You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Crop to selection option

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I ran into this within ten minutes of using AP. I guess it is great to rethink how the same tasks can be accomplished compared to Photoshop, but at the same time, a lot of people with PS will do as I did and search through the menus for a Crop action (Crop to Selection) and be confused when they are unable to find it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Please implement this soon. Your developers may think it's trivial because "we already have a crop tool," but the current crop tool's UI is terrible for precision.

It is currently too monumentally difficult to get a pixel-perfect crop in Affinity Photo. I find it way easier to save my picture and load it up in another program for cropping.

The outlines in the crop tool are too fuzzy, and it's a matter of trial and error and to see where they're going to crop. There is no option I can find to just trim based on transparent pixels, top-left pixel color, or anything else that would let me get perfect crops automatically. I do a lot of shots of Windows dialog boxes for user manuals. Windows 7's windows have a thin black line at the very bottom. So when I crop to that, how do I tell if I'm successful? Either there is a black line next to AP's black workspace :/ -- or there isn't. I'd have to export the photo and use something else to look at it in order to make sure I didn't trim off the last row of pixels.

I strongly prefer AP's UI and workspace with docked panels, and I don't like Pixelmator's floating windows that constantly get in the way. But I sure do envy the fact that getting a good crop in Pixelmator is just a couple of steps, rather than all the frustrating fooling around Affinity Photo requires.

Letting us crop to selection would be a huge, fantastic improvement.

6 hours ago, Charles Jenkins said:

I do a lot of shots of Windows dialog boxes for user manuals. Windows 7's windows have a thin black line at the very bottom. So when I crop to that, how do I tell if I'm successful?

Perfect tool for screens, dialogs and objects capture is FastStone Capture.
It cuts the dialog exactly - in one click, and can transfer to Affinity via New from Clipboard.

Or edit it directly in FastStone, because it has excellent drawing skills (text, frames, highlighting, arrows, ...)

2018-04-05_005713.png.d4df0927fa2453852bf2bae7d4e7dfd8.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Perfect tool for screens, dialogs and objects capture is FastStone Capture.

Seconded. It’s shareware, so you can “try before you buy”, but at US$19.95 for a lifetime licence it’s very inexpensive given all the features that have been packed into it. If you don’t want all the latest features, version 5.3 (the last freeware version) is still available: http://freeware app.com/faststone-capture_download/

Another free alternative is the Snipping Tool which is supplied with all recent versions of Windows.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Seconded. It’s shareware, so you can “try before you buy”, but at US$19.95 for a lifetime licence it’s very inexpensive given all the features that have been packed into it. If you don’t want all the latest features, version 5.3 (the last freeware version) is still available: http://freeware app.com/faststone-capture_download/

Another free alternative is the Snipping Tool which is supplied with all recent versions of Windows.

Serif should pull up an "Adobe move" and acquire them.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, shushustorm said:

Just trying to increase the chance of developers taking a look.

Developers always take a look on what is posted in this forum section. They just don't answer to every post.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil