You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some of my recent stock illustrations

TonyO

Hallo! How is it possible? I see, you use gradients in your illustrations, but stock agencies accept only Adobe Illustrator compartible eps format. AF can not export gradients in eps format that Illustrator can read, I tried it many times and failed. How did you do it? Did you export your eps's from AF or is there a trick I dont now? Thanks in advance for your answer.

You are correct, Affinity eps export does have a bit of an issue with gradients when exporting to illustrator compatible files. So far i have needed illustrator to "finalize" my files for microstock agencies, but the work i need to do within illustrator is minimal. I will explain my method below.

1. Design your entire file, gradients and all, in affinity (because its better)

2. Make sure your color mode is SRGB - its the most stable color conversion form AF to AI

3. Make sure all of your gradients are RADIAL or LINEAR (do not use other settings, affinity likes to use ELLIPTICAL by default)

4. Here is the trick - export to SVG (not eps) - this will maintain all gradients in their editable native format instead of EPS which likes to chop them into bands

5. Open the SVG in ai and view your file, you may need to fix some of the gradients...

6.  Now here is the weird part... when you open an SVG into illustrator, it sets each object into it's own group for some really odd reason, literally a group of one object for every single object in your whole file... When you try to edit a gradient on one of these single-grouped objects, it will always show as a solid color, its very frustrating.  So the first thing you need to do is SELECT ALL and use the UNGROUP option under the OBJECT dropdown menu. You may need to do this more than once. You will know when all groups are ungrouped when the dropdown option is grayed out. Once you do this, gradients will be properly editable in illustrator. Took me forever to figure this one out.

7. And finally, view your file in wireframe mode to make sure that none of the objects gradients show banding, if no banding then i finish up.

8. The only things i do in illustrator after i finish in affinity are:

a. Make sure the AI file is the correct color mode

b. Check for open objects and close any that i may have missed (illustrator is actually great for this)

c. Check all gradietns and fix the inevitable 1 or two that dont transfer over correctly

d. Reverse the curve of those pesky compound objects that sometimes show as solid when there is definitely a hole through it

e. lighten the whole drawing 3% because for some reason exported vectors always get 3% or so darker when opened in illustrator for the first time

9. Save as EPS from illustrator, select AI 8.0 compatibility and turn off all the check marks and you have a perfect file for microstock.

Was that complicated enought? Hahaha

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

So you need in any case Illustrator to produce files for stock agencies. It's realy a pity-you always need Illustrator, and not everyone can (and is willing) afford it. I would be happy to work with AF, but without to be able to  produce AI compartible eps files it is not realy an alternative for me. At the moment I have to work with Inkscape, using a script makes eps gradients readable for AI. Not a perfekt solution, but I did not found anything better... But thanks for quick  answer. 

Your illustrationns are realy cute. Hier are some of my vectors:

stock-vector-vector-illustration-heads-o

stock-vector-santa-claus-and-reindeer-ta

stock-vector-elephant-family-148915823.j

stock-vector-back-to-school-vector-set-1

Perhaps I will do, just because Affinity is really quick. But I am used to Inkscape, and as I draw quite a lot freehand, so a I need a good vectorizing tool. So I afraid,  AF without vectorizing function AND without eps export not exactly the best for me. Really a pity.

So you need in any case Illustrator to produce files for stock agencies. It's realy a pity-you always need Illustrator, and not everyone can (and is willing) afford it. I would be happy to work with AF, but without to be able to  produce AI compartible eps files it is not realy an alternative for me. 

Mazo77,

I too need to produce Illustrator files but I use Designer to do all the actual drawing and what not. I do keep an old version of Illustrator around for this. It is an old copy and it doesn't cost me a dime in subscription fees. You should be able to pick up an old copy of Illustrator and run it in a virtual space with ease. Just a thought. Nice drawings by the way.

Hokusai