You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm kinda stuck here and not sure what to do next.  I've attached a screen capture.  What I've done so far is masked out just the car and applied a threshold to the car.  You can see the transparent section around the car, and then the black and white portions of the car.  What I want to do is replace all the transparent part and all the white part with a particular shade of blue.  So the image will result with only two colors - black and that light blue.

I tried putting a large blue rectangle on a layer beneath all this, but two problems.  One, it doesn't affect the white.  Two, the threshold layer above it turns the blue into solid black anyway.  Tried doing a color replacement brush on the white but oddly it never too effect, even after I merged the threshold and masked layers into one.

1. So the obvious first question is, what are my next steps.

2. Next question is, can a layer mask be copied from one layer onto another layer? (not moved, copied).

3. Can I use the black and white image as a mask layer itself to let the blue background bleed through?

4. Any way to do this AND keep the threshold layer live so that I can play with the setting and see the blue/black result in real time?

Thanks!

Okay, so your Threshold is affecting not only the car but also the blue.... turning it to white (if it were turned on in the layers panel that is).

So the Threshold needs to be nested "inside" the car layer so it's only affecting that individual element.

Nest it by dragging onto the car layer.

Now give the car itself a blend of Multiply.

post-12544-0-81550800-1469589618_thumb.png

or with a mask too... (masks are pretty rough. quick mock-ups here.)

post-12544-0-07346700-1469589723_thumb.png

I'm sure there are other recipes. This is just what occurred to me first.