Lau

TIFF files not displayed by OS X 10.11.6

After updated to OS X 10.11.6 today, my iMac can no longer displayed 16 bits TIFF files created by Affinity Photos. Those same files were properly displayed by either Preview or Photos just yesterday.  They now appear totally black or totally white in Finder,  Preview or Apple Photos App. But re-import those files into Affinity Photos, they are displayed correctly again. 

On the other hand, 16 bits TIFF images exported by Apple Photos app from RAW masters are displayed correctly.  Also, JPEG or 8 bits TIFF are okay. 

post-15125-0-91384600-1469289794_thumb.png

post-15125-0-44400500-1469289796_thumb.png

For whatever reason I do not have this problem. I am using AP version 1.4.2 & OS X 10.11.6. I have tried exporting some afphoto docs I created & some JPEGs from various sources. When I export any of them as 16 bit tiff files from AP, they open fine in Preview, display properly in Finder views & with QuickLook, & import into Apple Photos without any issues.

Are you using the 1.4.2 retail version or a beta test version of AP?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

MEB, what is the source of the files you cannot export as 16 bit tiffs from AP with OS X 10.11.6 & how large are they (file size)? So far, I have only tested with relatively small files, either JPEGs or a few I have created from scratch in AP. They do not seem to present any problems with 16 bit tiff exports.

Regarding betas, I wondered if the afphoto files might have been created originally using one of the earlier betas.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Hello,

I restored the OS back to El Capitan 10.11.5, and the problem goes away. 

Size of my TIFF images posted above are around 60MB. 

Chris, did you see my last comment in the Exported AP TIFFs corrupted (black-greyed in preview) topic about this? The issue seems to be dependent on the size of the 16 bit TIFF file as well as affecting only 10.11.6.

Hi R C-R

I have restored my OS to 10.11.5, and don't have access to a working 10.11.6 revision right now.

I do remember the problem only occurs with Affinity Photo exported TIFF.

When I was using 10.11.6, I had exported very large 16 bits TIFF from Apple Photos App, and they were displayed correctly on Finder and Preview.

I do remember the problem only occurs with Affinity Photo exported TIFF.

When I was using 10.11.6, I had exported very large 16 bits TIFF from Apple Photos App, and they were displayed correctly on Finder and Preview.

I am seeing the same thing with 10.11.6; however, I can still export 16 bit TIFFs from AP without any Finder or Preview display problems if they are small enough. This even works when I resample a TIFF that won't display correctly as an AP export to a smaller size in AP & export that, but I have not determined what the maximum size can be before the display problem occurs.

I'm having the same issue. Mac OS 10.11.6.  Affinity Photo 1.4.2. Exporting approx 5184x3888 photos as 16-bit TIFF creates files of about 110MB. These files open correctly in Affinity Photo, Lightroom 5.7.1, On1 Photo 10, and Topaz software (Impression, Remask, photoFXlab, etc). But, they appear as black in Finder, Preview and MacPhun Intensify CK. They appear as transparent in Pixelmator 3.5. They won't open in MacPhun Noiseless CK and Tonality CK.

If I use Lightroom 5.7.1 to export these exported files as 16-bit TIFF, the resulting files open correctly in all the software.

The issue doesn't arise if I export as 8-bit TIFF from Affinity Photo.

BradDE,

If you don't mind & have the time, please try opening a copy of one of your about 110 MB TIFF files in Affinity Photo, resampling it to about 3000 px on the longest side & reexporting that as a 16 bit TIFF, to see if that smaller version appears normal in Finder, Preview, etc. 

i am having the same issue with 8 bit Tiffs...flattened, export,....nothing works....not even affinity photo can open them?

i am also getting a lot of spinning beach balls now in 10.11.6....

For what it is worth, on this web page Apple lists the various security issues that were patched in the OS X 10.11.6 update. The third one for the ImageIO API just says this:

Impact: A remote attacker may be able to execute arbitrary code

Description: Multiple memory corruption issues were addressed through improved memory handling.

CVE-2016-4631 : Tyler Bohan of Cisco Talos (talosintel.com/vulnerability-reports)

It turns out that this is related to how OS X (& all of Apple's other OS's) processes tiled TIFF images, as explained in this Cisco Talos blog post. This is potentially a serious security issue (see for example this Sophos or this Slashdot article), so it is probably not a good idea to downgrade to OS X 10.11.5 just to avoid the TIFF display problem.

My guess is that Affinity can't do much to work around this, but if they can this Talos Vulnerability Report may contain some info that will help with that.

BradDE,

If you don't mind & have the time, please try opening a copy of one of your about 110 MB TIFF files in Affinity Photo, resampling it to about 3000 px on the longest side & reexporting that as a 16 bit TIFF, to see if that smaller version appears normal in Finder, Preview, etc. 

Resampling to max dimension of 3000px and reexporting created a 48MB file that had the same black issue. So did resampling to 2900px, 2800px, and 2600px. Resampling to max dimension of 2500px created a 33MB TIFF file that opens correctly in all my applications.

Resampling to max dimension of 3000px and reexporting created a 48MB file that had the same black issue. So did resampling to 2900px, 2800px, and 2600px. Resampling to max dimension of 2500px created a 33MB TIFF file that opens correctly in all my applications.

Thanks for the info! That is a lot like what I have seen, except for me some TIFFs that were resampled to 3000px opened correctly. Since TIFFs use lossless compression, I'm not sure if it is file size or pixel image size (or some combination of both) that determines if the file will open OK.

Maybe the Affinity staff can shed some light on this....

I may have discovered something that will help explain what is going on with this issue. According to http://www.fileformat.info/format/tiff/egff.htm bitmapped images in TIFF files can be organized in one of two ways, as 2D tiles or as 1D strips. From what I posted earlier about the security patches in OS X 10.11.6, that update apparently affects only TIFFs using the 2D tile method.

To test this, I used Graphics Converter 9 to open one of my old 8 bit TIFF files & used that app to convert it to 16 bit format. GC9 has lots of "Save as" options for exporting TIFFs, including one called "Stripe Stream." There is no GC9 documentation for that I can find but I think what it does is to change the method from the default (?) of using 2D tiles to 1D strips.

What I found was that saving the file converted to 16 bits without that option enabled resulted in the same display issue as with AP but with it enabled the files displayed fine in Finder, Preview, etc. (I also tried saving with different compression methods like PackBits instead of LZW, but that made no difference.)

So from this I am guessing that Affinity always uses the 2D Tiles method when exporting to TIFF, & and whatever Apple changed in OS X 10.11.6 to fix the tiled TIFF security vulnerability does not work as intended with sufficiently large ones. (My test file was about 40 MB with LZW compression, about 140 MB using PackBits.) The 2D tile format is part of the newer TIFF 6.0 specification, so apps using only the older 1D strip format won't display any problems, even if the TIFFs are quite large ... or so I surmise.

Can we conclude then that this is not a bug for us to fix?   ;)

Someone give Apple a prod.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Regarding prodding Apple about it, I sent an example file demonstrating the issue to an independent Apple developer, along with a link to this topic. I think he will be very willing to let Apple know about it, but shouldn't Affinity do the same?

EDIT: Also, it might be useful for us regular users to know if Affinity's TIFF export function always uses 2D tiles, or if there is an export option that uses 1D strips instead.

just to put things into perspective: i have absolutely no problems exporting TIFFs from C1....but i can't export any TIFFs from Affinity Photo....8bit or 16bit, flattened/unflattened, no matter which settings i choose....

and resizing is not an option, i don't shoot detailed files only to be forced to hand in smaller versions as the final product....