You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug - Symbols not updating

I'm not sure whether this is me not understanding symbols properly or not, however, when I have Synchronise selected and have Power Duplicated a Symbol updating one of the symbols with a new colour only updates the symbols following the selected one.

1) Open the Symbols tab

2) Draw an elipse and fill with a red

3) Click on Create, the Symbol is created in the tab

4) Ctrl+J this symbol and drag to one side

5) Ctrl+J to Power duplicate the symbol the same distance as the second symbol

6) Ctrl+J a few more times

7) Select the fifth (random number but not the first three)

8) Change the colour

Observe:

The later symbols update as does the Symbol in the Symbols tab but the first few do not there is a redraw issue which can be overcome by zooming the workspace.

See screenshots:

post-28493-0-23912000-1469452285_thumb.png post-28493-0-44941600-1469452369_thumb.pngpost-28493-0-70283500-1469452517_thumb.png

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

• Staff

Hi Ken.

You said you are power duplicating them? Can you check if the newly created symbols are being identified as Symbols or Groups in the Layers panel please?

We are already aware of an issue where symbols aren't being correctly redrawn when you change one of the instances. Zooming in/out will force a refresh updating all instances on screen.

Hi Ken.

You said you are power duplicating them? Can you check if the newly created symbols are being identified as Symbols or Groups in the Layers panel please?

Hi, they're being identified as groups.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

I have also problems with symbols - and also wondering if it's a bug or just me not understanding how they work? Probably the latter ;-) A better help/instructions would be nice.

Correction: this went to wrong forum - i'm using Windows, not Mac  :unsure: Anyway (as help texts are presumably same in both versions), more detailed info about use of symbols is needed.

• 1 year later...
On 26/7/2016 at 2:27 PM, janndk said:

I have also problems with symbols - and also wondering if it's a bug or just me not understanding how they work? Probably the latter ;) A better help/instructions would be nice.

I second this.. using ctr- j to duplicate, but now they dont act as symbols. 
not sure why since they started as one. 

Hmm it seem that if you have more than one layer in you symbol. you will need to group them first in order to get the symbols to respond to your editing. 
then as Ken noted earlier. 
*Group + create symbol + drag a new symbol, witch distance you need to set by yourself. + Ctr-j + as many times as you want. + edit the first. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.