You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layout Grid

• Staff

Besides the current grid system already in place i would like to see a quick way to set up a layout grid where we can define the width, the number or columns, the gutter etc to quickly setup the document structure for a web page design or for a print document. This could eventually be shared/based on Affinity Publisher since they share the same file format and could use the same parameters.

I think it's useful to have it here in Affinity Designer since it's where the design/mockups starts and the layout grid would provide the necessary structure to build upon, without having to setup a huge number of guides or use fixed and inflexible bitmaps as reference.

• 1 month later...

I agree, this would be a great feature! Like you said, options for number of columns and gutters are useful, and the same goes for rows. Also, whether or not to include gutters on the outside of the grid and the position of the grid in relation to the document would be nice.

Somehow the ability to adjust angles too would be welcomed.

or, the ultimate would be a "make grid" panel with a little preview window as you build your grid, horiz lines, vert lines, angled lines... then a create grid button maybe with the option to save grid to be accessed in a library. My grids... Iso, perspective etc...

or,  some options on creating a grid or guides from artwork...

I'm going to be working on an iso piece shortly and decided to bring in an iso grid and lock it on it's own layer.

Ideally though for iso work I'd like a way to draw in 30, 90 and 150 degree angles. Basically a panel that allows me to change the constrain angle on the fly as I create with user configurable inputs.

I am with all of you guys.

I spent ours on a logo tweaking stuff because there is no good support for Angles and layout grid.

I had to create line and then tweak them manually. So it's not very accurate without those functionalities right now :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

+1 for the grids.

I reckon the majority of people will end up with two apps.

I can recommend this site, you visit the site, choose your grid, edit it and download the PDF:

Just remember to select/group/lock the whole page, as the individual elements are not full length lines but individual units. They are still adjustable though...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

You're welcome Gear maker.

I've had a similar program like this before a freebie, from a cover disc. My kodak printer gives you the option to print out, pre formatted papers also, but nowhere near as adjustable!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi sleepycal,

I have no idea, sorry. There's still some important features missing, so talking about priorities here is almost irrelevant. Affinity Designer is only six months old... If a feature is not available, it's because it isn't ready yet. Rest assured we will get there, sooner, or later.