You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

misguid3d

Hey Guys!!

Newbie here! I'm new to the design and editing world in general. I came across afPhoto as a means of editing some photography I do and man, was I Impressed!!! I recently tried out afDesign and am really digging it. I love both programs! Anyways, here are some various designs I've created using either afphoto, afdesign or a combination.

Thoughts, comments and constructive criticism are encouraged!

post-33998-0-61239500-1468944780_thumb.jpg

post-33998-0-04943200-1468944792_thumb.jpg

post-33998-0-08762600-1468944798_thumb.jpg

post-33998-0-14090600-1468944803_thumb.jpg

post-33998-0-78343200-1468944813_thumb.jpg

post-33998-0-57195200-1468944820_thumb.jpg

Why thank you! I really put some hard work into any of the ones to do with the band. The others were specifically asked for so I didn't have TOO much creative control. But I was very happy with the way the Blackwood Sinners stuff turned out! I appreciate the compliment!

They look good! As a word of caution though, be careful of the typefaces you choose. The use of Papyrus (on the Blackwood Sinners poster) is almost considered an unforgivable sin in the design world. :P

There are a few areas in the type that could use some touching up, but not bad for some of your first pieces. The kerning between the AVA in AVAILABLE NOW especially (notice how there is an unusual amount of space between each letter?). Keep in mind, I'm saying these things as someone that's been in the field of design for a decade or so now. It's nothing I'd expect you to know without any formal training or anything.

With a little poking around online, you can find a pretty good amount of information on typography and how to improve the small things. Here's a couple quick little introduction articles: http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/a-20-minute-intro-to-typography-basics--psd-3326 and https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/what-font-should-i-use-five-principles-for-choosing-and-using-typefaces/

And remember, don't be afraid to ask for help on here. Plenty of us are willing to help.

I didn't know it was forbidden! Haha! And thanks for the input and info! I always love learning and evolving. I'm sure there are MANY ways I can improve and will definitely be learning as I go. I will definitely read over those articles this weekend. I didn't put a ton of time into font choice admittedly and at the time, I didn't have many options. I definitely could have fixed the kerning and maybe that'll be the last time I use Papyrus! ;)

Awww, it's sad to see font-shaming close off creative avenues.  :(

(Not to wag my finger at pxls2prnt — I see it all the time, esp. for Comic Sans, of course — I still like that font for its intended purpose.)

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be a nuisance. :unsure: 

You bring up an interesting topic though...does "font-shaming" really close off creative avenues, or force open others? I mean, with the severe overuse of Papyrus and it being the standard "go-to" for so many without any real thought behind it, is it really killing creativity to not use it? One could argue that it opens up a world of creativity in the fact that it then causes someone to step outside the "default" box and make a creative decision about which typefaces to chose for a project.

I know both Comic Sans and Papyrus get a lot of hate, but they actually can be great typefaces to use, given the correct application. For example, using Comic Sans in the signature line of an email of an aerospace corporation is probably not the most appropriate use, yet I see it all the time (my coworkers).

Not trying to argue or justify my questionably ill-placed font-shaming, you just got me thinking. :o