You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 6)

• Staff

Just because...

Yep too much time on my hand. I blame Matt P.

attachicon.gifStars.mov

Hey, don't blame me - it's Alex's fault! His movie made me think about what would be possible... I reckon with enough time and inclination you could actually do something pretty insane! I was trying to figure out if I could detach syncing for symbols then alter the size of the gear symbol to be smaller and then reduce the number of teeth and change their parameters so I could get a smaller meshing gear? Lost patience trying last night... maybe one day when I'm not bug-hunting... (that may be a while away!)

I am seeing an odd problem with both of the two SVG file attachments in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22837-svg-how-to-separateextract-nodesfrom-singleobject/ posted by af-user.

Both files open OK in 1.5-Beta 6 (or Beta 5 before I replaced it yesterday) with a single "Curves" object in the Layers panel. The problem is selecting that in the Layers panel does not activate the "Divide" operation, so it can't be split into its individual curves.

However, if I open the files in the retail 1.4.2 version of Designer & select the layer, the Divide operation is active & splits the Curves object into its parts as expected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I am seeing an odd problem with both of the two SVG file attachments in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22837-svg-how-to-separateextract-nodesfrom-singleobject/ posted by af-user.

Both files open OK in 1.5-Beta 6 (or Beta 5 before I replaced it yesterday) with a single "Curves" object in the Layers panel. The problem is selecting that in the Layers panel does not activate the "Divide" operation, so it can't be split into its individual curves.

However, if I open the files in the retail 1.4.2 version of Designer & select the layer, the Divide operation is active & splits the Curves object into its parts as expected.

We've had this problem before - and fixed it - yet it has crept back in again! I'll have to sort it out again :)

• Staff

Improvements to Node tool will be done at some point.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi,

just a little observation on creating new documents in designer:

New document form is different from Document setup form, doesnt make to much sense to have two dialog forms for the same operation, does it?

To set up bleed You need to enter the settings two times (as bleeding is not included in New document setting

And new document created as an artboard ignores the margin settings from new document window, so You need to set up the document twice again. A bit annoying.

This should get some attention too, I guess.

Otherwise, new beta seems pretty stable to me. No crashes so far!

Hi Alex,

You got me thinking... I wonder what the most complicated misuse of Symbols could be?... (maybe that should be a challenge!)

attachicon.gifgears.mov

I'm sure someone must be able to think of something crazy!?!

Matt

If only AD would have a frame animation persona - maybe something like Hype 3 ;)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Hi team,

Still having an issue with the export persona, exportSelected button (exporting ticked slices) being greyed out when slices are selected. (See attachment below). Can't send a file because re-opening resolves the issue! 

Also having occasional issues with the app not releasing a file properly after being closed. If you try to open it again, it will offer to 'open a recovery' file - even though it was closed properly without a crash. If you say OK it says the 'recovery file can't be re-opened because it's in use'. 

Also had a crash after saving a file... crash log attached incase it's of use. 

Cheers.

post-6493-0-76395000-1469524701_thumb.png

beta6_crash.rtf

Hi Team,

I have a bit of a problem with PDF import;  I'll use https://archive.org/download/delineatorvol2424unse/delineatorvol2424unse.pdfas an example.

First, though, thank You for nicer import than Affinity Photo: artboards on multiple lines, this helps a lot.

Then the problems (also present in AP 1.4.2):

1) It takes >30s of beach ball of death to get the dialog. Nearly a second / page to count them? Maybe put the other processing to a background thread and show the dialog right away?

2) If I accept the default options (i.e. all pages) there is no indication of anything happnening until 50s later the artboards appear. After that the red thingys still blink for a few seconds so something at least was backgrounded. It would be nice if the artboards would appear right away, even when empty, You know how many at this point already. It would be even nicer to have a progress indicator, like 37 of 40 pages done. Still nicer if the artboard would render when about ready. I only have 12 cpu threads so the first one should be ready by c. 20s at the latest, right? (I'm running BOINC but that's supposedly not interfering with foreground jobs.)

3) If you look at pages 4 & 5 there is no way to get them to look as intended (c.f. Preview) and they seem to render wrong but differently.

That's all, folks!

Zaq

zaqzaq:

I think that Affinity Designer in not the best tool to create a multipage document with 40 pages and export the document as a PDF.

In Mac OS with Preview or Acrobat Pro and another apps in another OSs you can join images to create a multipage PDF.

Or wait to Affinity Publisher!!!

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

zaqzaq:

I think that Affinity Designer in not the best tool to create a multipage document with 40 pages and export the document as a PDF.

[...]

krollian:

Not create, there were the magic words import and image. Not the best way to get the images to AD or AP currently, especially as it doesn't work. If there is a product & design decision that it never will, I'll be ok with that, it's just not communicated to the user.

Incidentally, if I drag the two pages out of Preview so Preview creates a two page document (adding OCR text data and reorganizing stuff) AD imports it nicely and quickly enough that I'm not interested in timing it. AD even does spell checking for the OCR text.

cheers,

Zaq

1) It takes >30s of beach ball of death to get the dialog. Nearly a second / page to count them? Maybe put the other processing to a background thread and show the dialog right away?

Thanks. This will be fixed in next week's beta. It was loading all the bitmaps before it needed to.

2) If I accept the default options (i.e. all pages) there is no indication of anything happnening until 50s later the artboards appear. After that the red thingys still blink for a few seconds so something at least was backgrounded. It would be nice if the artboards would appear right away, even when empty, You know how many at this point already. It would be even nicer to have a progress indicator, like 37 of 40 pages done. Still nicer if the artboard would render when about ready. I only have 12 cpu threads so the first one should be ready by c. 20s at the latest, right? (I'm running BOINC but that's supposedly not interfering with foreground jobs.)

I think it's interpreting the PDF that is slow, not the rendering. More feedback while loading would be good. Our own documents tend to be fast enough not to need it, but it will matter more for multi-page Publisher documents.

3) If you look at pages 4 & 5 there is no way to get them to look as intended (c.f. Preview) and they seem to render wrong but differently.

Unfortunately these pages use JBig2 compression, which we don't currently support.

Hi Team,

Got a crash when I access the asserts panel and select my personal assets :(

Crashes even when there is no document open so I'm pretty sure it's my assets which have got screwed up somehow!

I have them saved out so I guess I could do a reset on start up and then load the saved assets back in. 

Here is the crash log incase it is of use. 

crashLog.rtf

• Staff

Hi Team,

Got a crash when I access the asserts panel and select my personal assets :(

Crashes even when there is no document open so I'm pretty sure it's my assets which have got screwed up somehow!

I have them saved out so I guess I could do a reset on start up and then load the saved assets back in. 

Here is the crash log incase it is of use. 

Hi Malcolm,

The problem is apparently down to an asset that contains a raster fill layer... I'll check that out here and see if there's something lurking - thanks! :)

Matt

Unfortunately these pages use JBig2 compression, which we don't currently support.

Is that likely to change in the foreseeable future, Dave? I recall JBig2 compression being mentioned a few times during the PagePlus years, but (as far as I'm aware) support for it was never actually added.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Meb, seems to me that it's doing a "marquee zoom" when you press Space + ⌥ (option/alt) from any tool and it's showing the magnifying glass icon with a minus sign in it, should be a plus sign, no?... at least that's what is happening in my version of beta 8.

...and the scrubby zoom doesn't seem like it's zooming from under my mouse. It's not quite "on" target...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.