You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good evening!

I try to get used to Affinity Designer and now have a problem to work with nodes from an SVG file.

I have a file that gets loaded asa single layer object.

I now want to select some nodes and group them as new object or to cut them with ctrl + x but it always cuts the whole big object, not only the selected nodes.

I can delete selected nodes.

There is the "Divide" tool, that does get most parts separated into own objects, but sometimes has problems with thin lines like with my shield, it makes big filled objects instead of thin lines.

Maybe someone can tell me how I can get own objects out of closed nodes?

post-33131-0-31064100-1469305581_thumb.png

Problem this shield:

post-33131-0-33780800-1469305666_thumb.png

gets divided to full black objects:

post-33131-0-19674200-1469305633_thumb.png

HTML5-SVG-SingleObject.svg

shild.svg

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Hmm, strange. I just tried it and am surprised that I can’t split the compound shape into its parts. I was under the impression that this used to be possible. Anyway, for the HTML 5 logo what you could do is duplicate the whole thing and then delete all the nodes that you don’t want (e. g. select all the nodes except the ones that make the “H” and delete them, leaving you with just the H then). And then repeat this for the other parts.

For the shield, the Divide is working properly. It breaks it into all four shapes that where used to make that shield. But they are not lines, they were/are filled shapes.

You just need to then select the bottom two objects in the Layers panel, then Subtract. Do the same with the remaining two (top two) objects.

It is this way in everything I use.

Edit to correct the first use of Subtract. Should have been Divide...

Edited by MikeW

Thanks for your answers!

@VIPStephan: Ok then I did not miss a nice tool to do it, might be something fora  feature request then, would speed up the workflow.

@MikeW: Your're totally right, it was already the source that had no lines and yes substraction is the way to go then, thanks!

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

MikeW is correct, Divide does work.  One other thing that I do is after I divide the object, I switch over to Outline view mode ⌘Y (It really helps to be able to see the edges of your objects).  I then select the outer most edge, press shift and select the next edge closest to the outer and hit the Subtract Operation as MikeW suggested.  You can then keep repeating this process for the next inner shape.  

Divide Objects.mov

Wow, thank you all for the detailed insturctions and help!

Really apreciate it, thanks so much!

Well here's something interesting.... seems we've lost some functionality.

I was going to post with "huh??????"

But I've answered my own question. Divide does indeed work (kinda)..... on the HTML svg too BTW. (you have to do one subtract after).

BUT only in the MAS version.... all Boolean options are grayed out in, at least, the last two "more stable" and "use these instead of MAS" Beta versions. Devs.... are you aware of this?

At the very least, it would imply that Divide is being tinkered with on the back end.... which is fantastic.

(in the Betas, I put a rectangle behind everything and did a divide to reconstitute the separate shapes)

BUT only in the MAS version.... all Boolean options are grayed out in, at least, the last two "more stable" and "use these instead of MAS" Beta versions. Devs.... are you aware of this?

I saw the same thing & reported it in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22762-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15-beta-6/?p=107330 (the Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 6) topic)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

VIPStephan & MkeW, what version of Affinity Designer are you using & for what platform (Mac or PC)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

MattP confirmed that this bug is making an 'encore appearance' in the Mac beta.  :o

Affinity Photo