davidpwrmc

Print Dimensions not accurate Part 2...

@TonyB....

I just noticed that I had not tried doing a test print from the beta version 1.0.20213, so I decided to give it a try just for the sake of completeness in testing current versions of AD.  

As before, I made a 5" x 5" square in AD and printed out to the same HP printer that I have been using during all of these tests (model type for printer shown in earlier post...I think #3 or #4).  

Result:  as before, printing straight from AD to the HP printer yielded the same slightly smaller-than-required printout:  4 15/16" square

If you want, I can try printing out other file types again but I have no reason to believe those would yield any different results than before.  Let me know if you'd rather I go ahead and do the other formats too. 

FYI.  

- David  

@TonyB....

Well, this might just help you to close down this "bug" situation with regards to Affinity Designer not being able to print accurately to the HP LaserJet 400 color M451dn printer that I'm using here.  

First (before I go into details) let me report the following:  

1) using the newest beta of Affinity Designer, I was able to print out a perfect 5" x 5" square directly from AD to my HP printer.  NOTE: I did not see any notations, in your list of what was fixed in this beta, regarding the dimension printing bug being addressed, so I didn't think that it was the new beta that allowed the successful print to happen.  Therefore, I also tried......

2) .....printing with my old copy of Pages '09 ver. 4.0.   Printing straight from Pages '09 to the HP printer allowed a perfect 5" x 5" square to be produced.  

So, you ask, what changed?    

It turns out that, a few days ago, I had the need to address another problem that had cropped up with the HP.  I was having a color registration problem (in their parlance, they call it a "calibration" problem) so I went to the HP site to look for some answers.  I found the answer I was looking for and was able to fix the "calibration" problem, but while I was at that site I noticed that they were ALSO offering downloads for the most current firmware updater and the most current driver for that HP printer. 

So, I downloaded both of those, applied them, and today I decided to give the new AD beta the old '5" square' test.  Result:  as reported above, AD nows prints out a 5" square virtually on the nose.  Additionally, Pages '09 can also print out a perfect 5" square.  

It can reasonably be concluded, in my humble estimation, that either the firmware or the driver (most likely the driver, I would think) update allowed some sort of change to be made that ultimately gave this HP printer the ability to print out with accuracy straight from AD.  

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along so that this could perhaps remove one more item from your "bugs to be squashed" list!!     ;)

This is my Christmas present to you'all!!      :D

So, it looks like AD was "innocent" after all!!     

- David   

A "PS" to my earlier report:  

I checked that print output with 3 different rulers.... two of the rulers were metal-based....and the 3rd ruler was the plastic-based Schaedler Precision Rule.   All three rulers agreed with each other....5" square on the nose.  

So, I'm glad that's been addressed!!      

Now....how's about that "pasteboard access" ?          :D

I know...I know... we're never satisfied!      ;)

- David  

BTW....if you were wanting to see what I actually downloaded from the HP site, you should be able to get there from this link:  

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5076461&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4159

If that opens up as intended, you should see 3 possible downloads displayed there, and the upper two will be the printer driver and firmware updaters that I used to bring my HP printer up-to-date.  

You might be wanting to test these updaters out yourself so that's why I figured I'd pass this info along.  Now, there MIGHT be other versions of these files available via a UK-oriented site.  I would presume any such files would be the functional equivalent of those that I used.

FYI.  

- David   

Edit:  I just got through testing out the link, and it does seem to be working correctly.  

@TonyB.....

This will be my last follow-up on this topic unless some future circumstance warrants an additional comment.  I just got through doing the "5" square" test with the newest AD beta (1.0.21458) and all was well.  The output was as expected:  a 5" square object.   I expect that this will continue to be the case so I will continue doing the 5" square test on subsequent AD betas and I will only post again if something goes awry.   I do not know if anyone else is still having print dimension output problems, but it appears to be "yesterday's news" so far as I'm concerned.  

@ronniemcbride......

You're welcome!  I strive to be as complete as possible with my reports.  I hope that my small contribution will help move AD forward to maturity and speed the day when it will be a full-strength competitor to AI.  

- David   

Hi David,

Just wanted to say thanks again for your updates on this - it's obviously very reassuring to know things are working as expected now :) I know that we've specifically told the printer the sheet size and we pass it objects at the correct size, so I couldn't understand where this scale factor was from - and especially as everything was fine on all the printers I could get my hands on around the office and at home! I'm just glad it's all fine now, basically :)

Thanks again,

Matt

In an attempt to tidy up a loose end, I am posting this update. 

In reading some posts earlier in this thread, I noted that I had earlier reported exporting a 5" x 5" .eps file from an earlier version of Affinity Designer and, when that exported .eps file was opened in Illustrator CS6, it inexplicably opened up at a larger size of 6 11/16" square.  

I had then tried a subsequent test out of an AD version after that and the incorrect larger size was still in evidence.  

After those earlier tests, I had forgotten to try that .eps output again in the most recent versions of AD.  

So, here is my final report on that aspect of these tests:  

I just now created a 5" x 5" square in Affinity Designer Beta 1.0.21458, saved it as an AD file, and then exported it as an .eps file.  I then opened that .eps file in Illustrator CS6 and checked the size of the box in Illustrator.  The box opened up correctly at 5" x 5".  I then chose to print that file from Illustrator to the HP printer that I have been using here, and the result of that printing was:  it printed out correctly at 5" x 5".  

As pointed out in my last post here, it looks like this "print dimensions not accurate" issue has been put to rest....at least so far as my situation here is concerned.  

Thanks for looking into this issue on your end!  I am sorry I was not able to stumble across the "printer driver" fix earlier.  It just never occurred to me that the HP printer I was using was out of date like that.   Especially since all of the other applications I was using were all printing out correctly and accurately to that printer.  Ah well....that's the way it goes sometimes.  

@MattP.....You are welcome!   I, too, am glad this is all cleared up.  This was a vexing hassle and I'm glad it was able to be brought to a successful conclusion.  

- David