Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As far as I know, the app will be available directly from our website but we will have more information closer to the time of release as to other ways we will distribute it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2016 at 5:31 PM, Chris B said:

As far as I know, the app will be available directly from our website but we will have more information closer to the time of release as to other ways we will distribute it. 

any updates about the availability on steam?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 5:36 PM, Hirvijk said:

any updates about the availability on steam?

 

Unfortunately not. The only place we sell the apps is on the Microsoft Store, our own website for Windows, or in the Apple Store for Mac. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, i'm with @mission and @Hirvijk - would be nice to be able to get all the apps directly on steam ... i'm trying to consolidate my software library and having all of it in one place would definitely be a good thing

 

just thought i'd chip in :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lashman said:

i'm trying to consolidate my software library and having all of it in one place would definitely be a good thing

I'm not a Steam user - what advantage would it give you?


AP user, running Win10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No real advantage. Actually, a disadvantage, because you'll have to run Steam to open up Affinity products. The thing is, and that's probably why people propose it, it will open up a market, because there's people who buy a lot of stuff on Steam. I personally don't see the point though. The market of graphical artists which use Steam as a platform to get their software will be pretty small (it's almost entirely for games really). I think it makes much more sense to distribute via the OS's app stores, like the Windows Store, Apple's store, and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Affinity apps are not portable!

In my view the main advantage Steam brought into my life is that I can have it installed on a seperate drive with all games there that run out of the box even with a fresh installed Windows.

For the other apps I need I use Portable apps like Firefox portable.

So with a few exceptions I can run my apps and games everywhere without hassle of installing and entering key codes.

In the case of Steam I take all of the disavantages for this one big advantage.

Maybe someday there will be Affinity Portable. I hope for it.

But if it comes to Steam they will have to solve this.

 


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand that... Steam games are not necessarily portable. Many write into user folders, for configuration and savegame files. Also, some have additional copy protection, on top of the Steam DRM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chakko007 said:

I don't understand that... Steam games are not necessarily portable. 

I have Steam on it's own disk.

You can start Steam without any installation after a fresh Windows install. This is portable and self contained.

All games you have installed in your library can be started from Steam without a installation routine. They are portable.

The only thing some games need on a fresh Windows is that Steam installs Windows Features they may require like a missing .Net Runtime or a new DirectX.

So having Steam with it's library on it's own disk or partition makes is fully portable.

My Steam install survived many fresh Windows installations.

What do you think I miss here?


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steps said:

I have Steam on it's own disk.

You can start Steam without any installation after a fresh Windows install. This is portable and self contained.

All games you have installed in your library can be started from Steam without a installation routine. They are portable.

That's not the definition of "portable" at all... for a application to be portable, it has to contain everything that the application needs to run, and it also has to carry the configuration files with it, so that you can put it on a USB stick, and execute it on another computer. For STeam games, you have to have Steam installed, you need to start Steam to run the games, plus some of the games store configuration, or user files (like save games) on the computer you run them on. They're not portable at all. 

There are even games on Steam which run additional hardware related copy protection, so you can't even run them on other computer, when the developers disallow activation on more than one system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, by that definition it's not portable. But you got what I meant.

Affiity Portable would be great, but I can see how the Steam version solves somw problems too.


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, i like Steam, and, as you say, it makes downloading and installing your games/apps a breeze on different computers. If Serif decided to get Affinity products on Steam, great. I just don't quite see the benefit for them, in regards to the typical Steam audience. They're really just gamers for the most part, i think.

I also wonder how they would be able to enforce their install on a limited amount of computers policy that way. On the other hand, a Steam account is usually tied to one person, so, it might not be a big problem at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IanSG said:

I'm not a Steam user - what advantage would it give you?

 

the advantage of having everything in one place ... the advantage of automatic updates ... among other things

 

11 hours ago, chakko007 said:

No real advantage. Actually, a disadvantage, because you'll have to run Steam to open up Affinity products. The thing is, and that's probably why people propose it, it will open up a market, because there's people who buy a lot of stuff on Steam. I personally don't see the point though. The market of graphical artists which use Steam as a platform to get their software will be pretty small (it's almost entirely for games really). I think it makes much more sense to distribute via the OS's app stores, like the Windows Store, Apple's store, and others.

 

i already have Steam running at all times, and already have a good few pieces of software i bought there specifically for the convenience ... just for reference - there's already quite a lot of software on steam ... including stuff like Krita, openCanvas, blender, Substance Painter and others

and also - if the devs decide to not use Steam's DRM - you wouldn't even have to have Steam running to be able to use the Affinity apps

and as for the market of graphical artists - i'm 90% sure it's bigger on Steam than it is in the Windows Store ... Steam has over 125 million registered users, 90 million monthly active users (obviously not all of them are artists, but numbers are numbers)

and to give you a rough idea - here are the current activity numbers for blender (yes, i realize it's free, but it still counts):

ZLzybg3.png

 

8 hours ago, chakko007 said:

I don't understand that... Steam games are not necessarily portable. Many write into user folders, for configuration and savegame files. Also, some have additional copy protection, on top of the Steam DRM. 

 

this is not accurate ... Steam offers their DRM solution, yes ... but it's in no way mandatory

there are quite a few games and software that are 100% DRM-free (as in: you don't even have to have steam running to be able to use them)

 

5 hours ago, chakko007 said:

Don't get me wrong, i like Steam, and, as you say, it makes downloading and installing your games/apps a breeze on different computers. If Serif decided to get Affinity products on Steam, great. I just don't quite see the benefit for them, in regards to the typical Steam audience. They're really just gamers for the most part, i think.

I also wonder how they would be able to enforce their install on a limited amount of computers policy that way. On the other hand, a Steam account is usually tied to one person, so, it might not be a big problem at all.

 

you can't use the same Steam account in more than one place at a time ... so it's by default limited to the one place you're currently using the account at

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lashman said:

this is not accurate ... Steam offers their DRM solution, yes ... but it's in no way mandatory

 there are quite a few games and software that are 100% DRM-free (as in: you don't even have to have steam running to be able to use them)

Yes. Exclusively games more than 15 years old, where developers didn't fuss with modifying the code when bringing the games on Steam.

TBH, i still don't see the point of getting Affinity's products on Steam, but, hey, not my decision anyway.

760 Blender "players" aren't exactly much either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It`s probably hard to convince Serif to give up 30% of each sale especially when there are many distributors setting up similar stores with much lower distribution fees.
 


gumroad.com/myclay | timurariman.com
Windows 10 Pro - 1903 | Ryzen 2700 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB  | 64GB |
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX500 1TB | WD Black PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like who? Most distributors take about 30%. After all, they're providing a platform for a whole new market, and, obviously that's worth it for a lot of publishers. Noone has to offer on Steam, or similar platforms. I know for a fact that Apple takes about the same as well, And, Serif offers there.

See here: https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/software-engineer/app-store-fees-percentages-and-payouts-what-developers-need-to-know/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lashman said:

and as for the market of graphical artists - i'm 90% sure it's bigger on Steam than it is in the Windows Store ... Steam has over 125 million registered users, 90 million monthly active users (obviously not all of them are artists, but numbers are numbers)

By comparison, Microsoft claims there are about 700 million Windows 10 users, presumably all of them active at least monthly if not daily, so if "numbers are numbers" it does not seem likely that the market exposure on Steam is larger than on the Windows Store.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Yes. Exclusively games more than 15 years old, where developers didn't fuss with modifying the code when bringing the games on Steam.

 

you should at least try to check before making false statements:

just a (very) small sample out of literally hundreds of games ... none of those games use steam's DRM ... all of those games i listed were released last year ...

and again - it doesn't matter if the software is 2 months or 20 years old .... developers have the OPTION to use steamworks ... but it's not a requirement ... some do, some don't ... the age of the software is completely irrelevant

 

24 minutes ago, myclay said:

It`s probably hard to convince Serif to give up 30% of each sale especially when there are many distributors setting up similar stores with much lower distribution fees.
 

 

Windows Store also takes 30% afaik
 

also - on Steam developers have the ability to generate an unlimited amount of keys to sell outside of steam, and steam doesn't take any cut out of those keys - 100% of the money from those keys goes to the developer

 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

By comparison, Microsoft claims there are about 700 million Windows 10 users, presumably all of them active at least monthly if not daily, so if "numbers are numbers" it does not seem likely that the market exposure on Steam is larger than on the Windows Store.

 

yes ... but that's 700 million Windows 10 users ... not Windows Store users

yes, i know it comes pre-installed with windows, but hardly anyone uses it (especially for anything beyond simple mobile-like apps)

 

36 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

I agree. And, again, it's mainly a games platform. Other software is rather a footnote. 

 

again - Krita, openCanvas, Black Ink, Substance Painter, Mari, 3D Coat and a few others all are on Steam (not to mention other software like Blender, Houdini, Modo, Marvelous Designer) ... short of Corel and Adobe stuff, pretty much every other drawing/painting app is on Steam as well

also - i'm not asking for Serif to start selling Affinity apps EXCLUSIVELY on Steam from now on .... i'm just asking for them to consider ALSO putting it up on Steam for people who might prefer to buy it from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lashman said:

yes ... but that's 700 million Windows 10 users ... not Windows Store users

yes, i know it comes pre-installed with windows, but hardly anyone uses it (especially for anything beyond simple mobile-like apps)

Do you have anything other than guesswork to substantiate that?


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lashman said:

  

you should at least try to check before making false statements:

just a (very) small sample out of literally hundreds of games ... none of those games use steam's DRM ... all of those games i listed were released last year ...

Yeah... i maybe should have added "except some obscure games from largely unknown indie developers" to my statement. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you have anything other than guesswork to substantiate that?

 

not really, no ... only my observations on what is and isn't releasing on there ... and what used to be in there but isn't any more

 

3 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Yeah... i maybe should have added "except some obscure games from largely unknown indie developers" to my statement. ;)

 

tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. You're just longing for desperate arguments. No game developer who sells over 100.000 copies of his game won't use at least Steam DRM when he releases his game today.

Anyway, we're probably moving away from the topic. Which was whether or not it makes sense for Serif to release on Steam. IMO, it wouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.