You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.0.19988)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Submitted

Improvements / Features / Fixes

- Implemented OpenType GPOS support

- CMYK JPEG export correctly writes the DPI

- Brush panel head and tail sections for vector brushes are now expressed as pixels, not percentages

- Fix for blurry view tabs in Yosemite

- Deselect will always do something sensible with both raster and vector selections

- Share menu item for FlickR reinstated

- Sharing panels now allow the user to type the text they intended, rather than disallowing certain characters!

- Changing the Transparency Tool's type in the context toolbar results in a useful default

- SVG text import now supports the 'dx' and 'dy' deltas if they are specified

Looks pretty amazing :) I'm looking forward to get a wacon.

I don't know for you, but for me, if i want to transform any figure, the space where appear the skew , rotate or scalling simbols it's too tiny.... I can't hardly manage them...

1.1 works the same... I don't know why i didn't realized before...

I'm in Yosemite.

Now it works.....

Still waiting for document size bug to be fixed.  :(

I created 200px * 200px document (retina checked out)

post-1285-0-06258200-1414426709_thumb.png

As you can see the rulers show the correct size in px, but the document is two times bigger than it should be - in this case - 400px * 400px

post-1285-0-11994700-1414426747_thumb.png

MattP said it is simple bug, so it would be awesome if it would get fixed - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1612-document-size-shows-wrong-on-retina-displays/?p=6764 :)

Thanks for great work! :)

EDIT:

Just saw post, that this bug is fixed, but the document shows up the same way like in the 1.1.0

Here are comparison between Beta and 1.1.0 Release version.

post-1285-0-22873100-1414427307_thumb.png

post-1285-0-15054800-1414427308_thumb.png

Also pixel images shows up in bad quality at 100% on Retina displays:

How it should look on 100%:

post-1285-0-97741900-1414427681_thumb.jpg

How it looks:

post-1285-0-02310300-1414427687_thumb.png

I think document size shouldn't be shown the in same physical size on Retina and non-Retina displays (other things however should), because even Apple when they presented new iMac with Retina displays said, that it's possible to edit 4K video on 100% size. :)

Hey guys,

in my opinion it is quite irritating that the color of an active document tab is the opposite to all other active / inactive tabs like

Colour, Swatches, Stroke etc.

I think it would be less irritating if the active document tab has the same light gray color like the other tabs and

the inactive document tabs should be darker.

• Staff

Davis,

Your bug is "By Design"..

Would it be correct that if you, on a Retina display, "Zoom to 100%" and it would look different to some person on a non-Retina display?

Photoshop currently implements the behaviour you ask for - and pretty much everyone hates it (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1245069).

We must make a decision here - and we have decided to show the document at "100% of a non-Retina screen" zoom, for all users.

You can always do Cmd-9 to zoom to "Print" size (should maybe be called "Physical" size), which will obey the natural DPI size of the document.

This is all a simple question - what size is a pixel? Apple say that a pixel is the same size, Retina or not - so we stick with this..

If you need a 50% zoom shortcut, let me know - we can do that...

A

Just played with the brushes a bit in Pixel persona. Everything feels good and responsive on my wacom graphire...

Two suggestions that might make the experience a bit better for painting... the ability to rotate the document, this is something that can be crucial - and enabling the zoom shortcuts - command > space and command option > space. When using a pen and tablet there's no scroll wheel and going to the navigator panel is a bit of a break in flow...

will try the divide and expand stroke  next...

cheers guys!

Davis,

Your bug is "By Design"..

Would it be correct that if you, on a Retina display, "Zoom to 100%" and it would look different to some person on a non-Retina display?

Photoshop currently implements the behaviour you ask for - and pretty much everyone hates it (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1245069).

We must make a decision here - and we have decided to show the document at "100% of a non-Retina screen" zoom, for all users.

You can always do Cmd-9 to zoom to "Print" size (should maybe be called "Physical" size), which will obey the natural DPI size of the document.

This is all a simple question - what size is a pixel? Apple say that a pixel is the same size, Retina or not - so we stick with this..

If you need a 50% zoom shortcut, let me know - we can do that...

A

Awesome answer. We call it pedagogy. And is a must for all. Because the common sense is the few common of the senses. That is the attitude. I, as graphic designer and power user of macs since 1992, am fed up of not logical solutions.

I know that every decision is a compromise, but this kind of things must have to listen a very important voice: the voice of the productivity of a person that spend a lot of hours drawing and drawing and drawing. If you improve the the way that a operation or routine is executed we will be happier.

FreeHand always has this philosophy. The application was conceived and developed by designers to designers. That's the naked true.

The proof is the image of this answer attached (In spanish language).

This afternoon I needed to join a group of simple objects. I have a collection of CDs containing 150.000 clip-art EPSs. Well this file has several silhouettes. Well, really there are the silhouettes and a duplicate behind of the same silhouettes without fill and a stroke of a certain thickness.

I do not understand and never will understand the obsession of Illustrator to make groups by himself. If you have groups, then be ready to suffer, because you must ungroup all the time to be able to manipulate any object in the screen.

Why, oh why Illustrator says you can not join several figures and even Illustrator shows a window that says: You must use the Join Command when the window that appears is the result of apply the Join Command.

Sorry by the rude language, but this is a joke from the real hell. Or using another words a Big S*it. Imagine all the day with things like this. I hate hate hate Illustrator!!!

If I can not do certain operations who writes the code an the UX of Illustrator? I professional pranker? The Joker of Batman? Are you joking at me?

The same thing in Affinity Designer (or Freehand): Select the figures -> Join. Work Done!!!! Ladies and Gentleman: incredible. I can work. I can breathe, I can keep on working, I can go to the next step of the design. My work is not interrupted with silly things. I am HAPPY.

So, to all the team behind Serif Affinity Designer: We love you. We love you so much... Thanks for make the graphic designers, illustrators, artists of drawing all around the world, happy people that not have to be worried about the internals of a application. They just want to do their job. Why Adobe keep on make things worse and worse? Deep mystery for me... Maybe because as the second software company behind Microsoft is right now in hands of financial executives nor artists. Art and customer satisfaction is behind the money. Bad for them... All interested people in this things know about its monopolistic practices.

http://www.enrichdesign.com/fhblog/index.php?m=02&y=12&entry=entry120210-103505

In spanish: http://www.faq-mac.com/noticias/entrevista-creador-freehand-james-von-ehr/47510

Again: thank you very much. Really :)

post-186-0-48252500-1414548221_thumb.png

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

hi ralix, are you referring to something different than the arrows in the shapes tool? 

Yes, any open ended line (as opposed to closed loop) ought to be able to have an arrow head placed on its ends (or, ideally, evenly spaced along the path though I'm willing to wait for that :). The shapes tool is way too limited for this as you cannot put arrowheads on curved lines.

• Staff

I noticed the slow panning in the brush tool as well - but I think I can fix it extremely easily, so this should be fixed for the next beta version (fingers-crossed!)

I'm on a iMac with Retina.

...now you're just trying to make me jealous! haha ;)

Awesome! Thanks for the speedy reply. Keep up the amazing work!

I noticed the slow panning in the brush tool as well - but I think I can fix it extremely easily, so this should be fixed for the next beta version (fingers-crossed!)

...now you're just trying to make me jealous! haha ;)

Greetings Affinity team and fellow users. Plugging along with this nifty app of yours and figuring its place in my workflows, which testing new features yet to be released would seem to assist with. Unfortunately the beta keeps prompting me to purchase the app(which I have) when I try to run it, any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.