You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preference for default zoom to not exceed 100% in Photo

Ideally, we should have 3 options:

1. Automatically "Shrink to fit screen" when the image is larger than your workspace/monitor size
2. Automatically "Display at 100% zoom level" when the image is smaller than your workspace/monitor size
3. Do nothing and open the image at its original size, regardless of your workspace/monitor size

A 300x300 pixel image should never be automatically zoomed to fit a 4K screen, it makes no sense whatsoever, it looks horrible and it forces the user to constantly adjust the zoom level. On the other side, a 9000x9000 pixel image could be automatically resized to fit the screen, with the option to open it at its 100% size if the user prefers to work with a 1:1 pixel ratio. The keyword here is "option".

I hope the developers will consider this thing, sooner or later 😐

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like they don't even consider it a "bug" but a real "feature".

This week I've been dealing with a LOT of low-res images for a legacy project. Something like 500+ product jpg images between 350 and 600 pixel (width). Working on a 32" 4K monitor makes it worse than ever. You just see a mass of HUGE pixels every time. It's a freaking hell.

• 1 month later...

This bug/feature was driving my nuts, so I'm back to using Photoshop at work. I'll keep Affinity Photo because of the fantastic integration with Designer and Affinity Publisher, but for web graphics I had to go back to Adobe Photoshop. Affinity team, if you read this, could you at least acknowledge the issue and explain the reasoning behind passing on what seems like an easy fix? 

7 hours ago, Bobanian said:

This bug/feature was driving my nuts, so I'm back to using Photoshop at work. I'll keep Affinity Photo because of the fantastic integration with Designer and Affinity Publisher, but for web graphics I had to go back to Adobe Photoshop. Affinity team, if you read this, could you at least acknowledge the issue and explain the reasoning behind passing on what seems like an easy fix? 

Yeah, it's quite the embarrassment how they treat their customers. I'm voting for a reduced salary for the PO until this is fixed.

I'm going to miss you guys, we have been through a lot together over the years, all the "GAHHHs" we had together opening files. I think of OGs like @Peter Werner the @Jowdays who just couldn't take it anymore. All of the humble braggers like @LuBre with more oversized monitors than nasa, and all the rest of us like @madmats who can't get our heads around the fact that people were ok with this for so long.  a lot has changed in the world since we all first got together, I'd just like to say it's been an honor.... neigh a privilege to get to know each and everyone of you!! may your pinky fingers all rest from the ctrl + 1 contortion and may the memory that this was ever a bug(ya I said BUG @MEB )fade over time.

2 hours ago, Nickfmc said:

I'm going to miss you guys, we have been through a lot together over the years, all the "GAHHHs" we had together opening files. I think of OGs like @Peter Werner the @Jowdays who just couldn't take it anymore. All of the humble braggers like @LuBre with more oversized monitors than nasa, and all the rest of us like @madmats who can't get our heads around the fact that people were ok with this for so long.  a lot has changed in the world since we all first got together, I'd just like to say it's been an honor.... neigh a privilege to get to know each and everyone of you!! may your pinky fingers all rest from the ctrl + 1 contortion and may the memory that this was ever a bug(ya I said BUG @MEB )fade over time.

It's been an honor serving with you! But, don't count your chickens just yet! 🤣

17 minutes ago, LuBre said:

I mean, I wouldn't consider "NASA" a 32" monitor.

Haha, maybe not today. But what about five years ago?!

8 minutes ago, madmats said:

Haha, maybe not today. But what about five years ago?!

Big/wide screens have been a reality for a long time, to be honest. If you work with graphics on a daily basis I think a big/wide screen is almost mandatory for your productivity (and sanity).