You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

I want to draw a double circle arrow for my origami tutorial ebook, I used ronniemcbride method to create the arrow head, then I create a circle and convert it to curve and cut it into half and duplicate it to become the double arrow circle, like below, but the arrow head is crooked, how do I make perfect double circle arrow?

Left: arrowhead brush created by me
Right: arrowhead brush created by ronniemcbride

post-15281-0-73906000-1469547577_thumb.png

Hey Johnny,

Are you after something more like this?

Allan

post-9020-0-34070900-1469553227_thumb.png

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hi, This is just a guide you might have to make some adjustments depending on size.

Step 1: Choose the pie tool and hold shift key and click + drag on the canvas 

post-9020-0-50964000-1469637723_thumb.png

Step 2: Select pie and adjust hole radius, start and end angles.....

post-9020-0-42877000-1469637643_thumb.png

Step 3: Add a triangle shape and place on curve then make any needed adjustments so they line up

post-9020-0-44034200-1469637674_thumb.png

Step 4: Group both shapes by selecting and using shortcut CMD + G the duplicate group CMD + J and rotate in to position 

post-9020-0-84235700-1469637747_thumb.png

Hope this helps...

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Hi, This is just a guide you might have to make some adjustments depending on size.

Step 1: Choose the pie tool and hold shift key and click + drag on the canvas 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-27 at 17.26.58.png

Step 2: Select pie and adjust hole radius, start and end angles.....

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-27 at 17.28.06.png

Step 3: Add a triangle shape and place on curve then make any needed adjustments so they line up

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-27 at 17.28.36.png

Step 4: Group both shapes by selecting and using shortcut CMD + G the duplicate group CMD + J and rotate in to position 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-27 at 17.36.43.png

Hope this helps...

Allan

Nice! But is there a way I can use my self made arrow head brush instead? I would like it to be same design as my self made arrow head vector line.

Nice! But is there a way I can use my self made arrow head brush instead? I would like it to be same design as my self made arrow head vector line.

Not sure I fully understand. Do you just want to add your own arrowhead instead of the triangle I suggested? What do you mean by "same design"?

Allan

I think Johnny wants to be able to use a brush instead of discrete shapes, but without the head of the brush getting distorted when the stroke follows a curve. I don't believe this is possible, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Maybe... Not sure I would work the way Johhny did in his first post. I agree, unless you create a brush like that, but then why not just use a shape? Hopefully he'll clarify...

Johnny are you after something more like this? if so it just means reducing the hole radius and moving and reshaping the triangle...

post-9020-0-34231600-1469706856_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe... Not sure I would work the way Johhny did in his first post. I agree, unless you create a brush like that, but then why not just use a shape? Hopefully he'll clarify...

Johnny are you after something more like this? if so it just means reducing the hole radius and moving and reshaping the triangle...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-28 at 12.40.35.png

I think Johnny wants to be able to use a brush instead of discrete shapes, but without the head of the brush getting distorted when the stroke follows a curve. I don't believe this is possible, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!

Hey guys, thanks for your reply, yeah, I break the rule! I have created the double arrow circle by myself using the brush I created.

Instead of using pie tool, I use circle(I think pie can do it too), I remove the Fill, so the remain is only the stroke, so I convert it to curve and chose my arrowhead brush for the stroke, it will show only one arrow, of course.

So next, I use node tool to select the top and bottom node and I break the node one by one, now it become the double arrowhead I wanted! Hurray!!!

post-15281-0-42870400-1470645952_thumb.png

The reason I want to use my brush is because I'm making an ebook, and I dealing with not just a page, tons, and there's a lot of reuse of the vector line/curve like this to show the folding method, and it will looks good if all my vector line is equal width/design, so the shape method advised from you is ok but not suitable for my case as it take longer and will never looks the same as my designed brush. So I hope this explained! :D

But now I have to make another vector line like this image below, I'm not sure what it call but in origami terminology, it's the turn over symbol, I'm not sure how to make the perfect accurate one(not randomly draw some line and done but with well measure, precisely symmetry), I use the same circle with same width(not the brush, but just same width), and draw 2 same width curve line and move to both direction on top of the circle, I'm not sure this looks good, how do you guys think?

post-15281-0-38622800-1470645973_thumb.png

If you guys want to try, I will publish the whole set of brush I designed after my ebook done, in the moment you can try Ronnie's brush!

But now I have to make another vector line like this image below, I'm not sure what it call but in origami terminology, it's the turn over symbol, I'm not sure how to make the perfect accurate one(not randomly draw some line and done but with well measure, precisely symmetry), I use the same circle with same width(not the brush, but just same width), and draw 2 same width curve line and move to both direction on top of the circle, I'm not sure this looks good, how do you guys think?

I'm also not sure that looks quite right, Johnny. I think the head and tail of the arrow need to project more smoothly from the top of the circle, like this:

post-8358-0-47771600-1470660619_thumb.png

I've attached an Affinity Designer file showing the construction. It was created in AD on Windows beta 1.5.0.10, so you will need the 1.5 beta version if you want to open it on a Mac.

Edit: Looking again at your screenshot, it looks different from when I first saw it: it isn't kinked at the top, so it looks OK now. Have you replaced your original version with a new one?

Origami_turn-over.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png

I thought the problem is/was the curves in the arrow heads themselves...

I thought so too, but it looks as though this was intended as a supplementary question:

But now I have to make another vector line like this image below

Alfred spacer.png

Hey guys, thanks for your reply, yeah, I break the rule! I have created the double arrow circle by myself using the brush I created.

Instead of using pie tool, I use circle(I think pie can do it too), I remove the Fill, so the remain is only the stroke, so I convert it to curve and chose my arrowhead brush for the stroke, it will show only one arrow, of course.

So next, I use node tool to select the top and bottom node and I break the node one by one, now it become the double arrowhead I wanted! Hurray!!!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-08-08 at 4.33.17 PM.png

The reason I want to use my brush is because I'm making an ebook, and I dealing with not just a page, tons, and there's a lot of reuse of the vector line/curve like this to show the folding method, and it will looks good if all my vector line is equal width/design, so the shape method advised from you is ok but not suitable for my case as it take longer and will never looks the same as my designed brush. So I hope this explained! :D

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-08-08 at 4.33.45 PM.png

If you guys want to try, I will publish the whole set of brush I designed after my ebook done, in the moment you can try Ronnie's brush!

If it works, it works, great... :)

in version 1.5 (BETA at the moment ) you have an assets panel, so you could create the symbols you need and save them as assets to be able to quickly reuse them...

I thought the problem is/was the curves in the arrow heads themselves...

So I thought, it certainly was how I read the first post... anyway all has been explained now. :D

Allan

I'm also not sure that looks quite right, Johnny. I think the head and tail of the arrow need to project more smoothly from the top of the circle, like this:

attachicon.gifOrigami_turn-over.png

I've attached an Affinity Designer file showing the construction. It was created in AD on Windows beta 1.5.0.10, so you will need the 1.5 beta version if you want to open it on a Mac.

Edit: Looking again at your screenshot, it looks different from when I first saw it: it isn't kinked at the top, so it looks OK now. Have you replaced your original version with a new one?

so you means mine is ok already or need to improve? I checked yours from the QuickLook, the bottom one is same as mine or made by you?

If it works, it works, great... :)

in version 1.5 (BETA at the moment ) you have an assets panel, so you could create the symbols you need and save them as assets to be able to quickly reuse them...

So I thought, it certainly was how I read the first post... anyway all has been explained now. :D

Allan

ok to clear the misunderstand, I was asking about the double arrow, and now I have done it by myself and it's solved, now I asking for another type of arrow circle like the new one(i'm not sure what's the name!)

so you means mine is ok already or need to improve? I checked yours from the QuickLook, the bottom one is same as mine or made by you?

Yours is OK already, Johnny. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like this (exaggerated to show the problem):

post-8358-0-92375900-1470830966_thumb.png

The one at the bottom of my page was made by me. It's just an enlarged copy of the one on the right in the top row, with a triangle added for the arrowhead.

Alfred spacer.png