You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I love that you can change the shortcuts! While most of the shortcuts are similar or the same as I'm used to, it's always nice to be able to customise things. However I don't seem to be able to use function keys. I can assign them OK, and there are no clashes with other keys, but if I then try to use the shortcut nothing happens except my Mac making a beep.

It works OK if I add a modifier e.g. cmd+f7 just not f7 on it's own.

It would also be really great if you could assign shortcuts to separate studio elements, so you could show and hide just layers or stroke. This is particularly handy when working on smaller laptop screens. I know I can select from the drop down menu, but shortcuts are SO much faster.

Many thanks!

I think you should be able to use function keys with no modifiers in Affinity only if you have the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys" item checked in System Preferences > Keyboards > Keyboard tab ... but even that doesn't seem to be working as it should on my Mac running El Capitan 10.11.6.

What happens for me is with that option checked I can add a function key with no modifier to the Affinity preference, but it just beeps like it does for you. Without the option checked, I can't even add a function key with no modifier to the Affinity preference, except for F5 & F6, which have no "special feature" associated with them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R,

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I have the "use all F1, F2 keys as standard function keys" and I have disabled most of the Apple shortcuts as the mess up other apps.

If there isn't a way round or fix, I'm sure that in time I will remember to use shift+F7 instead of just F7. However muscle memory is often faster than my grey cells! I still get frustrated when I hit cmd+H and it hides my app - thanks to Apple for the "feature" of not being able to turn that short cut off.

The F-keys are working perfectly for me with no modifiers.  I'm not sure what I might have done differently from you guys.  When assigning most of the Studio to F-keys, I did make sure that all conflicts in Affinity Photo Shortcuts Preferences were resolved.  I'm using a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard but in its control pane, all the F-keys are set to be controlled by Mac OS so that shouldn't make a difference.

I am using a full sized wired Apple Aluminum keyboard like this one sold in the U.S. Oddly, the only F keys with no modifiers that work for me are the F15 & F16 keys, which zoom in & out exactly like the default ⌘+ and ⌘- keyboard shortcuts (which also do this).

I did not set F15 or F16 to do this in AP preferences, nor from what I can tell do they appear anywhere in AP keyboard shortcut preferences as assigned to any function. This key mapping to the zoom function happens whether the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys" System Preferences is checked or not.

LillieG, which OS X version are you running?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...