You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to blend multiple images?

I've read similar questions to this, but my question refers to blending side by side images together, and/or blending one or more images onto a background (not using blending modes). In other words, blending the edges with the other photo or background

For instance in Photoshop, you use the gradient tool (black to transparent) to blend all edges of one photo that you have placed onto another photo to blend the edges seamlessly. 

I haven't found a good way to do this with Affinity Photo or Design.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blending two side-by-side images is pretty straightforward: you just need to overlap the images, choose the Transparency Tool ('wine glass') and drag across from the top image to the bottom one, keeping the start and end transparency nodes within the overlap area. As for more complex scenarios, I'll leave those to someone who is more experienced with the Affinity suite.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, thank you! That answered blending two images. I appreciate your help!

If anyone has an answer to the second part of my question: "blending one or more images onto a background (not using blending modes). In other words, blending the edges with the other photo or background. For instance in Photoshop, you use the gradient tool (black to transparent) to blend all edges of one photo that you have placed onto another photo to blend the edges seamlessly. "  I would appreciate! 

I thought I could achieve "blending one or more images onto a background" by applying a gradient transparency to fade out the left and right edges of the top image(s), rasterizing the result and then applying a second gradient transparency to fade out the top and bottom edges, but my second transparency didn't show up and I got a crash when I tried to undo it.

Alfred spacer.png

you can also add 4 masks to each image and apply a gradient for each border to each mask

gradients applied to photoshop just work differently in Affinity, they replace the whole mask rather than just adding to the mask 

you can also add 4 masks to each image and apply a gradient for each border to each mask

gradients applied to photoshop just work differently in Affinity, they replace the whole mask rather than just adding to the mask 

Thank you, MBd!  However, I have tried this, yet it doesn't give a "seamless" or "realistic" look. Perhaps it is the way in which I executed this task.  I do understand the gradient in PS is different. The gradient used for blending images (black to transparent) works beautifully. 

I thought I could achieve "blending one or more images onto a background" by applying a gradient transparency to fade out the left and right edges of the top image(s), rasterizing the result and then applying a second gradient transparency to fade out the top and bottom edges, but my second transparency didn't show up and I got a crash when I tried to undo it.

Alfred, I had a similar issue. AD froze and then crashed. 

Maybe I'm missing the meat of the question....

In AP I stacked two masks.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.15.35 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.18.49 PM.png

In AD you can do the exact same thing. Or......what I ended up doing...Transparency tool in one direction and a mask in the other.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.28.20 PM.png

I'm sure I've missed something.....?

Thanks, JimmyJack. Masking works quite nicely for this in AD (although the wording 'Mask to Below' on the Layers panel's context menu initially had me a little confused about the required stacking order).

Alfred spacer.png

Masking works quite nicely for this in AD (although the wording 'Mask to Below' on the Layers panel's context menu initially had me a little confused about the required stacking order).

Cool. Yeah, "Mask to Below" is a little odd, but once ya do it a couple of times....

Here's another tip for the PS people (and non PS people too I guess).

Whenever possible I much prefer (and recommend) using shapes with gradient opacity inputs as your masks. (instead of clicking Mask Layer)

This way the gradient control handles are preserved and editable. Even in the mask position. 

With a pixel layer mask, once the gradient is done, it's baked in. If it's not right ya gotta start over.

• 1 year later...