You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 7)

• Staff

Have you tried restarting your machine?  Looks like the OSX advisory lock has got stock on the file.  If it keeps happening after a restart, let me know.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Have you tried restarting your machine?  Looks like the OSX advisory lock has got stock on the file.  If it keeps happening after a restart, let me know.

I do have the same problem from #26 post. I have to quit AD just to open the file again.

Hi Team Affinity,

first things first — congratulations on the constant evolving of the Affinity products. As a former long-term user of Adobe's products I'm very much delighted to see that Serif is putting so much effort in producing software which easily can cope in performance and will also be on par in terms of functionality within a short period of time, see if it won't!  ;)

With regards to the beta products which you give us to test I wanted to place an enquiry. Would it be possible to build the betas suchlike that they don't require the commercial version of their pendents to live in the Applications folder on Mac OS X (macOS)? I usually organise my programmes in sub-folders in the Applications folder just to maintain an uncluttered state of affairs.

Thanks in advance for your thought on this.

Please continue the terrific work on the Affinity products. We luv'em.  :)

Cheers,

Mati

The new 1.5 still uses the old 0-100 pixel rulers to modify the effects. i.e. the radius for the 3d effect. 

For a layout program which works with variable this appears to be quite unusual. It would be better if pt (point) would be used here to avoid dependency on the selected dpi of the document. 

I would prefer it, if we could also select these values in % - to make the size of the effect dependent on the size of the object. (Maybe by hotkey modifier - Command+Drag?)

I also noted that the radius of the effect does not change when I scale an object. This can be a benefit, but it can also be a disadvantage. 

Hi Julian23,

You can enter bigger values in the input field directly.

If you check Scale with object on the bottom left of the Layer Effects panel the effect should scale with the object.

The slider should not be fixed to 0-100 pix, its range should depend on the size of the document, so for large documents I can use larger values and for small objects smaller. 

Entering numbers directly is good if I know those numbers in advance, but not to "play". Further more pixels is not a suitable unit for a layout program.

Also DrawPlus X8 uses point and not pixels and Affinity also does, but not for effects just for line width.

I would expect that If I enter an effect when desiging a paper form at 1200dpi, a radius of "30" should look just like when I do the same when designing for screen at 96dpi. But with Affinity I will hardly see the effect in the first form, since 30pixels on 1200dpi are less than 1mm. 

Yes, I can multiply my "30" with 40 and enter the number manually. But is this really how it should be?

Ok, with the concept of affinity I can also use 72dpi all the time, but also then "pixels" makes no sense. 

Hi Team Affinity,

first things first — congratulations on the constant evolving of the Affinity products. As a former long-term user of Adobe's products I'm very much delighted to see that Serif is putting so much effort in producing software which easily can cope in performance and will also be on par in terms of functionality within a short period of time, see if it won't!  ;)

With regards to the beta products which you give us to test I wanted to place an enquiry. Would it be possible to build the betas suchlike that they don't require the commercial version of their pendents to live in the Applications folder on Mac OS X (macOS)? I usually organise my programmes in sub-folders in the Applications folder just to maintain an uncluttered state of affairs.

Cheers,

Mati

Crazy idea, but maybe you could make a symlink with ln -s command and just hide that file with chflags hidden command. Then it would look uncluttered if you're worried about Finder showing them, but should still work.

Hi Julian23,

I wonder whether your observation is related to Affinity's behavior I recently asked Matt about: when importing a pdf with fixed dimensions (e.g., 2x3cm) the pdf's physical size in Affinity will be different depending on the dpi setting in the Affinity document. This seems to be a bug and could be the same reason for AD not distinguishing correctly between points and pixels in your scenario.

- hubob

Hi Julian23,

I wonder whether your observation is related to Affinity's behavior I recently asked Matt about: when importing a pdf with fixed dimensions (e.g., 2x3cm) the pdf's physical size in Affinity will be different depending on the dpi setting in the Affinity document. This seems to be a bug and could be the same reason for AD not distinguishing correctly between points and pixels in your scenario.

- hubob

PDF does not use various dpi settings. Instead it uses resolution fixed at 72dpi but all coordinates are floating point values. I would expect also Affinity is using floating points so it should work fine to import a PDF at 72dpi. 

Crazy idea, but maybe you could make a symlink with ln -s command and just hide that file with chflags hidden command. Then it would look uncluttered if you're worried about Finder showing them, but should still work.

Hi,

that's exactly the craziness which I applied to solve the problem. I could even have used the SetFile -V command to hide the symlink in Finder (which I didn't to remind me to get rid off it again ;-)). Nevertheless, the procedure does not support my basic concept of not having all toys in the attic with regards to a hygienic Applications folder. :-)

Happy designing,

Mati

Hi Team Affinity,

Cheers,

Mati

Hi Mati,

I think the rationale behind that approach is that, while the beta softwares may have some teething issues to be ironed out, they are fully-fletch production-ready capable.   By not requiring a MAS version as a pre-requisite to running the beta software could me that some users could be using the beta software for paid work while Serif stuff get nothing back for their work.

Serif is not the only software company with this approach to using beta software. As an example, Sublime Text editor require a paid version license key to run the DEV or beta version.

While I understand your frustration, I have see this request/conversation a number of times in the forum and I am sure Serif has a good reason why they have taken the approach they have.

Also noting that the Windows beta version of AF doesn't require a paid version at the moment but I am sure once it moves from beta into a GA version, it will inherit the same fate as the MacOS beta versions.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nana

Hi Mati,

I think the rationale behind that approach is that, while the beta softwares may have some teething issues to be ironed out, they are fully-fletch production-ready capable.   By not requiring a MAS version as a pre-requisite to running the beta software could me that some users could be using the beta software for paid work while Serif stuff get nothing back for their work.

Serif is not the only software company with this approach to using beta software. As an example, Sublime Text editor require a paid version license key to run the DEV or beta version.

While I understand your frustration, I have see this request/conversation a number of times in the forum and I am sure Serif has a good reason why they have taken the approach they have.

Also noting that the Windows beta version of AF doesn't require a paid version at the moment but I am sure once it moves from beta into a GA version, it will inherit the same fate as the MacOS beta versions.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nana

Hi Nana,

thanks for your thoughts. However, I'm not arguing with the fact that the Mac beta cannot be run without having a commercial version already installed. I'm just asking for the possibility to build the betas in a way that they don't look for the commercial product in the Applications folder only, but use the file location database in Mac OS X (macOS) to find out where the commercial products lives. After downloading the Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo I moved them out of the Applications folder into another folder just to keep my Applications folder clean and tidy. With this I cannot use the betas without, for example, symlinking the commercial versions back to the Applications folder.

I "somehow" agree with Serif's policy to require a commercial product version to get a beta version up and running, but I don't quite understand why they require it to live in a specific folder while the OS provides means to check if the application is installed at all and, for that matter, where it lives.

Cheers,

Mati

First time I use the 1.5 version. My 1.4 beta is dead yesterday.

Happy to see negative values for rotation.

I've got an annoying bug when I rename groups : double-click is very capricious. A lot of double-click before accessing the text frame.

EDIT : one click is enough !

PDF does not use various dpi settings. Instead it uses resolution fixed at 72dpi but all coordinates are floating point values. I would expect also Affinity is using floating points so it should work fine to import a PDF at 72dpi. 

But shouldn't a pdf keep its dimensions regardless of whether it's imported into a 300dpi or a 72dpi document? Sure, I can set the Affinity document to 72dpi whenever I need to import a pdf to have the pdf display at the correct size, but that seems a little clumsy and might possibly mess up rasterized objects in the document...

But shouldn't a pdf keep its dimensions regardless of whether it's imported into a 300dpi or a 72dpi document? Sure, I can set the Affinity document to 72dpi whenever I need to import a pdf to have the pdf display at the correct size, but that seems a little clumsy and might possibly mess up rasterized objects in the document...

You will only bet a problem when you export 1:1 - if you export at larger scale bitmap resolution should not be changed.

Apologies for that! We are fixing this issue as we speak and a new build will be made available soon! :(

Hi Guys,

Export dont works korrect (Sorry my English is not English :-))

My Test:

• ArtBoard 512x512
  • Position a simple Graphic to BOTTOM RIGHT
  • In ExportPersona set a additional Slice for this Graphic
  • Export this Slice in SVG and PDF

RESULT

• exportet SVG: Graphic is korrekt + a big suspect Rectangle(selector or Mask)??
  • exportet PDF: Document has the Format from Artboard, not from Slice

Pleas see Attachments, i have all Original-Documents included.

Greetings from Austria

:-) Gerhard

Please dont forget this 

:-) Gerhard

Not sure if this has been reported yet but when exporting a PDF, (selection without background ticked) the file seems to come with a solid white background instead of "transparent white". The white background rectangle is always visible when later placed over non-white backdrop. Worse still, when pure white elements are exported all you get is a white rectangle. Am I doing something wrong?

Anyhow, great work as always with your updates!

Cheers,

Dan

• Staff

Hey @mattp I know you are busy fixing things but is it too late in the cycle to add arrowheads? It seems like an easy feature to implement and its very highly desired by many of us. Keep up the good work.

It's not an easy feature to implement....

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.