I want to change the colour of an object with a transparent background (.png).

it's easy to do in Photoshop - click the protect transparency icon on the layers panel. And it's easy to in DrawPlus X8 - select the object - the transparent areas are automatically protected.

I could make a selection of the object in AD however that imo is not a solution - an object like an intricate Celtic knot pattern on a transparent background for example.

Or, am I missing something here and there is a way to protect transparency in AD?

Edit - found it - the flood fill tool. I am a bit baffled though transparency is not protected with the brush tools (both personas).

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

Hi PedroOfOz

You didn't specify how you are colouring the object but in Affinity Designer (and Photo) you can protect transparency checking the Protect Alpha box in the context toolbar for the Paint Brush Tool. This however is not available as a "global" setting for other tools (yet).

The selection will also work if you ⌘ (cmd) + click the thumbnail of the layer you want to select. The transparent areas will be discarded (it creates a selection just from the content of the layer).