You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preference for default zoom to not exceed 100% in Photo

By default, all images are set to fit to the viewport when they are opened. For images that are smaller than the viewport, this leads to a zoom percentage greater than 100%.

Personally, I usually prefer images not to be enlarged as it gives a wrong impression about the pixel-level quality. It prevents checking if the file is sharp, while not giving any real benefit since enlarging them does not provide any additional information, unlike in the case of larger-than-screen images. So fitting larger files by default is fine, but I find myself routinely pressing Cmd+1 every time I open a low-res file in Photo.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Count me in on that! It would be best to open at 100% when they are smaller than the screen size.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Put me on the list of wanting this small but very frustrating thing, The worst is when you crop or open something that is very close to full screen and you just think you did something wrong for a second, then you realize ohh crap the zoom.

Licking the zoom to max 100% would be completely dump in AP

Many filters such as Denoise are applied to a downscaled bitmap for performance reasons at zoom < 100%

So it is advisable to zoom further than 100% to judge the outcome.

Cheers

We are referring to the auto zoom applied to images when they are opened/cropped/resized,  no saying you shouldnt be able to go above 100% if you want to.  if you have an image say 2000px wide and its zoomed to fit an you resize the document to say 600px wide you dont even see a size change on your screen you simply see the quality of the image become pixalated because you are now zoomed to 300ish percent, its just a visual que that could operate better no one is trying to stop you from "Licking your zoom" :P

I agree it should be an option to choose if you want it how it currently is or to prevent auto zoom past 100% I dont think its fair to take your workflow and apply that theory of thinking to others, what may not be cumbersome to you in YOUR workflow may very well be a huge inconvenience to someone else as you don't know what they are using the program for, someone processing images all day that has to zoom out 3 time per image yes it could become cumbersome for them to press a keyboard shortcut 1000 of times a day.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Peter for starting this topic. I'm glad I found it, as I'd come here to make the same suggestion myself. Thanks also Afff for quite rightly pointing out the similar situation (cropping) in which the zoom should not default to over 100%.

Another time it happens is after using the Resize Document or Resize Canvas commands. It's maddening!

I'd go as far as saying this doesn't even need to be a preference; it should just be the default. Too many preferences increases complexity. I can't imagine that wanting a raster graphics editor to default to over 100% zoom is a very common use case.

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

Hi davidww,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, currently we fit the document to screen after a crop operation. Press ⌘ (cmd) + 1 (or CTRL+1 if you are using Windows) or double-click the Zoom Tool to quickly switch to 100% zoom.

It's now up to the dev teams to decide/implement this thared's suggestion for a future version.

Hi! I'm aware of CTRL+1 in fact I'm writing a help page for our team - and just wrote this:

Affinity Photo has an annoying habit of zooming images to fill the screen after a crop or resize. Just do Ctrl-1 to return to normal zoom.

It is actually quite alarming behaviour ! We are dealing with small logos most of the time - 60x120px and so do a quick crop and whoa - it's zoomed to 2000% and takes up the whole of a 27" monitor!

• 6 months later...

Just found that thread when looking for an option to change that default behavior. It is not the end of the world, I am using Affinity for a quite long time now so I used to double click on zoom tool, but most definitely it would be better if I had not have to do it each time I am using something smaller. Minor annoyance.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another vote for max initial zoom to be fit to screen UP TO 100% zoom.  If it's larger than the screen allows, of course it makes sense to zoom down to fit.  But if you're working on small images (like a 300x250 banner ad), BLAM!!  It's all up in your face.  I appreciate having the Ctrl+1 shortcut a lot, but it would be great if there was at least an option to override this default behaviour.

It's not a big show stopping bug, but it would be a HUGE usability improvement for a whole lot of users.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

+1

image.png.447a3f0c50bba6f8f7f7f4c71e73e0a4.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.