You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.8 (Windows)

Hi, I found a bug.

Changes colour of one letter in word in Swatches panel sometimes work and sometimes doesn't work.

Maby it's associated with "Known Issues: You will be unable to copy sub-selections of text (i.e. the 'ell' of 'hello'). Whole blocks of text are unaffected. This will be fixed in 1.5.0.9."

ctrl + minus working is a very nice improvement

I don't know whether this has been posted before but it seems to me the icons in the stroke panel for 'Align stroke to inside' and 'Align stroke to outside' are reversed. Not a new bug btw.

Quick question that doesn't deserve a new thread: This thread says Photoshop-style modifier dragging to change brush size and hardness is implemented, but I can't get it to work. Is this not implemented in the current build?

That thread is referring to the macOS build, we are yet to add it to the Windows build.

• Staff

Well, I ended up running regedit, searching for Affinity, and deleting [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\A3F452FAC88CD5E4D93D5F57A1F7944F] and all of its subkeys (though I exported it to a .reg file first, just in case that wouldn’t help). And, bingo, 1.5.0.8 now installed without a glitch!

Hi AdamStanislav, 

Please could you try uninstalling 1.5.0.8. Do you get the same problem? 

[EDIT] Also, what happens if you install 1.5.0.7 again and then uninstall it? 

Ok, I am now officially an Affinity Designer Fan! :-)

As I wrote on previous betas, I often generate massive vector files with Grasshopper through Rhino 3D.

One design came out of Rhino as 600 MB AI file and when I applied the needed effects in Illustrator CS6 and saved it, the file was a whooping 3+ GB!!!

Every change of the linewidths, colours etc. in Illustrator took about half an hour, in the end I never finished the design, since sooner or later Illustrator hang up on me and ran out of memory (I have "only" 32 GB).

Enter this latest beta of AD.

I exported from Rhino as EMF, which was only 88 MB in size compared to 600 MB as AI.

It loaded in AD rather quickly compared to Illustrator (although AD still does not show any loading hint, be it a rotating circle or a loading bar etc.) - something like half a minute or less.

I have set rendering to my second GPU, a GTX 980 TI with 6 GB, and while rendering is not really fast, it beats any other software I ever used on this kind of file by miles.

I then applied transparency to the ten-thousands of lines, different colours and a stroke profile.

Each change takes maybe a minute - compared to half an hour in Illustrator CS 6.

And memory consumption of AD is a mere 4 GB...

Thank you very much for enabling me to finally get rid of Illustrator. I hated it with a passion since Freehand was killed by Adobe...  :-)

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

Great work guys, the installation process is ok.

Here some issues im having a problem:

- When i export a selected artboard, always appears 1px extra (i working with some Google Ads and this 1px is bad)

- Using the align object tool, when i center a text or shape, the command goes ok, but when i click OK, the object center do the middle of the page. In every case this is happening now).

- The PSD format export, still export fonts as PX, i cannot edit the text.

- The export take SO LONG to convert a file for print in PDF mode

- I dont have all the print profiles

For now these are the points.

Keep the good work. :)

post-25162-0-85126000-1470163180_thumb.png

When I paste a placed image inside an object, its color shifts. When just dragging and clipping to the object the color is just fine. Pasting vector objects inside objects works fine too. Pasting pixel layers seems to be working too.

Hi AdamStanislav, 

Please could you try uninstalling 1.5.0.8. Do you get the same problem? 

[EDIT] Also, what happens if you install 1.5.0.7 again and then uninstall it? 

I wish you hadn’t asked that! Here is what happened:

I uninstalled 1.5.0.8 fine. I noticed it didn’t remove the shortcut from the desktop, so I double-clicked it. Windows said there was a problem and asked me if I wanted to wait, close, debug. I picked close, then right-clicked on the shortcut and asked to go to the directory. Everything was still there, the exe, the dlls, etc. I double-clicked the exe, same result as before. Presumably the uninstall just restored the directory to whatever was in it before I installed 1.5.0.8 (since I was unable to uninstall 1.5.0.7, only deleted the registry entry, the files were still there).

Next, I installed 1.5.0.7. I double-clicked on the shortcut and nothing. So I tried again, and this message popped up:

post-32179-0-55515200-1470107130_thumb.jpg

I uninstalled it. It performed a clean uninstall, including removing the files. I don’t know what possessed me, but I decided to install 1.5.0.7 for a second time. This time double-clicking showed the message that a new Beta was available. I clicked OK since I didn’t need to download it again. It showed the standard Affinity window, the black background and a message popped up that Affinity had recovered from a crash and would I like to send a report. I said yes, the popup disappeared, and then I was just staring at the black window for a long time. Eventually, I clicked on the icon to make the window smaller (the restore icon) and got a message from Windows that Affinity was not responding. So I told it to close.

I tried to run it again, but I always ended up in the black window with nothing happening. And now my entire system was down to a crawl. That is when I wished you hadn’t asked me to try installing 1.5.0.7 again, because it had always brought my system to a crawl.

I decided to see if I could install 1.5.0.8 over it, but since my system was now non-responsive, I decided I had enough. I cancelled the 1.5.0.8 install, uninstalled 1.5.0.7, and suddenly my system was running smoothly again. I then installed 1.5.0.8 from scratch, and the only thing that went wrong was that now Windows didn’t know what to open the *.afdesign files with and asked me if they belonged to the Opera browser.  :o

I was able to run 1.5.0.8 just fine, but I could not find any option for it to make itself the default software to open the afdesign files. So I right-clicked on one of those files, chose Open With, and had to actually go to the Affinity directory and click the executable to tell Windows to use it as the software to open the afdesign files with.

Adam

I absolutely loved the beta software.  Rarely glitched, I never lost any work so I did a lot on it.  Call me a fool, I know I read the warnings but since it was working great I started using it for my side hobby of t shirt designs and sales.  Got some great designs.  I figured I'll keep using the beta and buy it when it is available.  I've never been part of a beta test before.  Well today it tells me the time is up. 

Is that true or am I doing something wrong..the beta times out?? and with no warning?

I'd be willing to pay for the product as it is now, not looking for a freebie, but is there a work around to get it working, or at least open the files in inkscape?  OR can someone tell me when the windows version will be available for purchase (assuming it will open files created in the beta version which seems obvious but I am new to this beta thing)

Any help appreciated...keep up the great work..get the production windows on the market sooooonn!!!

Something to look forward, the .NET 4.6.2 will be part of the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 that will start rolling out today.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jeremykuhne/2016/07/30/net-4-6-2-and-long-paths-on-windows-10/

That means anyone with this update no longer needs to go through the long prerequisite install. :)

EDIT: The update is on!

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

I figured I'll keep using the beta and buy it when it is available.  I've never been part of a beta test before.  Well today it tells me the time is up. 

Is that true or am I doing something wrong..the beta times out?? and with no warning?

Which build do you have? My copy of 1.5.0.8 is still working fine, and I wouldn't expect it to expire at least until after 1.5.0.9 is released.

Is your system clock showing the correct date and time?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well today it tells me the time is up. 

Hi, I can only assume you're using an old version of the beta. If you look on page 1 of this thread, you'll see the download for the 1.5.0.8 version. Looking at my release logs, I can see that you must be using 1.5.0.5 or earlier.

• Staff

Next, I installed 1.5.0.7. [...] I uninstalled it. It performed a clean uninstall, including removing the files. 

Thanks Adam. So, your original "cannot be removed" problem has not happened again, when uninstalling either 1.5.0.7 or 1.5.0.8 - right? 

Sorry for all the trouble, we just need to know if this is a repeatable problem. 

Hello,

Just spotted that the Corner Tool did not work properly in the newest version of AD. Can't apply "Bake Corners" command to my curves. Press the button few times and this do nothing... 

Hello,

Just spotted that the Corner Tool did not work properly in the newest version of AD. Can't apply "Bake Corners" command to my curves. Press the button few times and this do nothing... 

Thanks for the report, we've got it logged and will have a fix soon.

With the artistic text tool the Justify Left, Right and Centre are the same as Align. Only Justify All works. Justify settings do work with a text frame.

Shift-clicking layer thumbnails to disable visibility only works on text, mask and adjustment layers. Other layers just shift-select.

With the artistic text tool the Justify Left, Right and Centre are the same as Align. Only Justify All works. Justify settings do work with a text frame.

That's to be expected, though. The intended behaviour for justify is that every line of a paragraph is justified except the last, which is aligned left/centre/right. Because Art text lines don't wrap, each paragraph has only one line, so there are no lines to justify.

I am afraid not as it is mentionned in the very first post..

"As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use"

I think 'moonjasper' is asking whether the beta release is licensed for commercial use. As far as I know, commercial use is allowed, but as it's a beta release it may not function as expected and you may lose your work. Another important point is that the file format may change, making it impossible for you to open previously saved documents.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That's to be expected, though. The intended behaviour for justify is that every line of a paragraph is justified except the last, which is aligned left/centre/right. Because Art text lines don't wrap, each paragraph has only one line, so there are no lines to justify.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I agree justify settings make much morse sense with text frames. But since these buttons never justify anything, even when using shift+enter, it would probably be better to disable/darken them in this context. Why have buttons you're not supposed to use?