You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: How to do a "Perspective Transform"?

Hi,

just bored and playing around a bit with Designer to get to know the application better (a good way to kill some time :) ).

So… I made this little keyboard (2D) and now I want to transform it into a more 3D-ish shape (like the trapezoid below.) How the heck can I do this?  :blink:

I'm quite sure I saw some perspective transform tool sometime, but I can't find it anymore... but maybe I'm confusing it with another application? When the keyboard group is activated and I go with the mouse to the top middle circular drag thingy I get the option to transform it into a parallelogram, but not into a trapezoid.

Help please!  :)

post-17131-0-05936400-1469909795_thumb.png

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys,

just today again I really could’ve used this function – or at least very a similar function with the same result – as well.

Maybe this could at least get added to the mentioned roadmap? At this point I’d rather have this feature instead of the
Mesh Warp filter which I personally find pretty imprecise for a simple perspective transform like shown in the attached file.
As I create mostly simplistic and »clean« logos or imagery in apps like AD or AI I never really had any use for it as far as
I can recall – but that’s very subjective of course.

As Matt already stated it’s a bummer we need come up with work arounds for (simple?) missing features like this.

Greetings

Dennis

perspective_transform.mp4

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2017 at 8:52 PM, MrDoodlezz said:

At this point I’d rather have this feature instead of the
Mesh Warp filter which I personally find pretty imprecise for a simple perspective transform like shown in the attached file.
As I create mostly simplistic and »clean« logos or imagery in apps like AD or AI I never really had any use for it as far as
I can recall – but that’s very subjective of course.

As Matt already stated it’s a bummer we need come up with work arounds for (simple?) missing features like this.

Agreed.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 4 weeks later...

I second this, a simple perspective warp would be very valuable, since we we already have a skew I was quite surprised that this was not there when I needed it. I could live without a mesh warp for a while, but it feels like a broken workflow to not have a perspective warp as it's so common a need (and feels like an extension of the skew feature).

When I needed this this was the first time I have had to resort to going back to photoshop to get it (And thereby creating a baked in non editable part of my composition).

Thanks for all you do, Designer is a great application.

• 2 years later...

Hello, Affinity friends. I, too, have yearned for this functionality since first purchasing Affinity Designer years ago. I am a proud owner of all of the Affinity Serif products, and use them for business and personal uses nearly every day. They are invaluable in my work as a software developer and educator.

Is there any published timeline for adding perspective warp/transform to Affinity Designer? If not, what about trapezoidal shear?

On 7/30/2016 at 3:24 PM, MEB said:

Hi tokay,

There isn't a Perspective Tool or Filter in Affinity Designer. Only Affinity Photo have them, so it's quite difficult/laborious to do what you want in Designer.

We already have a Mesh Warp distortion tool in Designer's roadmap.

The link to that roadmap no longer works. Is there a working URL to view the Affinity Designer roadmap?

13 minutes ago, curtissimo said:

If not, what about trapezoidal shear?

That's already possible. You can drag the stem of the central control handle or type a value into the transform panel.

Edit: unless you want a non parallelogram.

9 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Yes this functionality hurts: ;-)

Perspective.gif.bd371a8cb797dbf5a6fd2ab5a62128cb.gif

Exactly! Why have a massive panel show up with thousands of input fields when really what the user needs is to select the node tool to live edit?? - and yet that info is nowhere to be seen!! And then if you use the 'envelope distort' you get buttons next to the input fields for "edit on canvas" - no node tool required. Baffling.

nag nag. There are more options; Entry fields for matching values, Checkboxes for horizontally/vertically symmetrical alignments, setting parameters as defaults. History of the development is a totally different one from AD and it´s still used in scientific applications and environments.

For perspective drawing, you could also create a scaffold with pathes first (horizon, vanishing points and perspective construction lines), reduce them to one layer and lock them. Then you can draw along the construction lines or create rectangles and other figures and adapt them to the scaffold by dragging their nodes.

Not verry convenient (Inkscape has at least rotatable guidelines for such things), but it would work. Possibly easier than the perspective tools of some programs, that are - in my opinion - sometimes so unwieldy, that it drives you crazy.

51 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

nag nag.

It took me a while to reply as I've realised the error of my ways and decided to switch to Lynx as my web browser.

😀

On a serious note, do you know of any way/extension for InkScape to get "scrubby" type zoom?

3 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

That escapes me due a language barrier I guess. Anny other "formula" available?

Like in Designer, where with the zoom tool you hold the mouse button down and moving the mouse left zooms out and right zooms in progressively.