You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer and native Apple Motion shapes

Hi, 

The last couple of weeks i’ve been using Designer to draw simple vector graphics to use in Apple Motion. By exporting the art boards as PDF files I’m able to import the shapes into Apple Motion without losing resolution. 

However, since this is the first time I’m using Designer instead of Adobe Illustrator, I'm realising I’m missing a feature. In Illustrator I had an plug-in that allowed me to export the shapes as Motion shapes. The Motion shapes then could be easily animated in Apple Motion by applying the build in behaviours. 

Although the ability to export the shapes in Illustrator as Motion shapes was not a feature of Illustrator itself, I would love to see this feature to appear in Affinity Designer. 

So my feature request; Will you guys and girls add the ability to export a shape as a (native) Motion shape?

— Joey

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I perfectly understand what You are asking for – I've been there last summer, working with AD and Motion on 60 secs of an "infomercial". If I may suggest a solution that worked for me?

If Your animated shapes do not scale too much:

1) You can obviously export single objects or selected groups as PNG files with doubled resolution. Worked for me up to a dozen of objects.

2) You can also export the composition as s layered PSD. Again make sure Your document has twice the final resolution. Choose the preset "PSD (Final Cut Pro X). You can then import the PSD into Motion with individual layers (=objects). This way I was able to import a simple character into Motion for rigging and animation.

RD

Hi,

I perfectly understand what You are asking for – I've been there last summer, working with AD and Motion on 60 secs of an "infomercial". If I may suggest a solution that worked for me?

If Your animated shapes do not scale too much:

1) You can obviously export single objects or selected groups as PNG files with doubled resolution. Worked for me up to a dozen of objects.

2) You can also export the composition as s layered PSD. Again make sure Your document has twice the final resolution. Choose the preset "PSD (Final Cut Pro X). You can then import the PSD into Motion with individual layers (=objects). This way I was able to import a simple character into Motion for rigging and animation.

RD

The imported Files are Images not bezier shapes

• 2 years later...