You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.7 (Windows)

No troubles installing the new update.

It first installed the Net.Framework 4.6.2 required, asked to close some apps before installing, it took about 5 min and then asked for a pc restart.

After restarting Affinity Designer 1.5.0.7 is running smooth.

Thank you.

Testing Affinity Designer Beta 1.5.0.11

• Staff

I am new to Designer.

My machine is running on Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.

Two problems observed so far:

- Zoom out shortcut (Ctrl + -) not working

- In Pixel Persona mode, the following brushes although can be selected, cannot paint

Brushes --> Painting --> Paint 4, 5, 7, 14

Brushes --> Drawing --> Drawing 4, 5

Brushes --> Spray-paints --> Spray 3, 4

Brushes --> Texture --> Grunge 8

Brushes --> Effects --> Effect 1

Hi Lai,

The shortcuts failing to work is currently a known issue and should be fixed soon.

With regards to the brush issue I've just tried painting myself with the brushes (using both mouse and Wacom) and couldn't reproduce the issue. I then set the Opacity (using the Colour Panel not the context toolbar ) to around 30% and found that using those brushes I couldn't paint with the mouse - although the Wacom tablet was working as expected. Can you confirm for me if this is the same in your case?

EDIT: I don't think it's related to the opacity. Are you using a Wacom tablet at all? I found that painting with the mouse would work perfectly up until I selected a brush with the tablet - at that point it stopped working with certain brushes. I was using Win 8.1 and Wacom's 6.3.15 w3 drivers.

Purpose: Stability

Requirements: None

Download: Here

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4, which means files created with the Windows beta cannot be opened in the Mac AppStore version of Designer, instead you will need the latest Mac beta.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed crash when starting if there is a beta update / the beta has expired / a requirement isn't met
  • Fixed Grid and Snapping Axis Mode should be changed to Grid type
  • Fixed Ctrl+Shift+Tab to cycle backwards through documents
  • Fixed Ctrl+Numpad number
  • Fixed trying to add non-breaking space bringing up menu
  • Fixed pressing delete with a stop selected on the Gradient Flyout deleting the object
  • Fixed Brush Editor Brush Size not going past 1025px
  • Fixed translated strings with escape sequences
  • Fixed Channel Mixer using incorrect spelling of Grey
  • Fixed Export Persona missing view navigation shortcuts
  • Fixed studio crash when removing all pages
  • Fixed Export Persona not being clear where text can be entered for user variables
  • Fixed Export overwrite dialog having a low quality warning icon
  • Fixed Export conflict overwrite dialog result being ignored
  • Fixed Space Horizontally/Vertically distributing incorrectly
  • Fixed printing multiple copies printing too many copies
  • Fixed Export not reporting failure messages
  • Fixed certain font names not being reported properly
  • Fixed crash after attempting to save a modified sample
  • Fixed DNG files looking pixellated
  • Fixed constraining with snap to pixel
  • Fixed Duplicate being enabled / disabled incorrectly
  • Fixed crash when launching Designer a second time
  • Fixed creating a symbol from a symbol
  • Fixed being unable to click select with touch or pen

Known Issues
  • The .NET installer can fail during the installation, try rebooting your computer as Windows Updates are pending
  • On Windows 7, the view can flicker when resizing the window

This download stops after security verification and only fractionally moves along the bottom bar. 3rd attempt and rebooted laptop (W10)

The new download will not get past this point on my third attempt. I have rebooted my laptop (W10), also tried with Affinity closed and open. On this attempt the revolving circle is going round but as before the bottom green bar is flashing but not progressing.

Eric

post-32041-0-48303900-1469103442_thumb.jpg

The new download will not get past this point on my third attempt. I have rebooted my laptop (W10), also tried with Affinity closed and open. On this attempt the revolving circle is going round but as before the bottom green bar is flashing but not progressing.

Eric

Try downloading the .Net web stub first - available here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3120737 NB don't use the offline installer, it's the same one packaged with the AD installer. This is the English GB version, search Google if you need another language version. It does take about 20 minutes to install.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

Hi rushingabout. 

The .NET installer can take a while to install and it does stay in that state for a bit you just have to be patient with it I'm afraid. I would also close the app when trying to install, it should prompt you to close it anyway after the .net stage.

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Maybe it would be good for Affinity Designer to put up an error message if it tried to read an AI8 file, saying it’s an unsupported version and to use PDF instead.

Even better of course would be if it would support AI8 and so enable transfer of layers as well. ;)

Is beautiful that please without concept!

Speedy Gallery

keeps crashing everytime i try to edit text (scrolling font type try to change the font), just like the previous versions. an unhandled exception has occurred. code : 0xE0434352. Mine is windows 7 home premium sp1. Intel Core i3-2310M cpu 2.10Ghz, ram 4gb, 64bit os

keeps crashing everytime i try to edit text (scrolling font type try to change the font), just like the previous versions. an unhandled exception has occurred. code : 0xE0434352. Mine is windows 7 home premium sp1. Intel Core i3-2310M cpu 2.10Ghz, ram 4gb, 64bit os

Hi, it sounds like you might have a font installed which we aren't handling well. Does it crash at the same point each time? If you can identify the individual font that would be good, if not we could take a copy of your entire font directory (and delete the copy once we've fixed the bug). Can I just confirm you're on 1.5.0.7?

Hi Lai,

The shortcuts failing to work is currently a known issue and should be fixed soon.

With regards to the brush issue I've just tried painting myself with the brushes (using both mouse and Wacom) and couldn't reproduce the issue. I then set the Opacity (using the Colour Panel not the context toolbar ) to around 30% and found that using those brushes I couldn't paint with the mouse - although the Wacom tablet was working as expected. Can you confirm for me if this is the same in your case?

EDIT: I don't think it's related to the opacity. Are you using a Wacom tablet at all? I found that painting with the mouse would work perfectly up until I selected a brush with the tablet - at that point it stopped working with certain brushes. I was using Win 8.1 and Wacom's 6.3.15 w3 drivers.

I don't have Wacom, only able to try it with mouse. Other brush settings were left unchanged. So I too don't think it is related to opacity.

• Staff

I am not using Wacom, only able to try it with mouse. Other brush settings were left unchanged. So I too don't think it is related to opacity.

That's very strange - what other applications are running whilst you're using Affinity? Do you also use any applications that directly affect the mouse?

I'm very pleased to see you're porting Affinity Designer to Windows and the beta builds are looking very promising so far. Thank you!

I do have one small bit of feedback for the Windows version and I'm not sure whether it's considered a bug or a feature request. Historically (stretching back to the MS-DOS days), cut/copy/paste was performed with SHIFT+DEL, CTRL+INS, SHIFT+INS keyboard shortcuts respectively. I'm not sure what Microsoft's offical guidelines are regarding this but lots of applciations still honour those keyboard shortcuts, including Windows itself, MS Office etc (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg251608.aspx).

Is there any chance you can add support for them to Affinity Designer too? I'm still somewhat stuck in my ways and generally find them more convenient than the more well known CTRL+X / CTRL+C / CTRL+V combinations.

I don't have Wacom, only able to try it with mouse. Other brush settings were left unchanged. So I too don't think it is related to opacity.

That's very strange - what other applications are running whilst you're using Affinity? Do you also use any applications that directly affect the mouse?

I posted here yesterday afternoon, but my post has been deleted. At the time of posting, I had tried and failed to reproduce this issue using Grunge 8 brush strokes with a USB trackball and the built-in touchpad on this laptop. I didn't have my Wacom tablet attached at the time, but when I tried it later I was again able to use various opacity settings (on the Colour Panel, not the Context toolbar) without any problems.

While trying to track down a cached copy of my deleted post, I came across this post in an earlier thread which looks closely related to the issue currently under discussion.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm very pleased to see you're porting Affinity Designer to Windows and the beta builds are looking very promising so far. Thank you!

I do have one small bit of feedback for the Windows version and I'm not sure whether it's considered a bug or a feature request. Historically (stretching back to the MS-DOS days), cut/copy/paste was performed with SHIFT+DEL, CTRL+INS, SHIFT+INS keyboard shortcuts respectively. I'm not sure what Microsoft's offical guidelines are regarding this but lots of applciations still honour those keyboard shortcuts, including Windows itself, MS Office etc (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg251608.aspx).

Is there any chance you can add support for them to Affinity Designer too? I'm still somewhat stuck in my ways and generally find them more convenient than the more well known CTRL+X / CTRL+C / CTRL+V combinations.

Hi, this is more of a Feature Request, but you are able to customise your own keyboard shortcuts via the Preferences.

If I enter Ctrl+Ins and Shift+Ins for Copy and Paste respectively, the default shortcuts Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V no longer perform their original functions; i.e. the new shortcuts replace the old instead of being added as alternatives. If I try to enter Shift+Delete as a replacement for Ctrl+X, the Delete key is ignored and I just see 'Shift+' in the box.

Upon Alt-tabbing to revisit the Preferences dialog just now, I found 'Alt+' in the box that last had the focus, and pressing Ctrl+X put 'Ctrl+Alt+X' in that box.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Most of snapping stopped working for me on 1.5.0.7 out of the blue.
  • Ctrl+' shortcut also stopped working.

Edit: Snapping started working again, randomly. Ctrl+' is still dead.

Edit 02: When snapping goes dead, if I keep turning ''Snap to grid'' on and off, on and off, it seems to ''fix'' the issue for a while.

1.5.0.7 Windows 10.

Lover of minimalism, game dev. Working on a TBA tactical game. @cristvit

My Fill setting keep defaulting to NONE every time i start drawing with the pen tool for some reason.

Even if i change it to a color etc, and start drawing it goes back to NONE.

I've also tried presseing the "syncronize defaults to the current selection after selecting an object, and that doesnt keep it saved either

1.5.0.7 windows 10