You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

'Create Slice' button creates mis-aligned and incorrectly sized slices

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or because it's something I'm doing wrong but quite often AD (for no obvious reason) gets confused about the size and position of a slice.

For example, at 0,0 I have a image (various layers in a group) that is 256x256px in size (there are no layers that have bounding boxes that exceed these dimensions). If I select it in the Layers tab of the Export Persona and hit the 'Create Slice' button, it creates a slice 272x272 at -8,-8. I have a page with dozens of images on them and I'm having to manually correct the size and position of each slice.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,

Neil

lightpillar.com

• Staff

The slice box calculation takes into account line/stroke widths and layer affects, but it is a best guess approximation.  It is also rounded and oversized to whole pixels.

You may found a bug if it's oversizing more than a couple of pixels (if you have no layer effects).

One option to help clean slice box creation is to make your nodes a child of a clean rectangle layer, on pixel with no fill or line.  It will clip the children, but the slice will be calculated on that box.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I think it's a bug. The largest layer in the group is a 256px circle that has an internal 8px Outline fx. If I disable this, it correctly creates a 256x256px slice.

It clearly thinks the outline is external when it is not. Looks like a genuine bug to me.

Your suggestion of moving the children into a parent object helps get around the issue.

Cheers,

Neil

lightpillar.com

• Staff

Upload a test file and I'll take a look.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Ben,

File attached.

It shows a 224x224px circle with a 16px outline fx (sitting on a 256px square for visual reference).

When you 'Create Slice', it creates a 258x258px slice. I was expecting the same difference as I first reported so there must be something at play influencing the miscalculation - I just can't figure out what so hopefully the debugger will tell you.

Cheers,

Neil

Outline Slices Bug.afdesign

lightpillar.com