You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save for web and reduce file size

Hi,

I am using affinity designer, and I don't have the impression that you can export for web or really reduce size?

Is there a way to do that? I have a file, It's heave and I want it to export it at 700k more or less, and even when playing with the quality, it doest go even that low:

Anybody?

post-27873-0-49843700-1469700184_thumb.png

There is something weird going on your system. I tried to export 700X4000 JPEG with lots of small text (which compresses not so easily) and got 700 KB with quality value 91. So AD SHOULD export just usable JPG files.

• Staff

Hi Hugo Bertrand,

Would it be possible for you to send me the .afdesign file causing this issue so that I may look into this further for you?Any files you send to me will be deleted once I have looked at them if you would rather not post the file on this thread please feel free to send me a private message   :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 years later...
On 7/28/2016 at 5:59 PM, MEB said:

Hi Hugo,

In the JPG export dialog, click the More button and uncheck Embed metadata.

Hello, 

I'm trying to save a file so it's under 150kb, and I must be doing something wrong when I try to reduce the size. 

When I save my Affinity Designer document as a JPG with embed metadata unchecked, it's 577.53kb compared with the document with metadata checked which is 580.56kb. The best I can get, with quality set at 0, is 546.64kb. Could you advise me what I should do to get the image under 150kb please? 

thank you!

BeccaT

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 18.15.02.png

That

19 minutes ago, BeccaT said:

I'm trying to save a file so it's under 150kb, and I must be doing something wrong when I try to reduce the size. 

When I save my Affinity Designer document as a JPG with embed metadata unchecked, it's 577.53kb compared with the document with metadata checked which is 580.56kb. The best I can get, with quality set at 0, is 546.64kb. Could you advise me what I should do to get the image under 150kb please? 

That's an oddly large file size for a 250x100 px exported JPG. Even at 100% quality and including the ICC profile and metadata I can't get a JPG that size much bigger than 30K or so. Can you give us a copy of the .afdesign document?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, BeccaT said:

Thanks @walt.farrellfor offering to look at this for me! :)

You're welcome.

So, here's something interesting. If you output your CMYK document as RGB instead of CMYK it's only 28KB. I'm not sure why a CMYK JPEG file is so much larger when Designer produces it.

I opened the CMYK JPEG file in IrfanView and resaved, and it dropped to about 15KB. Also, unchecking Embed ICC Profile during Export from Designer (on the More...) page drops it to about 33KB.

As exported from Designer, in CMYK, and with the ICC Profile included, exiftool shows a bunch of binary data that is missing from the version saved by IrfanView, but I have no idea what it is:
image.png.bdf8734ddafccbbfaa3400156279f0b3.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, walt.farrell said:

As exported from Designer, in CMYK, and with the ICC Profile included, exiftool shows a bunch of binary data that is missing from the version saved by IrfanView, but I have no idea what it is:

My guess is the obvious one: it is the embedded ICC profile data.

When I open the file on my Mac, it is set to use the "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) V2" Color profile. In the resources of the Mac version of Affinity Designer is a file named "USWebCoatedSWOP.icc" & its file size is 557 KB. If I just change the document color profile to the "Generic CMYK Profile" the export size drops to about 90 KB at the 100% JPEG quality setting, which correlates well with the size of the built-in Mac OS System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles file of the same name, because its file size is 55 KB. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7