You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What to do with such Designer import?

• Staff

And one more attachment. That's ai file, not eps. And look at the colors. I think all is clear here and nothing to add, so don't tell me about bad EPS.))

Incidentally, I just found that .ai file and opened it - we're importing it with the correct colours, but the problem is that gradient midpoints aren't being parsed correctly - so that's a bug for us to fix. It's important to note that there is no colour problem though - the problem is to do with midpoints of gradients.

I adjusted the midpoints in Designer (which took seconds) and here's the results (Illustrator on left, Designer on right)

post-5-0-43513300-1468837171_thumb.png

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi bodich,

Thanks for the file - I can see what you're referring to now :) It doesn't matter if you've overlapped the shape edges slightly if that difference is less than perhaps an eighth of a pixel at the current view zoom - basically they will start to display the rendering artefact I talked about previously whenever you get shared edges (or edges which are extremely close when rasterised at the current zoom). As I mentioned before, this is down to the method used to rasterise and is present in all rasterisers that use the same technique although some engines have tricks that hide this from users... In Illustrator's case, it appears to round out pixels to make things share edges exactly and then applies a more aggressive antialiasing ramp that minimises the artefact. You can adjust the antialiasing ramp within Designer to mask the artefact in the same way, should you require...

Here's a zoomed view of the same document in Illustrator showing the effects of the artefact down the centre-line to show that the same artefact exists in Illustrator (and all other rasterisers that I'm aware of - with the exception of Adobe Flash):

attachicon.gifillustrator.png

Now to reduce the artefact in Designer, you can open your document, hit Select All (Cmd+A) and then go to the Layers panel, click the cog icon at the top right to access the blend options panel. Now go to the 'Coverage Map' control (this is the antialiasing ramp) and drag the curve to look like this:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-18 at 10.19.50.png

You can even save this profile if you'll use it often...

Now when you look at your hairlines you should see that their effect has been reduced dramatically - and you can make it look just like Illustrator with a bit of trial and error. Here's a screenshot in Designer afterwards showing no hairline:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-18 at 10.19.39.png

I appreciate this is an extra step and that's not good. The honest reality is that the reason everyone else isn't always up in arms about this is because people generally approach their designs differently - creating solid shapes that overlap, rather than butt against each other. You've actually used that method in other parts of the same design (the yellow eye shapes have the detail overlaid on top of them, for example, so they will not show the same artefact). I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong with your designs at all - and we may need a way to allow users to specify their own default antialiasing ramps so that this can just be setup once and forgotten about forever, but I'm just trying to get you to see that Illustrator is not doing anything different - it's just that the default ramp it uses is masking the artefact more than our default ramp. We chose our default ramp because it made shapes (and text in particular) look nicer, so we don't really want to have to change it...

Thanks again for all the kind things you've said - and thanks for sharing the file so we can look at the issue (the file looks great, incidentally) :)

Matt

Thanks for this tip, would be great to have ability to save it by default. And it is absolutely not obvious and I think it is not only the problem.

Anyway it is something wrong with rendering or something else, watch the video please.

And on every problem you are just laughing and show how to solve it. Maybe it should just work? No? Ok, made huge manual "How to easily solve all the problems we added expressly".

Really, think about that! I spent 2 days to easily "solve" this funny problem. Colors are wrong — ha, eps is just bad. I saw preview and want to see the same when opening the vector file! Or maybe I should to contact all stocks like shutterstock, fotolia etc. and ask them "Give me contacts of all contributors, I will tell them about one app that only one in the world show me correct colors and geometry, all people must change all graphics in the internet"... Nothing to say more, do what you want... Great color management and rendering that not works. And you are telling me like it my fault and all users fault, we are making drawings INCORRECT.

Yes, maybe I am stupid because don't want to see the gap when objects are OVERLAPPED. I don't want to change the drawing or fix anything, I just bought it and want to use in my design, I don't care how the app works, I am not Affinity programmer. I bought 30 drawings in 5 minutes and don't want to spend 2 hours to fix them all in one possible way for Designer app, and finding solutions... :) Never mind, don't ever fix this super features, I am just stupid user haha...

Designer-rendering.mp4.zip

• Staff

Hi bodich,

I think you're misunderstanding me - I answered your reply not because I thought you were stupid, I actually answered because I was trying to help you and get you to see that there's a reason for what you're seeing - and the reason isn't as simple as 'it gets colours wrong' or 'there's a gap that isn't there in Illustrator'. If I thought you were stupid, I wouldn't have spent my time (and still wouldn't be) answering your query.

All I have tried to suggest to you is that your assertion that the colours are wrong was not completely correct (one time was a bad guess by us that the colour format of the EPS was CMYK when it was actually RGB, but Illustrator can always guess correctly because it just opens the embedded AI file that tells it exactly what the document is, the other time was because we're reading the gradient midpoints incorrectly and we'll fix this bug) Also, I have tried to show you that your assertion that Illustrator doesn't have these hairlines is actually incorrect - it's just that they use a different antialiasing ramp to hide the artefact, but it's still there. I was trying to actually answer your questions so you have the right information. If I thought you were stupid I would've kept quiet and not bothered to tell you what was actually happening and why, and left you to think that the software was half-baked and could not achieve what you wanted from it...

I have also written that I completely agree with you that these things are not obvious, are frustrating and shouldn't be this way, and also suggested that some of the issues you've come across deserve user options to help people resolve these in future. I've typed everything I've typed in my own free time to achieve nothing other than to try to make you happy - at least that was the aim! :S

I certainly don't understand how any of that equates to anyone suggesting the user is stupid and not worth listening to, or catering for? Quite the opposite.

Thanks again,

Matt

• Staff

I just looked at your video - two items snapped together is still drawing perfectly past 1 million percent, but by the time you get to the 167 million percent zoom that you stop at, yes it's not working completely correctly - I totally agree. We're running out of precision in this scenario - if you had overlapping objects everything would look fine still, but sadly they're butting up against each other and there's a limit to the accuracy and if you'd prefer we could've just limited the zoom to 64000% like Illustrator's latest improvement to zooming allows, or just allow you to keep zooming because in 99% of other cases (where items aren't butting up against each other) it's sometimes useful for selecting or manipulating objects. You don't have to zoom in so far - you can't do it anything else. If you could zoom in this far in other packages I think you'd be horrified by what you saw - and that's the reason they daren't even enable it for you...

Edited to say: Actually, I've just realised you're using Affinity 1.4 - if you wait for the 1.5 release (or try the beta release) you should find that the strange distorted shapes you see at high zoom actually look correct and don't move around strangely. There may or may not be a slight gap (I don't know if snapping has been improved in that respect - there has certainly been a huge effort to overhaul snapping for 1.5) but the shapes should be correct and stable and should move with the node tool as you would expect :)

I've just tried it in Affinity 1.5 - it seems to be much better now - here's two segments snapped and zoomed to 239,000,000% ;)

post-5-0-59797100-1468869552_thumb.png

I just looked at your video - two items snapped together is still drawing perfectly past 1 million percent, but by the time you get to the 167 million percent zoom that you stop at, yes it's not working completely correctly - I totally agree. We're running out of precision in this scenario - if you had overlapping objects everything would look fine still, but sadly they're butting up against each other and there's a limit to the accuracy and if you'd prefer we could've just limited the zoom to 64000% like Illustrator's latest improvement to zooming allows, or just allow you to keep zooming because in 99% of other cases (where items aren't butting up against each other) it's sometimes useful for selecting or manipulating objects. You don't have to zoom in so far - you can't do it anything else. If you could zoom in this far in other packages I think you'd be horrified by what you saw - and that's the reason they daren't even enable it for you...

Ok Matt, understood about zoom (only one problem is it's speed). And hope you will solve the gaps and color. It was just looking like "this was an idea and all works correct" from my side, but I am happy that I was wrong and you will solve it, thanks for that. I am writing all this text also in my time and you know why?) I really want your app to replace the Illustrator and maybe some day Photoshop with the Photo. Have a nice day Matt! ;)

Привет!

А какие настройки у Вас в Preferences - Colour Profiles?

Привет. sRGB, Euroscale Uncoated 2, приводить открытые файлы к рабочему профилю. Но любые настройки никак не влияют и не исправляют проблему с цветом. В иллюстраторе же любые настройки не портят открытый файл, т.к. главное правильно определить профиль исходного файла, тогда и конвертация будет правильной и в любом случае будет верно отображать цвета.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.