You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch layer rename/find replace + layer name shortcut

I know to some this may seem to be going too deep, but one feature that would be tremendously helpful in Affinity Designer for UI work is the ability to rename multiple layers or find and replace in a selection of multiple layers. When creating a lot of different similar layers, it's great to make a selection and be able to add or change a folder prefix, for instance. Adding the ability to create a shortcut for renaming a current layer also helps make things just a bit faster in heavy workflows. I use these in plugin form elsewhere and it saves tons of time.

• 10 months later...

I'll add my vote to batch renaming layers.

I often have layers like:

[folder]

t02.1_g01_s05_over

t02.1_g01_s04_over

t02.1_g01_s03_over

t02.1_g01_s02_over

[folder[

t02.1_g01_s05

t02.1_g01_s04

t02.1_g01_s03

t02.1_g01_s02

Having to do this in one file is ok, but at the moment I'm working on a yearly batch of interactive projects for which I get hundreds of files I have to prepare for incorporating into the projects.

Setting a base name and renaming all layers in one go would be a massive time saver. Sequential naming even better. A bit like having "a better finder rename" inside designer.  You could indeed use an external app and rename after exporting but that becomes a nightmare if you have to go back and change something to re-export.

Bert

• 11 months later...

My layer names are more complex, but I need the same functionality. I have to do a fair amount of FPO photography of may items in a single shot, then separate the items to their own layers. But I still need to refer back to the original photo for every one of them, and I want iterative names like "Red dots 1",  "Red dots 32", and so on. Batch renaming would make my life much easier and enable me to move more of my workflow to Affinity software.

• 2 months later...

I too could really use an efficient way to batch-rename or batch-edit layer names. I often have to import a group of photographs of the same subject or the same type of subject into a master document. Those photos may be moved up and down the layer stack, or dispersed all over the master document. I have to be able to track them. Better yet, when I have more than 25 layers, I need to be able to search them, by name, content type, or attributes such as blend mode.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, betheve31 said:

Has anyone found a solution for batch renaming layers/slices? 

Hello @betheve31,

welcome to the forum.

Currently there is no way to batch rename layers.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, betheve31 said:

Has anyone found a solution for batch renaming layers/slices? 

An external macro utility.
On Mac, I can recommend Keyboard Maestro.
You can set up text input forms, variables, loops, clipboard search & replace, etc., whatever you need.
A simple example from another thread and in another context, but you'll get the picture:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Horst Wiesner!

Find and Replace is only part of Affinity Publisher. Usually AD files span not so many pages, but yes, it would be good to have this feature also for AD.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 minutes ago, Horst Wiesner said:

Is there any mention from the developers to implement it?

The developers won't comment on feature requests for various reasons. As a side note, Affinity Publisher is the Serif equivalent to Indesign.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 11 months later...