You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Technicolor procedure curiosity

My question is basically:

Why does the technocilor emulation shown in this video https://vimeo.com/155520871 work?

In the attached  picture I´ve outlined the color manipulations that are applied and as one can see, they come out just the same as they come in.

My guess it that it has to do with how the lighten blend mode operates but I´ve not cracked it yet because I think the lighten blend mode works the same for any color and the luminosity so the channels are just shifted + shifted backwards.

Write up on the actions:

Red + 180deg (recolor) >> at 180deg

Green +180deg (recolor) >> at 300

Blue +180deg (recolor) >> at 400%360 = 60deg

Then the lighten blend mode is used to mix them together 

R,G,B +180deg HSL

R >> at 180 + 180 >> 360

G 300 + 180 >> 120

B 60 + 180 >> 240

So that is just 360/3 = 120deg steps between the color channels as it was before 

By understanding this procedure you can even turn this into a flexible filter

R channel recolor to 0 + x deg

G channel recolor to 120 + x deg

B channel to 240 + x deg

HSL shift set to + x deg

Why is it working that way???

Here I´ve uploaded the non destructive version of the effect

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/16056-simple-letterhead-mockup/?p=103118

Any help/ ideas/ explanations greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is not a reversible process because of blending mode. You can also try screen blending in place of lighten.

In the tutorial we have Lighten blending mode applied first and then HSL Shift adjustment to blended channels. In this case, for example, you have two red channels - one from magenta layer and second from yellow and those channels are blended together. When pixels of the upper layer are lighter than the ones on the layers below, then pixels from upper layer are kept in the image. If the pixels in the layer are darker, they are replaced. This is NOT, even with HSL Shift, reverse operation for what recolor adjustment have done.

If you add Invert adjustment to each layer and use darken blending mode then an effect will be sometimes more interesting.

post-18190-0-60359800-1471563789_thumb.png

This is not a reversible process because of blending mode. You can also try screen blending in place of lighten.

In the tutorial we have Lighten blending mode applied first and then HSL Shift adjustment to blended channels. In this case, for example, you have two red channels - one from magenta layer and second from yellow and those channels are blended together. When pixels of the upper layer are lighter than the ones on the layers below, then pixels from upper layer are kept in the image. If the pixels in the layer are darker, they are replaced. This is NOT, even with HSL Shift, reverse operation for what recolor adjustment have done.

If you add Invert adjustment to each layer and use darken blending mode then an effect will be sometimes more interesting.

YEAH

thanks man, cracked it!  :D

@MSJfoto actually no, not that interested but thanks anyway  :P