You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 6)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This is an early beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Fix for certain fonts causing startup crashes (hopefully!)
  • Fix for Node and Pen Tools not working correctly at silly zooms.
  • Asset collections can now be embedded in documents. If the document is given to another user, they will be asked if they wish to install the assets if they haven't already installed them: This is the start of being able to distribute assets easily to users inside a demonstration file showing their usage.
  • Changed text alignment to use Command+Option+L and Command+Option+R to avoid the existing keyboard shortcut clash.
  • PDF import fix for password-protected PDFs.
  • Deleting nodes on stroke pressure profiles now works correctly with Delete key.
  • Minor bug fixes and stability issues.

Hey Matt,

Designer crashes when I try to drag an asset from the assets panel on to the canvas when there is no canvas or Artboard, so as soon as I open up the app and click close on the startup screen then drag an asset..

I know it doesn't have anywhere to drag to and hopefully no-one works like that...

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• Staff

Hey Matt,

Designer crashes when I try to drag an assist from the assets panel on to the canvas when there is no canvas or Artboard, so as soon as I open up the app and click close on the startup screen then drag an asset..

I know it doesn't have anywhere to drag to to and hopefully no-one works like that...

Allan

This is good to know! Will have to check this out. Thanks!

This is good to know! Will have to check this out. Thanks!

Thanks Andrew, I stumbled across it and I know it's not a way of working but i'm odd  :wacko:

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

• Staff

Gah! Sorry... it looks from the crash report like it might have moved past one failure and then hit the next problem... From what I can see here, it looks like one of the fonts you have is failing to return a family name at all... I'll ask around in the office tomorrow about it and hopefully we can get it sorted.

Thanks for your patience...

Matt

Matt,

Thank you for addressing my problem with silly zooms.  So far it's been working even in to 1.3 million %.  I haven't had a need to go further, so far :D .  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Interesting—I had just activated about 72 different fonts from the Tolyer family and instantly received a crash, but did this update and (fingers crossed) so far it's working!

Edit: cancel that. I quit, restarted, and now it's failing on each open again.  :blink: Then I deactivated the entire Tolyer family, and now it seems to work. Very strange.

• Staff

After all these crash reports, I thought you might need some cheering up … everything is running smoothly here, as you can see below …  :D

Hahaha! You're a star, Alex! That brightened my mood up a bit! ;) 

In other news... I'm doing another build of Beta 6 right now that (please, please, please) hopefully sorts out the font crashes! I'll be back in a bit with more news! :)

Thanks,

Matt

I've reported Crashes with this same font for the last several betas...

Interesting—I had just activated about 72 different fonts from the Tolyer family and instantly received a crash, but did this update and (fingers crossed) so far it's working!

Edit: cancel that. I quit, restarted, and now it's failing on each open again.  :blink: Then I deactivated the entire Tolyer family, and now it seems to work. Very strange.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

After all these crash reports, I thought you might need some cheering up … everything is running smoothly here, as you can see below …  :D

Hi Alex,

You got me thinking... I wonder what the most complicated misuse of Symbols could be?... (maybe that should be a challenge!)

gears.mov

I'm sure someone must be able to think of something crazy!?!

Matt

That would be a great mini tutorial!

Hi Alex,

You got me thinking... I wonder what the most complicated misuse of Symbols could be?... (maybe that should be a challenge!)

attachicon.gifgears.mov

I'm sure someone must be able to think of something crazy!?!

Matt

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Just because...

Yep too much time on my hand. I blame Matt P.

Stars.mov

... I wonder what the most complicated misuse of Symbols could be?

Build/Illustrate a human out of 1028 atoms, out of electrons, protons, … quarks, … we need more precision!

Will there be an Affinity Store for those assets soon?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.