You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Solo a layer

Affinity Designer - Windows Beta 1.5.0.7

Feature: Solo a Layer

Generally, when working I have a ton of layers. It would be helpful to have a way too "solo" a single layer or folder. E.g. right clicking (or option clicking) on the visibility check box or something at the top of the layer panel. 

With this feature, I could quickly edit the points or elements on something without seeing all the other layers. A lot of times I'm just trying to find the layer that I need to edit. And right now, I go one by one turning on/off layers and searching the screen to see what changed.

Hey Travis,

If you Option Click on the thumbnail for the layer you want to work on in the layers panel it will solo the layer...

I'm on a Mac so I hope the option key is the same.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Travis,

If you Option Click on the thumbnail for the layer you want to work on in the layers panel it will solo the layer...

I'm on a Mac so I hope the option key is the same.

Allan

Yes you can solo object, but you can't alter it. Once you start to add objects to it, or change the nodes, all other objects will appear. You can change the color of the solo object, add gradient and transparent tool though.

So I guess you can't really call it a useful solo option.. At least not in my opinion.

• Staff

Hi Paekke,

You can already edit it (change its nodes). That was a bug that's already fixed. You should also be able to perform any other transforms (rotate, scale, skew, flip etc) as long as you don't deselect the object. As soon as you deselect it all the rest will become visible again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree that Soloing could be improved.

Alt clicking is somewhat obscure (no button, menu entry, tooltip, context menu) and it doesn't allow for soloing more than one object at a time (instead you'd have to group / add to a single layer the items you want to solo - which could destroy any organisation that you'd already implimented).

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro