You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Persona: Slices

Thank you bringing this great tool to Windows. I'm using Fireworks (still using) for most of my UI stuff and still love it. But we all know about the future...

I just started to work on some icons in AD and want them to be exported slicewise as svg. The export itself works great (you implemented very good features for naming and format and also the svg-code looks very lean and clean)

BUT:

The Slices panel works awfully slow. Only the slices panel. Clicking on a slice in the panel to select it takes more than 10 seconds. Nearly everything for manipulating the slices in the Slices panel takes that time each click except setting and unsetting the little checkmark. Is it only a problem on my machine?

HW: Dell m3800 Laptop with Win10-64bit.

Thanks for your fast reply. It's independent of the currently opened file. It always behaves like that. So it doesn't make sense to send you a file. Am I am the only one with this problem in the slice panel? 

So I'm afraid it will be very difficult to debug that if you can't replicate the problem on your systems. I don't know what happens behind the scene if a slice is selected but I could imagine that perhaps some external configured components for exporting are requested which may be set differently on my system (I had this issue for example with png export depending on Quicktime in Maxon Cinema 4D v10). 

Is there any possibility for me to get more informations (e.g. logfiles) to send you? 

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.5.0.7 still the same bug. Meanwhile I resetted all settings. Tried with single screen, switched grafic card (internal or optimus accelerated), tried englisch language in settings... still very sluggish performance only in the slices panel of the export persona. Any idea?

Hi Marf

Still having a bit of trouble getting this on our setups. You say it happens for multiple files, are all these file complex or does it happen with just a simple shape etc? Do you have a lot of slices or just a small number. A file would be helpful here as it saves your slice layout so we can see if these factors contribute to the slow down

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

It's also with a complete new document and no content. Just open, new doc, go to export persona, draw some slices. If (and only if) the slice-panel is visible (tab active) every selection and desecection of a slice or drawing new ones is super slow. I think the problem is in the redraw of the slice panel itself. For example drawing slices while the layer tab is active, everything is fast and smooth. As soon as i switch to 'slices' tab the program is busy. Sometimes it is so busy that the circual light blue system waiting cursor appears and the window border is shown with a white frame. This is why i guess Affinity is calling something from 'outside' your programming which makes this trouble and is special in my system configuration. Perhaps some routines are asking for some compression codecs or similar.

Is there perhaps a mode I can start Affinity in via the console and get some debug traces? Or do you have a debug build I can run and connect to the VS Debugger to see some log infos? I really want to help because I really need this great piece of Software ;-)

And yes, as more slices the slower (only if panel is shown)

I had some pretty significant slowdown when I was trying to export the arrows from the attached file. . .

1. Load the file

2. Go to the export persona

3. In the layers panel, select all the layers with blue arrows

4. Press "create slice"

Note that the slicer does a pretty good job, but a few of the multi-piece arrows are broken into multiple slices.

I then went in to adjust those slices so that the multi-piece arrows each got their own slice. Doing this operation became almost unusably slow after a couple of tries.

Windows 10 64-bit. Affinity beta 1.5.07

130_Vector_Arrows.eps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I fount the time to install affinity on an other PC. REsult: The bug does not appear there. So it seems to be something special with my notebook and/or setup: Dell m3800 mobile Workstation with nVidia m1100 optimus graphic. 16 GB RAM, touch screen, actual Win10 version... as proposed before I can offer to help if you have a version putting out debug information while running... I'm afraid It will be hard for you to find out the problem without my laptop ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.