You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would be great to have a color wheel similar to this:

bAREHLoQG7.png

I'd even be happy if we could have TWO color pallets viewable in the workspace, One being sliders and the other being a wheel.

I would LOVE an option similar to something like this:

NIkpV7MiGi.png

These would give a great amount of control with color that would make color selection with painting a lot smoother.

Changes:

1. Red being at the top (0 degrees) 

2. Color schemes: Complimentary, Triadic, split complimentary, etc.

3. Tint - 100% tint is always represented as the color, where in painting if you've tinted your colors you're ADDING white, so the slider is reversed from the default.

4. Blending - foreground and background colors go on either end of the slider.

5. Color temperature (lock) & Tone (lock)- these are lifted from Anastasy's Magic Picker, they're really powerful features

I hope this was somewhat intelligible and that others might find these requests useful for their process.

Thank you very much for taking our requests seriously and listening to the community, you guys and gals rock!

You forgot opacity.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

May I ask what the gamut setting in your example does apart from limiting the colours one can select? How is that helping with choosing colours?

If your output intent is CMYK, it makes sense to be prevented from choosing an RGB or HSL bright green that you won't be able to reproduce with process colours. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You forgot opacity.

I intentionally left it off.

I felt that if one wanted variable opacity in paint that blend modes would suffice or they could just use the layer opacity setting. I think that would be more useful than setting it per color (for painting explicitly).

I intentionally left it off.

I felt that if one wanted variable opacity in paint that blend modes would suffice or they could just use the layer opacity setting. I think that would be more useful than setting it per color (for painting explicitly).

If I am painting in Photo, sometimes I adjust Opacity for one stroke, or vary it for several.  If we're advocating for more options, let's not start by reducing those we already have.

If I am painting in Photo, sometimes I adjust Opacity for one stroke, or vary it for several.  If we're advocating for more options, let's not start by reducing those we already have.

My mockup was mainly used as a way of quickly illustrating an idea that would take paragraphs to explain- any of my choices shouldn't be taken as gospel and need refinement. (for instance: the "blend" idea can't work the way I described it with the foreground and background color).

I completely agree, I don't want functionality to be removed where it has value. I have complete faith in the design team behind Affinity to make refinements that maintain the integrity of their app as well as build a great user experience.

My suggestion was simply aimed at generating a conversation around color control and selection. Whatever the team decides to do/not do with it I know will be for the best.

• 1 year later...

And all colors -- live colors. I didn't know, just heard recently, QuarkXPress has ONLY live colors since beggining!!!

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

10 hours ago, Stephen_H said:

What are live colours? Is it like illustrator’s global swatches? Change a swatch and all instances are updated?

Yes, that is it.

7 minutes ago, Stephen_H said:

Ah, yes because document layout has color consistency as a core principle. I cut my teeth on newspaper and magazine layout so I naturally believe all swatches should be live/global and essential to professional layout & design (though not important for illustration).

Yes, they MUST be ONLY global. Having global and static is just unnecessary and confusing. They ARE important everywhere, even more for illustration.

22 hours ago, Stephen_H said:

Change a swatch and all instances are updated?

Hi @Stephen_H,

I am asking out of curiousity. What is the difference between the 'global' colors you and @Petar Petrenko are talking about and the 'global colours' in Affinity Designer?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @Stephen_H,

I am asking out of curiousity. What is the difference between the 'global' colors you and @Petar Petrenko are talking about and the 'global colours' in Affinity Designer?

d.

No difference. AD's global colors act like all other applications' global colors. Peter was just surprised to discover that Quark Xpress has had them all along. Maybe he thought they were introduced as a new feature or was surprised that it doesn't have different types of swatches? (I can't really speak for him here, but that was the message I got from his post)

For me, Quark Xpress 3.0 was the very first graphics application I ever learnt and it ONLY supports global swatches. Quark's global swatches is so ingrained in me that I find all other "regular" swatches unintuitive, frustrating and very risky to use.

As a side note... InDesign also only supports global swatches. I guess this speaks volumes about color management in professional layout applications and I expect this to be the default swatch usage in the soon-to-be-released Affinity Publisher as well. (Non-global swatches in Publisher will be a fail of epic proportions.)

9 minutes ago, Stephen_H said:

No difference. AD's global colors act like all other applications' global colors.

Hi @Stephen_H,

thank you for clearing this. I was under the impression I had missed something :)

All the best,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

@Stephen_H you understood me 100%.