davidpwrmc

Print Dimensions not accurate Part 2...

There was an earlier topic of this same name (now locked) that had to do with problems getting an object of a certain size in a Designer file to print out to that same size onto a sheet of paper.

The object size that I used earlier was a 5"x 5" square and the printed size was printing out a lot smaller back then. 

I just now tried using the current beta (1.0.19863) to revisit this situation to see if the problem had indeed been resolved. I drew a 5" x 5" square onto a Designer page and then printed that directly from Designer to my HP color laser printer.  

The results:  that object printed out at a size of 4 15/16" x 4 15/16".  This is a lot better than what I was getting earlier with the 1.1.0 release, but it still isn't exactly correct.  

Can anyone else confirm these same results?  

- David  

Can you confirm that printing out a 5"x5" box in other software does print the correct size exactly? We have printed documents in the office on our laser printer they looked OK. If you can confirm the problem then we will have another look.

@TonyB....

I decided to try a number of tests in other software with various formats. 

The formats I exported from Designer were:  pdf, eps, psd

I used the original Designer Beta file with the graphic element being 5" x 5".

Here is how it went: 

-------------------------

Short version: the pdf and the psd printed out accurately at 5" x 5".....the eps file exported from Designer at the size of 6.6667" x 6.6667" (that's 6 11/16" square) and printed out at that size from the apps I tested.

-------------------------

Long version: 

Here are the apps I used and the results: 

FOR THE EPS FILE:

1. Adobe Illustrator CS6 16.0.5    opened eps file....printed out at 6 11/16" square

2. Adobe InDesign CS6 8.0.2  imported eps file...printed out at 6 11/16" square

3. QuarkXPress 10  10.2.1  imported eps file...printed out at 6 11/16" square

FOR THE PSD FILE: 

1. Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended  13.0.6 x64   opened the .psd file...printed out correctly at 5" square

2. Adobe InDesign CS6 8.0.2  imported .psd file.....printed out correctly at 5" square

3. QuarkXPress 10 10.2.1  imported .psd file....printed out correctly at 5" square 

FOR THE PDF FILE: 

1. Adobe Acrobat X 10.1.12  opened the pdf file....printed out correctly at 5" square  

2. Adobe InDesign CS6 8.0.2  imported pdf file....printed out correctly at 5" square

3. QuarkXPress 10 10.2.1  imported pdf file....printed out correctly at 5" square

4. Adobe Illustrator CS6 16.0.5   opened the pdf file....printed out correctly at 5" square  

All of the above tests were run using my 17" MacBook Pro (Late 2011) Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 with 16 GB of RAM...printed to an HP LaserJet 400 color M451dn.  

I hope this gives sufficient reference for whatever testing you need to do.  

As noted above, the psd and pdf exported files seem to work fine in other apps.  The eps file exports too large so it does not print at the correct size from other apps.  And the Affinity Designer file printed directly from AD prints out just a bit too small (i.e. 4 15/16" square instead of 5" square).

Thanks for looking into this!!   

- David   

Thanks or the information. We will have another look and get it right this time.

Thanks again for all your help with this issue.

TonyB.

I appear to be having the same issue. my project requires exact output scale and my 100mm x 225mm box prints at 96mm x 218mm. Is there a workaround available that maintains the best possible print quality?

AD 1.1

MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10

OKI Laser B411dn

As a newbie I didn't realize that beta versions were available. I little poking around in the blog and forums opened my eyes to a world of resources. An export to pdf solved my problem in the short term and it sounds like the latest beta release will help even more.

Thanks!

Randy

I just tested with the latest beta and confirm this is still an issue, but just barely.  A 7" square printed directly from AD is just over 6 15/16" on paper.  A 5" square is about 4 31/32" on paper.

So you're getting really close, but no cigar.  Yet.

I just downloaded and installed the new version of AD 1.1.2.  

I made a new document at US letter size (8.5" x 11") and then drew a 5" x 5" square object on the page.  I then printed it out to my HP printer (this unit is described in an earlier post in this thread).  Result:  same problem as before......I ended up with a printed square that was 4 15/16" all around.  To make sure that it wasn't my ruler that was off, I also tried measuring with another ruler (both rulers are made of metal and are from different manufacturers).  Same result:  4 15/16" square measurement. 

I also tried exporting that file out to .eps format.   Once the eps file was generated, I opened it up in Adobe Illustrator CS6 to see what size the square object would come in as.  Result:  Width was 6.6662"....Height was 6.6667".   As can be seen, the measurements are not equal in that the width has an ending figure of "2" while the height has an ending figure of "7".  The previous problem size was equal at 6.6667" square. 

I have not tried printing anything else from other apps, but given the previous results I would not expect anything different than before.  

I will nevertheless do a couple of outputs from other apps and see what happens.  I'll post here once I get that done. 

Sorry for the bad news.  

- David   

We will need more help with your printing issue. I have printed out 100mm and 200mm square boxes on both A4 and A3 paper on our laser printers here and they are exactly the right size. I also printed the same from Illustrator and compared the printouts and again they are the same.

So I'm stuck. Not sure what to try next but I will keep thinking.

We are working on EPS output now so should have more to share later. 

Many thanks,

TonyB.

@TonyB....

OK...thanks for your reply.  

I have gone ahead and done a couple of other printouts to see if anything changed from before.  Using the new AD 1.1.2 file with the 5" x 5" square object in it, I exported it as a pdf and as a psd.  

As with the previous test mentioned earlier in this thread, the pdf printed out a perfect 5" x 5" from Acrobat X Pro and the psd printed out a perfect 5" x 5" from Photoshop CS6.  

So, the problem remains twofold:  (a) printing correctly straight from AD to the printer.... and ( B) exporting an eps at the correct size so it can open in Illustrator as a 5" x 5" object. 

- David   

@TonyB....

One thing we can try just to make sure we're dealing with "apples to apples" (no pun intended!) :  you mentioned that you have been using a test file for objects 100mm square and 200mm square that have printed accurately on your laser printers....perhaps you could send that same file to me (just use my email address that should be in your account files) and I could open it up in my copy of AD 1.1.2.  I could print that file out to my HP and see if we get 100mm and 200mm here as well.  If such a test could be successful, then that would mean that my HP printer would not be part of the problem (so far as printing straight from AD is concerned). 

Let me know if you want to give that a try.  One of my metal rulers that i have for reference has a mm scale on it, so that should suffice. 

EDIT:  I looked around and found my cache of rulers so now I have a couple more metal rulers with mm scales on them...AND...I also came across my set of Schaedler Precision rules, one of which also has the mm scale on it.  So, I should be able to accurately measure anything coming out of my printer.  FYI.  

EDIT #2:  one thing that I would NOT be able to do would be to print to European A3 or A4 paper.  The HP unit I have can only handle US Letter and Legal, so that would be the only variation.  I should think, though, that paper size would not be the problem here.  100mm or 200mm should print out at those sizes no matter what size paper is being used.

- David  

@TonyB...

As noted in my "Edit #2" in my previous post, my printer handles only US Letter and US Legal....not A3 or A4 sizes.  

I would not think that size of paper would make a difference unless it is the case that the application print box is somehow set up to try to scale output to fit the page that it is being printed to.  

I did not see any scaling options in the print box while I was in AD. 

I did download that print test file that you provided in your last post.  I just got through printing it out to the HP printer here (straight from AD) and it is coming out at 98.5mm x 98.5mm.  So, it looks like the same "almost-but-not-quite" size shortfall is happening there too.  

I also did the pdf and psd test....in past efforts, my attempt to get my own 5" x 5" output was accurate using pdf and psd....it was right on the nose. With this 100mm square test using pdf and psd, I got a split-hair-short of 100mm on the width and 100mm right on the nose for the height. 

My understanding is that the HP I have here uses:

Print languages:  HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5c, HP postscript level 3 emulation

So, I don't know if that enters into the picture at all.  Maybe the PCL or PS Level 3 doesn't work and play well with AD?  Which would raise the question....why can I still get accurate output from pdf and psd....maybe those formats change something and thereby causes the file to be more compatible with the printer? 

- David  

One more item that I will add:  

In an effort to see if there is indeed an issue with the HP printer I am using here, I decided to try a test with Illustrator CS6 to see if I could get an accurate printout of a 5" x 5" square from that application. 

I just completed that test, and I can report that the printout was exactly 5" x 5" from straight out of Illustrator.  

With this, I am presuming that my HP printer is therefore working OK....and I am guessing that there is some sort of issue with AD.  Maybe the aforementioned HP language consideration?   

I hope you are able to find the answer to this mystery!    

- David  

The new update (1.1.2) available via the App Store today seems to fix the print problem for me.  A 3" square prints to 3" directly from AD, a 4.25" square prints to 4.25" and a 1" square prints to 1".  Success?

I'm using a Brother MFD color laser printer.

Earlier, I had done a single test of an alternate application (in that case, Illustrator CS6) to make sure that my printer was printing accurately the 5" square graphics.  I have since decided that it would be a good idea to also test a few more applications just to make certain that the HP printer I am using here is working correctly. 

So, I decided to also run additional test print files from other applications using 5" square objects drawn in each of those apps. 

The apps that were used: 

Adobe Illustrator CS 5 (ver. 15.0.2)

Adobe Illustrator CS 5.1 (ver. 15.1.0)

Sketch 3.1.1

Adobe InDesign CS6 (ver. 8.0.2)

QuarkXPress 10 (ver. 10.5)  

As mentioned above, I drew a 5" square in each application using a local tool and then printed that object to the HP printer. 

Result:  all objects printed from those apps came out 5" square. 

So, that leaves the situation where Affinity Designer is the only app that I can't directly print from accurately.  

Another user (RedHotFuzz) has indicated that he/she can print correctly to their Brother color laser printer from AD 1.1.2, so that would suggest some sort of problem between AD and either my specific HP printer model....or....perhaps the entire line of HP LaserJet 400 color models.  

I am hopeful that you will be able to get to the bottom of this problem so that it can be put behind us and you will then be able to move forward with adding new features and capabilities onto AD as opposed to being vexed by bugs like this one!     ;)

Good luck, and I hope this helps!   

- David    

Hi David,

Could you do one last test for me please, try printing out from Pages or Numbers. We use the same print path as these applications so is an apples to apples comparison. 

Thanks for all your help with this, I'm sure we can sort it out.

TonyB.

@TonyB...

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help with that test. I do not have Pages or Numbers. I never needed them in the past so I never downloaded them.

For the sake of your test request, I went looking for those apps on the App Store.  In the past I believe those apps were available for free from Apple, but now they show a price of $19.99 and, on top of that, the current versions available for download require Mac OS X 10.10.  I am using Mavericks, which is a little below that version requirement at 10.9.5.  Thus, the apps refuse to install on my MacBook Pro from the Apple App Store.

Unless I could find an installer from an old version of Pages or Numbers (I was aiming for Pages since I figured I would have more use for it than for Numbers) that would be compatible with my current setup, there is no way I can help with this test.  Sorry.  

- David  

@TonyB....

Here's a bit of news:  

For the sake of this test, I managed to get hold of temporary usage of an old version of Pages.....it is Pages '09 (version 4.0).   I drew the 5" x 5" square shape in it and printed that out to my HP printer.  The result:  

The printout exhibited the same problem as Affinity Designer....instead of printing out at full size, the shape printed out at 4 15/16" x 4 15/16" !   

So, there's another clue for you to take into consideration as you investigate this printing bug!   

Again, I hope that you are able to squash this bug very quickly so that it can then be full speed ahead in adding interesting and fun new stuff to Designer!!  

PS:  I hope that a printout from that old version of Pages '09 will suffice.  I am presuming that the newer versions of Pages uses the same print path as the older versions.  Here's hoping!   

- David