You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: Attach Text to Path (Freehand Style)

I'm currently using the Windows Beta and so far very impressed (definitely going to buy when it's released).

I like the fact that 'Paste Inside' is an option like in good old Macromedia Freehand.

I have another Freehand feature I'd love to see: Attach Text to Path

I know we have the text tool that you can use to click on a path edge and start typing/paste text, but it is so much more intuitive (and quicker) to select existing text and a shape, then just 'Attach Text to Path'.

Whilst we're at it, I think a tick box for 'show/hide path' would also be of massive benefit. It feels like unnecessary extra steps to have to clone a path, then flow text around it, then line it up with the original path.

This missing feature had always bugged me about Illustrator.

I know we have the text tool that you can use to click on a path edge and start typing/paste text, but it is so much more intuitive (and quicker) to select existing text and a shape, then just 'Attach Text to Path'.

Whilst we're at it, I think a tick box for 'show/hide path' would also be of massive benefit. It feels like unnecessary extra steps to have to clone a path, then flow text around it, then line it up with the original path.

DrawPlus has long had the ability to fit text to a curve. Having said that, it isn't difficult or time-consuming to copy a piece of text to the clipboard and then paste it at the text cursor on the path edge.

Pasting a copy of the curve is an extra step, but as it's pasted directly on top of the original there's no need to line anything up afterwards.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm surprised. Why is it easier to create a text object, type in the text, then create the shape, then select both, then Attach text to path? Why not just type the text onto the path in the first place?

I'm sure everyone designs in their own particular way, but I don't always know I want a block of text on a particular path from the outset.

Sometimes I already have some text as part of a layout and want to try it on different shapes, often I might just want to experiment.

In its current mode, the text-on-path tool assumes you already know exactly how your layout should look from the outset.

• 3 years later...