You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing Color palette from ase file (illustrator)

Hi

I am trying to import the color palette into AD from ase file which isa standard for illustrator. 

Is there a way I can do this. Right now the AD doesn't recognize this file type.

Thanks

Pranav

Though you can not import this file format, there is a work around for getting your illustrator color pallet into your Affinity document.

1. Take a selective screenshot of just the color pallet in your illustrator document

2. Import the jpg of that color pallet into a new Affinity document.

3. open the affinity designer swatches panel.

4. click on the little option pull down in the upper right hand side of the swatches panel

5. Choose > the create palette from document

6. then after Affinity designer creates your pallet of colors  go back to options and give your palette a name.

All the colors you use will be available to you in your document. IT won't have all the actual names of the swatches but the colors will be at least available to you. This work around will only work for solid colors, unfortunately it won't work for gradients.

I hope that helps until that functionality gets implemented.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried the trick you suggested me. I imported the image containing the color palette. But AD recognized very few swatches.

I am trying to include the color swatches from google material design specification which was released just last week. Here is the link to it.

http://www.google.com/design/spec/style/color.html#color-ui-color-palette

Its an excellent collection of swatches. If someone can come up with a way to include all this color palette,  let me know.

Thanks 

Pranav

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried the trick you suggested me. I imported the image containing the color palette. But AD recognized very few swatches.

Thanks 

Pranav

I had the same results, and noticed that, at least for me, AD consistently only imports 68 swatches per palette using this method.  The workaround I used was to take multiple screenshots in Photoshop's swatches panel of the Google palettes you referenced, then named them sequentially, e.g., "Google Material Expanded Palette 1", "Google Material Expanded Palette 2", etc and imported them individually.  That seemed to allow me to capture more of the colors, but the downside is they are spread across multiple palettes in AD.

• 3 years later...
On 10/26/2014 at 11:46 AM, MEB said:

This will be improved later.

I wonder if there is any progress on this.

I have palette in easily readable text file that I can convert to anything: json, xml or whatever else, but AD palette format is not plain text. Can you add possibility to import/export palette in some easy to read/write format? It would be helpful for integrating AD into workflow that uses other tools.

Image import is not an option because it doesn't even keep colors in same order as on image (for some reason in my tests first 5 colors are always moved to end) and there is no way to assign names without editing each color manually.

• Staff

Hi CyberAlien,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity apps are now able to import .ase (Adobe Swatch Exchange) files besides our own format. Are you able to generate a palette in that format?

To import them go to the Swatches panel, click the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Palette..., then the type of palette you want (document/application or system palette) and finally select the .ase file from the dialog that will open.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2018 at 6:29 AM, MEB said:

Hi CyberAlien,

Affinity apps are now able to import .ase (Adobe Swatch Exchange) files besides our own format. Are you able to generate a palette in that format?

To import them go to the Swatches panel, click the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Palette..., then the type of palette you want (document/application or system palette) and finally select the .ase file from the dialog that will open.

Thanks - This works perfectly. I also like the options, e.g., adding it to the Apple (System) colour picker which makes it available to other apps.

You can:

• 5 months later...

Will the import of ase files be coming to the iPad versions of photo and Designer?

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

• 1 year later...

Hi! I tried importing an .ase  as programm or document color palette. It does create a palette in the list called "Navigator Exported Colours", but when i choose that palette only one color of it comes up.

image.png.62072e2ce748ec09c646bdfbefd8818c.png

Can somebody help me?

Edited by Ann Ika

• 5 months later...
On 2/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, MEB said:

Hi CyberAlien,

What about gradient in .ase file format? I couldn't get them to import.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @pokambrian,
Affinity apps only support ASE colour palettes.
Exporting patterns as AI files will also not work because the generated Ai files are not PDF compatible and thus we can't interpret them (contrary to regular AI files where you can enable the "Create PDF compatible file option" when saving them). 

So there's no way to import patterns as such directly from Illustrator generated files (ASE, AI). You can however import regular AI files as long as "Create PDF compatible file" option is ticked/on when saving.

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @pokambrian,
Affinity apps only support ASE colour palettes.
Exporting patterns as AI files will also not work because the generated Ai files are not PDF compatible and thus we can't interpret them (contrary to regular AI files where you can enable the "Create PDF compatible file option" when saving them). 

So there's no way to import patterns directly from Illustrator generated files (ASE, AI).

Is the situation similar for the CorelDraw pattern files as well? 

What I would like to do is use the standard cartographic and geologic patterns and symbols (https://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/2006/11A02/), but I would like to quit Adobe and use Affinity instead. 

Is there any pattern file that could work or the only way to use patterns in AD is to create them myself?