You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Standard proxy icon

(I'm not sure if this is a Bug or a Feature Request, so please feel free to re-file it as appropriate.)

Affinity Designer (as of 1.4.2) uses special black document windows that don't have a standard Mac proxy icon in them.  I can't, for example, open the containing folder of a document (a really common task!), without a lot of extra work.  Another common task I have is just figuring out where something lives: a file might be called "Logo", and I want to make sure it's in the right folder.

The quickest workaround I found to open the containing folder is: focus the AD document window, Save As, see where it's saved, cancel, switch to the Finder, Go to Folder, and type in the path.  Clearly, that's a pain.

In every other Mac application I have, it's simply: command-click the name in the titlebar (don't even need to focus the window), and select the first item there.

It would be great if Affinity Designer supported the standard/quick/easy Mac way!

In fact, that sentence pretty much describes all of my gripes with AD.  :-)

cheers!

Wow.  OK, that's strange.  I never would have guessed that.

It's also not as useful as the normal way.  I can't see at a glance if my file is saved yet.  I can't see the whole path unless I Reveal In Finder and then command-click the proxy icon there.  I can't drag the file directly from the app, instead having to view it in the Finder first.

Thanks for the workaround, but it's still a pain, and I wish AD just used the normal way.

• 1 year later...

I use Apple's standard Proxy icons every day. They have multiple uses, one of those being to quickly identify a files path. Most users will have files saved in any number of locations, so access to the files proxy icon is a real time saver. Please consider adding Apple's Proxy icons to Affinity documents. Examples attached.

59de3d81b10a1_AffinityPhotoPath.png.577b4f6cf53aacc6e9f62cc4d3b32b22.png59de3d7dec642_KeynotePath.png.6797d07dbf001a2cf2b80bf6cf645ba1.png

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 0:54 PM, rusty5 said:

I use Apple's standard Proxy icons every day. They have multiple uses, one of those being to quickly identify a files path. Most users will have files saved in any number of locations, so access to the files proxy icon is a real time saver. Please consider adding Apple's Proxy icons to Affinity documents. Examples attached.

59de3d81b10a1_AffinityPhotoPath.png.577b4f6cf53aacc6e9f62cc4d3b32b22.png59de3d7dec642_KeynotePath.png.6797d07dbf001a2cf2b80bf6cf645ba1.png

Hear, hear.

I use that proxy icon and its folder shortcuts everyday. To not have them is, at best, annoying.

My favorite use for them is to navigate directly to a subjacent folder in its hierarchy. It's awesome.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...