You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

rotate entire document 90 degrees right, portrait to landscape

Hi,

I'm contemplating moving from Photoshop CS6 to Designer and it looks great. A lot of things I use are easier to do which saves a lot of time.

Now there is a small usability issue which is that I start every design I make with a template.

When I design a landscape, in Photoshop, I rotate the template 90 degrees to the right and after finishing the design I rotate the entire design 90 degrees to the left and export it so I can drag it in to ImagePrint to be printer as a rasterized image.

If you're wondering what it is I do check https://godonwood.nl/en/content/6_how-we-do-it

Now how do I do the right and left rotating of the entire document in Designer?

When I do 'View' -> 'Rotate Right' the document rotates but when I add text, the text is entered as if the document wasn't rotated which makes an extra action, rotating the newly entered text, mandatory. This doesn't seem to fit the ease of use I find in other aspects of Designer.

Any ideas? Am I looking at the UI with my ass?;-)

Sincerely,

Patrick

View > Rotate Right (or Left) just rotates the canvas, not the document.

One way to rotate the document is to select its parent layer (or every layer in it) & use the Move tool's rotation handle or the Menu bar's Transform options. Unless the document is square, this will require the extra step of changing its size to prevent cropping part of it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So I can see this as a feature request? Rotating the canvas is a pretty normal feature I'd say;-)

I assume you mean rotating the document while preserving its dimensions, not rotating the canvas (which already is a feature of the app).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Great and this is why I wrote the 'am I looking at the UI with my ass' part;-)

Where do I find it?

When I right click on it I see 'rotate left' and 'rotate right' but when I do that, it's in small steps and when I after that add text to the design, that's still in the documents original direction so I have to manually rotate that, with every object I add.

• Staff

Hi PatrickBosKessen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Here's a tip to do this is Designer: go to the Artboard Tool and click Insert Artboard in the context toolbar to create an artboard from your existing document (if you have not checked that option when you created it in the New Document dialog). Then select the artboard layer in the Layers panel and go to menu Layer ▸ Transform ▸ Rotate Left and Right when you are done with the changes. If you want to remove the artboard in the end (there's no reason to do this but just in case), select it on the Layers panel and hit Delete on your Keyboard. Select Keep objects from the dialog that will appear and the Artboard is removed.

• 6 months later...

Which version are you using Designer for Windows or Mac?

I answered the version Q and by now it's 1.5.4 with the same issue. A full 90 degree rotation of a design in every aspect is too much to ask for I gather? The way Affinity Designer works now it seems using it is replacing non intuitive working software with other non intuitive working software;-)