You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So,  my buddy who is a big time comic book geek was going off about how there is going  to be  a Superman Vs Batman Movie. Anyway, every time we chat about comics I always confuse which superheros is in Marvels universe and which superheroes are from the D.C. universe.  Anyway, Today was his Birthday so I decided to make him some original art. He is  a big Batman fan so I thought this would be fitting.

My process is still the same. sketch on paper. shoot it, import it, trace it, and color it.

I-am-vs-I-am-smile.jpg

I am groot*

(*via babel fish: I like this. A whole lot. good work)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Hi Ronnie - nice work :-) I like it.

My biggest problem is the sep between tracing and colouring. How do you do it in AD? Do you use shapes and fill them or do you take a bush in Pixel Persona?

Thanks Katrin! So, the answer to your question is both. Have a nice day. 

Just kidding that doesn't tell you much does it haha. Yah, I hate it when people don't give more explanation. We are here to help each other.

I guess it depends on the the look and style your going for. If you are going to embrace the whole this is digital art look then vector gradients is the way to go. if you are looking to have more organic control then like you would with a pencil then I suggest using the pixel persona brushes. 

For example I will refer to your dragon image which I like and I think you did a good job with. 

It looks like you drew your shapes and with a stroke and fill them next  you took a vector brush and painted the highlight in one color then you painted the shadow in another color. all done in one persona. which is fine nothing wrong with that. 

Another approach would be to do the same thing and use the brush in the pixel persona for your shadow and highlights to shape them.

Another technique would  be to draw your shadows in the same color as the base color of your drawing( same green as your dragon) on a separate layer group that is on top of the base layer and set that groups layer mode to multiply which will darken. Alternatively for the highlights you do the same thing but set the layer mode to screen this will lighten the base image in these areas.

Another method would be to place a layer below your drawing and paint the whole thing with the pixel base brushes like you do when you were a kid coloring in coloring books.

I could go on about techniques and styles

You see I battle with the same thing you do and I am still learning. There no right or wrong way to do it really a stylistic choice sometimes it just a form of self expression. Your creating art so do what best for you. But If you want something to look like a particular style like I have done here (comic book style) then you need to  research the techniques people use to " ink and color"  in this style.

Youtube is a best friend for research!

I hope that helped. 

-Ronnie

Nice work Ronnie.

Great font choice and background too. Simple with a cohesive color palette.

Interesting discussion going on here.

Thank You Meb! I appreciate your kind words. I like things to be clean and simple so thank you for acknowledging that in my work. :)

Update! So, I don't know how many of you actually have take your work to print but I can assure you the quality in the output is there that was of any question.  I have a large format printer and I did a A3 size print and I have to tell you it looks beautiful and is true to the colors from my screen to print which was RGB. I do have have my computer synced with my Canon 9000pro printer profile so take that with a grain of salt. You mileage may vary but if it does it will not because Affinity output was not up to par. Can't wait to give this to my buddy. 2014-10-26-14.48.471.jpg

Nice print out. Colors are very true to the digital posting of it.

I seem to recall (as I'm using epson printers, so ymmv) that inkjet printers do better when printing from RGB files rather than CYMK, as they automagically convert the input into their own CYMK space. The only time my CYMK files look good is when I send them to my local printer to be printed on a high-end printer or to an offset printer. 

In any case a wee bit of time invested on synching the color between screen and paper always pays back with results like yours!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?