You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD Textured brushes, Monet strokes

Craig Deeley

Attached are a set of AD Textured Intensity brushes made from actual brushstrokes from the famed painter.

Usually I would not try to make strokes so literal. Nor would I borrow from such a famed source.

In that sense these strokes are a bit of a digression for me.

These are examples of brushes that use real strokes almost exactly. They carry the texture and variety of their source. Thick, skittering oil paint, and swashes of thinner oil run over uneven surfaces. 

I have become more and more a digital painter... but I love the texture of natural media. I find myself drawn to digital emulation of natural media. Or emulation perhaps of the texture of natural media - with a digital twist.

I have never deliberately tried to make a textured brush for such applications as Photoshop, Expression3, Synthetik Studio Artist or Affinity Designer - that looked exactly like a natural media brush stroke. 

The idea seems a little too in conflict with what makes digital art potentially its own (great) thing.

However. These are very nice, heavily textured oil paint strokes. Great for bold paint looks.

Enjoy.

CD_Monet_oilstrokes.afbrushes.zip

post-20507-0-77314500-1468899175_thumb.jpg

My Portfolio site:

http://www.i-toons.com

My art related blog:

http://greenlightcd.blogspot.com

Thanks, Craig. Although you've copied from the original artist, you could probably quite reasonably charge some 'monet' for these! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
11 hours ago, JimY said:

Is this a vector brush or pixel brush?

From the first post they're Textured Intensity Brushes, which is one of the brush types that AD calls vector brushes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

From the first post they're Textured Intensity Brushes, which is one of the brush types that AD calls vector brushes.

I'm an Affinity newbie. I have no idea what Textured Intensity Brush even means. Thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome.

14 minutes ago, JimY said:

I'm an Affinity newbie. I have no idea what Textured Intensity Brush even means.

Help is your friend :)

The first hit when searching the Help for Textured Intensity Brush explains it: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Panels/brushesPanel.html

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 7/19/2016 at 2:20 PM, Craig Deeley said:

Attached are a set of AD Textured Intensity brushes made from actual brushstrokes from the famed painter.

Craig I tried painting with these but alas, I'm no Monet😩 Seriously though, great brushes, thanks.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, daveb2 said:

These are Vector brushes and do not work in affinity Photo. Correct me if am wrong.

Correct, as mentioned earlier.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...