You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Technical drawing tools

I am currently trialling Affinity Designer and I like what I see however there does not seem to be many  technical drawing tools - are there any plans to add auto-dimensioning or auto area labels? Similarly some intelligence for supporting the creation of basic electrical or pneumatic schematic diagrams?

I am also interested in Autodesk Graphic (previously iDraw) mainly because it appears to have genuinely useful technical drawing tools although Affinity Designer certainly looks to be better suited to creative users.

• Staff

Hi GEEB,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your interest in Designer :)  There's certainly nothing on the immediate horizon that will answer all of your technical drawing needs - we have discussed them in the office many times and have a very definite interest in the area, but the feeling at the moment is that they may arrive in the form of another product, or perhaps Persona in the fullness of time. I am obviously just telling you this now in the interests of fairness so that if you're planning on investing in one product or another then I may suggest that right now Graphic would be a better fit for your needs in this respect.

Thanks again - and here's hoping you have a greater need for creative software in the future that we can fulfil!

Matt

Thanks for your reply Matt, and indeed your candour regarding where I should invest in the shorter term if I need to have that technical functionality. After I posted I also had the thought of maybe addressing it via a "technical persona" ... now that would be really great! 

Addressing it with a different product would not be a good idea in my humble opinion as you are then competing against "proper" CAD products and the development needed to get it taken seriously would be far greater than just adding limited CAD functionality to Designer - as a persona for example. I personally would not object to purchasing the Technical Persona as a plug-in or add-on as long as the price was right. 

• 2 months later...

- we have discussed them in the office many times and have a very definite interest in the area, but the feeling at the moment is that they may arrive in the form of another product, or perhaps Persona in the fullness of time. 

I would be more than happy for there to be a separate 2D CAD Affinity app. There's a gaping hole in the market for something like this, a Mac-Like drafting app that doesn't have it's roots in AutoCAD would be top of my shopping list. I've been searching for something like a more streamlined, less bloated 2D version of Vectorworks (that doesn't cost 4 figures!) for years now. I understand it would be a fairly limited market compared to Designer, but an in-app purchase of CAD tools or a simplified version of Designer with CAD features wold be something I'd buy in an instant. Even if it were quite a bit more expensive than AD! 

Interested too, I would prefer technical persona/plugin. 2D CAD can be daunting area with different disciplines and libraries and heavy competition. My needs would be just for simple projects (not worth launching ArchiCAD) or publishing.