You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you use Flood Fill across multiple Layers?

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to Affinity Photo and I'm still getting to grips with how everything works.

I have drawn a banner across the top of an image using the Pen tool. 

How do I fill in the gap between the two lines?

I've tried this using the Flood Fill tool, however nothing seems to happen when I do so.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the forum ImageK :D

If you've used the Pen Tool to draw the banner you should be able to fill it by selecting the object and clicking Fill from the context toolbar. If you could attach a screenshot of your document or attach the document to this thread we can help you further :)

Hi Leigh

Like ImageK, this is new to me.

My problem is similar. Although I can get squares, traingles, etc drawn by the various tools to fill, if I draw a complex shape using the pen tool (in this case a Penrose triangle) I can't find a means of filling it properly.

I drew the triangle using polygon mode, tracing over a layer of 3 blocks drawn on an isometric grid (you can see the faded lines of the lower level if you look at the corners).

When I try to flood fill, on selection of the fill tool, parts of the tracing disappear, and the flood fill appears to be introducing closed shapes of its own and filling these.

It would seem that the only way I'd be able to draw and fill this shape would be if I drew discrete closed shapes myself, which does not seem a terribly good idea.

I enclose a copy of the result, both before and after flood filling - the numbers show the order in which the tracing points were made

The only thing I have done between the two screenshots is to select the fill tool, then select linear fill. As you can see from the shot of the layers below, Desiigner seems to be closing each set of Pen drawn shapes into a closed shape, then filling it, resulting in eacvh shape being layered one above the other.

If this is how Designer works, it makes drawing complex shape quite difficult. Am I missing something? Can you help?

PS. I have some screenshots as .png files, but have just discovered there seems to be no obvious way to include them. Help on that?

• Staff

Hi suetonius,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's how to attach files/images to the forum.

Since you are a new user, there may be some restrictions regarding uploads to avoid spam. Those limitations should be lifted after a few posts.

Meanwhile you may want to use a third-party share service to upload/host the images and link to them from the forums.

That's great, MEB - thanks for that.  It's so easy when it's pointed out to you !   :D

So, to add to my previous post:

My problem is similar.  Although I can get squares, traingles, etc drawn by the various tools to fill, if I draw a complex shape using the pen tool (in this case a Penrose triangle) I can't find a means of filling it properly.

I drew the triangle using polygon mode, tracing over a layer of 3 blocks drawn on an isometric grid (you can see the faded lines of the lower level if you look at the corners).

When I try to flood fill, on selection of the fill tool, parts of the tracing disappear, and the flood fill appears to be introducing closed shapes of its own and filling these.

It would seem that the only way I'd be able to draw and fill this shape would be if I drew discrete closed shapes myself, which does not seem a terribly good idea.

I enclose a copy of the result, both before and after flood filling - the numbers show the order in which the tracing points were made

The only thing I have done between the two screenshots is to select the fill tool, then select linear fill.  As you can see from the shot of the layers below, Desiigner seems to be closing each set of Pen drawn shapes into a closed shape, then filling it,  resulting in eacvh shape being layered one above the other.

If this is how Designer works, it makes drawing complex shape quite difficult.  Am I missing something?  Can you help?

Thanks

post-33078-0-96184200-1469641791_thumb.png

post-33078-0-52468600-1469641792_thumb.png

post-33078-0-89291200-1469641792_thumb.png

• Staff

To be able to fill this correctly (assuming you want to keep everything as vectors) you have to redraw everything with closed shapes as you already mentioned (see the edited screen below - each colour would be a single closed shape). It's a lot more easier than it looks since you already have all vector points marked in the drawing. You need to enable snapping, then just let the Pen Tool pick the points (the node should become yellow when you mouse over it with the Pen Tool) and just click until you complete each shape. Then change their Fill colour in the context toolbar.

post-59-0-08429100-1469656106_thumb.jpg

If you need to add shadows create new shapes for the shadows and use the Transparency Tool to fade them.

Make sure you have Snap to object key points and Snap to object geometry checked in the Snapping Manager (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...).

Let me know if you still have trouble.

For ImageK

Hi  - got wrapped up in my own prob and forgot to say (if you haven't already discovered):

When you select flood fill and click on the colour box a dialogue opens with the colour wheel on it.

Make sure the Opacity slider at the bottom is fully over to the right hand side, since the default seems to 0%

I fell over that one.