You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello and good evening,

where can I find in Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo the Color Picker?

Best wishes

Marc

---

Hallo und guten Abend,

wo finde ich in Affinity Designer oder Affinity Photo den Farbwähler?

Viele Grüße

Marc

• Staff

Hi Marc,

You should find it towards the top left corner of the colour tab in both apps :) (See attached)

Hope this helps!

C

post-12469-0-73017600-1468329990_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

many have pleaded for a change in behavior of this color picker to be more like Apple's color picker, Illustrator's, Photoshop's etc. Seems Affinity doesn't want to implement what has been a common UI tool and 'knows better'.  Not a day goes by when I use this software and I am bothered by this implementation.  Is there any hope at all Affinity?

The 1.5 Designer beta has a more conventional color picker tool. You can also use Apple's color picker in Designer or Photo -- it has been a choice on the View menu since the earliest versions of those apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's not the Color Picker that bothers me; it's the click-happy color picker Tool that bothers me.  You have to go grab it and drag on the color you want which inserts that color into the eyedropper, where you can look at it but not use it.  To use that color you have to go click on the eyedropper to insert the color in a color dot so that you can actually use it.  I do not understand why that extra step is necessary or why it is still there after all the complaints about it.  It's great to do things differently from other apps when you do them better but not when they're worse.  Or am I, as is often the case, missing something here?  

• Staff

I do not understand why that extra step is necessary or why it is still there after all the complaints about it.

This is to stop you accidentally changing your selection's fill without realising it since the Colour well reflects your selection's fill state. Hence why you need to specifically say you want it to change by choosing the colour picker well. Admittedly, this is a vector issue rather than a raster issue since there is no reason when there are no selection (or capable of making a selection) not to change the default fill which would be reflected by the colour well when there are no selection.

It's not the Color Picker that bothers me; it's the click-happy color picker Tool that bothers me.

Assuming you are talking about the eyedropper & color well that has been an Affinity feature from the beginning & not the new Color Picker tool in the Designer beta, I sometimes use the color picker well as sort of a placeholder for a color I will be applying to the fill or stroke of some objects later on, particularly for a color of an object that I plan on deleting after I pick up its color with the eyedropper & there is no other instance of that color in the document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I was referring to the eyedropper tool.  I don't miss Photoshop often but I would dearly love to have a Photoshop-like eyedropper tool that could be activated with a shortcut and would automatically be reflected in the color well.  I appreciate the fact that Affinity wants to protect me from a mistake that I might at some point someday make in Designer but when it doesn't even apply to Photo it's just a needless nuisance.  I don't have many complaints about either Designer or Photo but this is one of the constant irritations.

• Staff

I was referring to the eyedropper tool.  I don't miss Photoshop often but I would dearly love to have a Photoshop-like eyedropper tool that could be activated with a shortcut and would automatically be reflected in the color well.  I appreciate the fact that Affinity wants to protect me from a mistake that I might at some point someday make in Designer but when it doesn't even apply to Photo it's just a needless nuisance.  I don't have many complaints about either Designer or Photo but this is one of the constant irritations.

Well, the new Colour Picker Tool in the current beta, and in the future 1.5 release will have exactly that activated with the shortcut 'I'.

Have you tried using the Apple Color Picker with the Mac Affinity apps? (If you need a refresher on its capabilities, or to learn about its more obscure ones, this web page may help.)

Affinity Photo 

Thanks for the reminder, even though it will make the wait even harder. :)

Why wait? You can experiment with the new tool right now by downloading the Designer 1.5 beta. Just keep in mind that the file format has changed in v1.5.x to support a bunch of other new features & once you save a file in the 1.5.x format you will not be able to open it with older versions of the app. (In the Mac beta, when you open an existing file in the old format, you get a warning about this & an option to open a copy instead of working on the original.)

Affinity Photo 

I have Designer but the program I use the most is Photo.  That is the beta that I am waiting for.  As for using Apple's Color picker, I've never liked it in any app.  All that pale gray is too jarring to leave out all the time and if I have to open it each time then that's as many steps as just using Affinity's picker.  In the meantime, I'll quit complaining while I wait for Photo Beta 1.5.

All that pale gray is too jarring to leave out all the time and if I have to open it each time then that's as many steps as just using Affinity's picker.

You could assign a shortcut to the Apple picker (in preferences > keyboard shortcuts > Photo > View) to toggle it on & off toggle it on but unfortunately not off if you do not want to see it when it isn't needed.

It may not be the prettiest Color picker in the Mac universe, but it does have the advantage of system wide integration. For example, you can create a system palette in AP's swatches panel & it will appear as a choice in the color palette section of the Apple picker in every app that supports the Apple picker (even Photoshop if you opt to use the Apple picker in that app). You can also manage system palettes from within the Apple picker or in the Affinity Swatches panel, for instance to add, remove, or rename colors in the palette.

Even if you only occasionally use it, it can be a real time saver when you want consistent colors across several different apps.

(Edited to correct the keyboard toggle behavior ... maybe that is a bug?)

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo