You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to exit full screen view? (Yosemite)

It’s excruciating to ask this, but: how do I leave full screen mode in AD?

Yosemite changed the way the expand button works, so I find myself entering this blasted full screen mode several times a day. The only way to get out of it (that’s I’ve found) is to move the cursor all the way to the top of the screen until the “shrink” button appears (see attached). There’s also a keyboard shortcut that works with Apple apps: Control-Command-F.

The problem is that Affinity Designer offers me neither of these options. Having mistakenly entered full screen mode, when I move the mouse to the top of the screen, any window management buttons are hidden behind the AD toolbar (which doesn’t budge, and can’t be turned off, apparently -- “Show Toolbar” is locked on). Plus, AD doesn’t honor Control-Command-F at all.

As a result, I’m now stuck in full screen mode in AD, even between sessions. It’s locked into full screen!

So how do I exit this full screen nightmare? (I’ve been using Macs since the 80s, so I’ve possibly just gone senile.)

post-998-0-33383000-1414100520_thumb.png

I never tried and don't know how the previous version of Mac OS X worked with AD in full screen.

But, in Yosemite, when I go into full screen, I get a thin bar along the top. I move my mouse onto it, and I get the option to exit full screen, a little like what you've shown.

My image is a bit like yours, but, in colour!

I'm using a MacBook Pro.

post-809-0-32490500-1414102478_thumb.png

Here’s what I’m seeing (this is normal vs. hover). No option to shrink or close at all. I’m completely trapped in the UI!

I don’t think I have anything UI-altering on my machine. This is just the default behavior. What’s going on?

post-998-0-66443100-1414102962_thumb.png

As it happens, I just restarted because of an Adobe CC problem (one of the reasons I'm trying other software!), so I'm pretty sure it's not some passing system glitch. Some weird configuration problem, maybe (since you're not seeing it).

If you leave your mouse for a second at the furthermost point of the right hand corner of the screen the menu will drop down and you can push the the double arrows to exit fullscreen mode.

:)

@Andrew Tang: Command-Control-F doesn't work in AD, as I said earlier.

@Raskolnikov: The green button draws *behind* the Toolbar chrome if you have it docked to the top of your window.

@ronniemcbride: That trick works only in Mavericks. They changed it for Yosemite.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I explained in the OP that I've tried those things. The only thing I can't figure out is why my Toolbar is docked on my work computer. It's free-floating on my home computer, which means I can reach the "Shrink" button with ease.

(@ronniemcbride mentioned the right side of the screen, which was the Mavericks way.)

“Problem” solved. Turns out AD’s Toolbar wasn’t docked to the top of the screen, it was merely positioned there. I blame too many years of Photoshop, whose toolbar is docked to the top of the screen. I’m sure there’s a lesson in psychology there.

tl;dr: If the “shrink” button draws behind your Toolbar, move the Toolbar. (AD should do this automatically, IMO.)

Hahahahaha OMG, I am so not going to update to yo-suckerery any time soon. I don't want to introduce new headaches in my life. Leave it to apple to "think different". We never thought it meant everytime we have a OS update will zigg left when you got use to zagging right lol

@Raskolnikov thx for confirming my crazy is  to the left....to the left.. the exit screen button is in the box to the left.... ~ beyonce  ;)

Well, to be fair, most of the above epic was down to user error on my part. Yeah, it's always unsettling when a key piece of functionality changes in such a drastic way... but I hardly ever use the expand button in day to day life. (I was far more disturbed when they changed the shortcut for creating a new folder to Command-Shift-N from Command-N!)

Yosemite is 95% cool with me.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this exact problem - AD toolbar positioned at the top so the window options appeared behind them, kind of a 'Doh!' moment but at least it's sorted!

Was working in 'Separated Mode' btw - you can't turn this off/on whilst in full screen which would have solved the problem.