You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sure!

It's pretty easy:

1) Create a new Intensity brush form Brushes Studio palette

2) Use a PNG picture as starting nozzle (use this one for example)

pencil.png

3) Form Brush editing palette use these settings

step01.png

4) In Dynamics these...

step02.png

And you're done!

I do prefer Pixel Tool because turns anti-alias off and delivers gritty results, but it is pretty usable even with brush tool.

Flow variation helps to simulate pencil hardness.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 1 month later...

Sure!

It's pretty easy:

1) Create a new Intensity brush form Brushes Studio palette

2) Use a PNG picture as starting nozzle (use this one for example)

pencil.png

3) Form Brush editing palette use these settings

step01.png

4) In Dynamics these...

step02.png

And you're done!

I do prefer Pixel Tool because turns anti-alias off and delivers gritty results, but it is pretty usable even with brush tool.

Flow variation helps to simulate pencil hardness.

Something I'm not getting here...I can make the new brush using that png but I can't get palettes looking like yours to make the adjustments you make..if I go into pixel persona, my brush is nowhere to be found...

Is there another step in there?

Many thanks..the brush you made is the bee's knees and just what I'm needing!

Something I'm not getting here...I can make the new brush using that png but I can't get palettes looking like yours to make the adjustments you make..if I go into pixel persona, my brush is nowhere to be found...

Is there another step in there?

Many thanks..the brush you made is the bee's knees and just what I'm needing!

Correct me if I'm wrong..you have to BE in Pixel persona when doing this?

Correct me if I'm wrong..you have to BE in Pixel persona when doing this?

You are correct. for this type of effect you need to be in pencil mode. importing a ping in the draw mode will have a different effect.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

When creating your own brush nozzles, what's the optimal resolution to save them in?

I noticed that the nozzle in post No.2 is 256 X 256.  However, as document resolutions get larger and larger and therefore the size of brushes used get larger and larger, would making a nozzle 1000 X 1000 be more future proof?

• 1 month later...

When creating your own brush nozzles, what's the optimal resolution to save them in?

I noticed that the nozzle in post No.2 is 256 X 256.  However, as document resolutions get larger and larger and therefore the size of brushes used get larger and larger, would making a nozzle 1000 X 1000 be more future proof?

Sure... Even if I can say that bigger nozzle/tip is not always better.

Talking about pure painting or sketching tools (I mean tools that want to reproduce natural media experience) even working on large canvases you never reach those sizes.

A 1024x1024px nozzle for a pencil means that you can use a 1024px wide brush... But... Would you?

Consider that with such a tool you can literally fill a 4k file with three strokes.

And a 4k file (8Mpx of resolution more or less) is dense enough to produce a good quality A3 print.

Different approach if you want to create a Texture brush, in that case the larger the better since you want to block large areas quickly.

But also, in my opinion with massive large brushes the painterly effect "faints" somehow, so you have to tune up your upper limit.

Don't forget that sometimes low res nozzles are useful to reach some effects as a very soft pigment tool.

So a 128x128px tool upscaled to a 1200px width brush can deliver a really nice subtle texture.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Thank you for the reply.  When I posted that I had just installed Affinity Photo and was about to move my Photoshop brushes over.

In the end I decided to recreate all my brush nozzles from scratch and made them all 4096 x 4096.  Although I won't ever use a drawing brush that size, at least I'll never need to recreate then again, and I can always downsize them if required.  :)

• 5 months later...