Sign in to follow this  
Smolli

[Fixed] PDF Import Text on one Layer

Hi,

I already mentioned this bug in the beta-forum (same import-bug is in the newest beta, too) https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/2184-affinity-designer-customer-beta-1019863/?p=9510, but nobody wants to react on it. I kind of get completely ignore, don't know why...?

Now I read that there is a Preference and unticking "Favour editable text over fidelity" would help. It does help somewhat, that some text isn't misaligned anymore, but is not yet in one single layer.

In the mentioned thread above, I explained about the difference how e.g. iDraw imports the file (one text per layer) and here's another screenshot showing all three single texts in one layer.

post-1545-0-17243400-1414405957_thumb.jpeg

The other screenshots and the pdf files are in the beta-thread.

I sincerely hope that ANYBODY will have to say ANYTHING about this bug .. ;(

Hi Smolli,

Nobody is ignoring you. It's just there's many threads/posts going on, and sometimes it’s hard to not let escape one or two. 

Sorry about the delay. Regarding the text bug, we are aware of some of these problems/issues and are constantly improving our file import/export formats to correct them. Just give us some time and all those glitches will be solved.

Oh great, thanks, at least I don't feel so abandoned with my bug now :) Was starting to feel invisible...

You're still doing a great job. It's just that this bug is really annoying when dealing with text-heavy pdf's like I have to deal with. It's extremely  difficult to edit text properly without killing the alignment.

This happens because text in PDF gets broken into lots of little fragments. Our importer tries to combine them into bigger units; this is supposed to make it easier to edit, not harder. Unfortunately there just isn't enough information to do it precisely, so we have to use heuristics, and sometimes it guesses wrong and combines fragments that were not related. I've made it combine less aggressively. The next beta will do a better job on your tree chart.