You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Contour Tool in Corel, a powerful tool

Hallo,

in Corel Draw is a very good tool - Contour Tool.

See please video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii--qq0qm6w

With this tool is possible to produce gold ;) :

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-311796260/stock-photo-gold-earrings-with-green-gem-set-of-antique-gold-jewel-in-art-deco-style-nostalgic-vintage-patterns-metallic-brass-jewelry-eps-10-vector.html

This tool  I can not compensate anything in Affinity. :(

• Staff

Hi Shalom3,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was requested quite a few times and will be implemented in a future version.

Meanwhile you can select the object you want to create an outline for, give it a stroke (use the width of the stroke to control the offset from the original object), then go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke (it becomes an independent object) and then with just the stroke selected go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry Divide to create a shape from each of the stroke lines. Delete the inner shape and you end up with an outline/contour of the original object (the outer shape).

I am slightly amazed that it is still not a part of the program. Every vector based program can do this....even the cheap free ones....

Please make this a priority on the feature list, it is a real turn off for me to not have this option. I believe it does exist in Affinity Photo if I am correct ?

• Staff

@RGBLASER

No, Affinity Photo also doesn't have it. What you have currently available in both programs is the Outline FX which will create an outline from the object you have selected, however this is a raster based FX rather than vector based. This wasn't implemented in Designer/Photo simply because there wasn't time/resources to implement/develop all possible basic features for the first release. It should be available in a future update/version.