You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help with brush tool [SOLVED]

I'm having fun learning AD. The "How to tutorials" are great! I do own Xara DP 11 but admit I struggle using it. AD, to me seems easier to learn - perhaps faster, more intuitive. In any case I like it.

I am having an issue with the brush tool. It may be I just don't know how to use it properly or just a Beta bug but I couldn't find any info on that. What I'm trying to do is use brush #14 which has tapered ends, thicker in the middle but all I get are rounded ends. If I select brush #32 or higher they do work as intended.

Any ideas?

Thanks, George

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

The numbers 14, 32, etc are default brush sizes. What names do you see when you hover over those brushes on the Brushes panel? Which category are you choosing from?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Moving to the Questions forum as this is unrelated to the Windows Public Beta.

Mark, I posted in Windows Public Beta because I thought it may be a beta issue.

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 Windows  · Affinity Photo 2.0.0 Windows  ·  Windows 11 Pro 64-bit   ·  AMD Ryzen 9-3900X 12-Core 3.80Ghz  ·  16Gb RAM   ·  Asus DUAL-RTX2070-O8G-EVO-V2 

The numbers 14, 32, etc are default brush sizes. What names do you see when you hover over those brushes on the Brushes panel? Which category are you choosing from?

Alfred, what I'm trying to do is create a line/curve with the tapered shape at the beginning & the end using brush preset #14. All I get is a straight line with rounded ends. I've tried using the pen tool, pencil tool & brush vector tool all with the same results. What an I doing wrong?

I take it from your reference to "the pen tool, pencil tool & brush vector tool" that you're in the Draw persona rather than the Pixel persona, but I'm afraid I still haven't managed to identify the '#14' brush to which you refer.

Alfred spacer.png

post-32393-0-78244600-1468077225_thumb.jpg

I take it from your reference to "the pen tool, pencil tool & brush vector tool" that you're in the Draw persona rather than the Pixel persona, but I'm afraid I still haven't managed to identify the '#14' brush to which you refer.

Alfred - I'm new to AD. I have an attachment to try to explain what I want to do. I assumed Draw Persona would be OK to do this in. I want to select a brush & draw with that shape using Pen, Pencil or Vector Brush. In this case #14 brush has tapered beginning & end, not rounded. I cannot get this to work. In my screen grab I show where brush #64 does work.

attachicon.gifAD.JPG

Alfred - I'm new to AD. I have an attachment to try to explain what I want to do. I assumed Draw Persona would be OK to do this in. I want to select a brush & draw with that shape using Pen, Pencil or Vector Brush. In this case #14 brush has tapered beginning & end, not rounded. I cannot get this to work. In my screen grab I show where brush #64 does work.

I'm also on Windows, so I'm new to this too (although I've been following the Mac discussions for a few months).

As I said in my earlier post, the numbers 14 and 64 are brush widths. My 'Assorted' category has 4, 8, 16 and 32 which are identified as 'Solid Brush' when I hover over them; these are followed by 8, 16 and 32 'Solid Brush with Pressure' brushes, and then 18 and 32 'Solid Brush with Pressure & Opacity' and a few natural media and photo brushes.

Your '14' looks like my '16' in the Solid Brush section, which suggests that you've edited it. What settings do you see when you go into the Brush Editor (either by double-clicking the brush or by right-clicking it and choosing 'Edit Brush...')?

Alfred spacer.png

I'm also on Windows, so I'm new to this too (although I've been following the Mac discussions for a few months).

As I said in my earlier post, the numbers 14 and 64 are brush widths. My 'Assorted' category has 4, 8, 16 and 32 which are identified as 'Solid Brush' when I hover over them; these are followed by 8, 16 and 32 'Solid Brush with Pressure' brushes, and then 18 and 32 'Solid Brush with Pressure & Opacity' and a few natural media and photo brushes.

Your '14' looks like my '16' in the Solid Brush section, which suggests that you've edited it. What settings do you see when you go into the Brush Editor (either by double-clicking the brush or by right-clicking it and choosing 'Edit Brush...')?

I get it now. Next to "Width" is "Controller" which has a dropdown with settings, Brush Defaults, Automatic, Pressure, Velocity & None. I guess AD defaults to "None". Using "Pressure" would not work with the mouse but I do have a Wacom Pen Tablet & seems to work properly, although I do need some practice using the Wacom :rolleyes: . With the mouse "Velocity" did work.

Thanks for your help!  :) 

George

I get it now. Next to "Width" is "Controller" which has a dropdown with settings, Brush Defaults, Automatic, Pressure, Velocity & None. I guess AD defaults to "None". Using "Pressure" would not work with the mouse but I do have a Wacom Pen Tablet & seems to work properly, although I do need some practice using the Wacom :rolleyes: . With the mouse "Velocity" did work.

Thanks for your help!  :) 

George

I'm glad you're sorted, George. Thanks for the feedback! :)

I also have a Wacom tablet, but it isn't currently connected to the machine where AD is installed. However, a pressure profile works fine for me when applied to strokes drawn with a trackball or touchpad. You'll find the Pressure control on the Stroke panel.

Alfred spacer.png