You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm exporting PDFs from AP and pulling into a Quark Xpress doc.

All looks good in preview.

However, when creating a further PDF for print/screen from Quark (300 dpi) all Affinity's PDFs are unusable.

Even as a screen document it's not usable.

Is there a way to set the PDF quality when exporting from AP?

OK.

I've included the PDF exported from Affinity -> imported to Quark -> Exported from Quark with compression set to 'medium/low".

Attached Affinity and Quark dialogue boxes.

Also included is the preview in Quark showing some very odd colours.

Another problem.  I've Exported a JPEG at 300dpi from Affinity.

Import the .jpg into Quark - the dialogue box lists the dpi as "1dpi" with what looks like negative dimensions?? Once imported the page is blank.

See screen dump of Quark's import dialogue.

Some odd things happening.

Probably staring me in the face.

post-861-0-74032000-1414074810_thumb.png

post-861-0-34903900-1414074822_thumb.png

post-861-0-92731500-1414074839_thumb.png

Affinity pdf into Quark pdf.pdf

• Staff

I placed the PDF into InDesign and it looks fine. I can only guess that Quark can't cope with the PDF level we output from Designer at the moment. We are working on adding support for PDF X1-a and Quark might have a better time reading them. I didn't realise Quark was so bad at rendering PDF files, no wonder InDesign won the war.

Never had a problem with it to be honest - support never their strong point but it's not an Adobe product which is always a plus in my book.

My guess is many of your potential customers might be still using Quark - don't you think this is an issue?

So far the only format I can pull right through the PDF process in Quark is a PNG.

Affinity is the only App (Fireworks/Freehand/Photoshop/AI) producing files that are producing problems like this.

Tiff = 'bad file format"

JPG = gives me a resolution of 1dpi and negative dimensions and no preview

PDF = terrible preview file + unusable PDF output (see above)

EPS = no preview file/just a load of lines + "Unable to create the PDF"

I've no idea if any of these files would go through a proper print process but going by the results so far I'd be reluctant to use AD in anything but screen/web work.

• Staff

Does the TIFF work in Quark? It does in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. The only problem for me is that OSX Preview can't display a CMYK Tiff with interleaved data.

Can you post or link the original afdesign file so I can have a look and try different settings.

I can also see how it works in Quark.

Tony - leave it with me.

It was an old Freehand file exported as a PDF then brought into AD then reworked and exported to PDF.

Perhaps there have been bugs introduced during that process? I'm guessing though.

I'll test with some native AD designs before I get back to you.

I realise Quark is a bit of ancient history at the minute BUT if people start to drift from Adobe's subscription model Quark might gain a bit of traction again.

Just used some native AD PDF files.

It went through Quark's PDF process and came out the other side looking OK(ish) but I did get the "Failed the PDF X/1" warning.

I'll put a few more formats through the process and report back.

Stephen

OK.

I've included the PDF exported from Affinity -> imported to Quark -> Exported from Quark with compression set to 'medium/low".

Attached Affinity and Quark dialogue boxes.

Also included is the preview in Quark showing some very odd colours.

Another problem.  I've Exported a JPEG at 300dpi from Affinity.

Import the .jpg into Quark - the dialogue box lists the dpi as "1dpi" with what looks like negative dimensions?? Once imported the page is blank.

See screen dump of Quark's import dialogue.

Some odd things happening.

Probably staring me in the face.

I placed the PDF into InDesign and it looks fine. I can only guess that Quark can't cope with the PDF level we output from Designer at the moment. We are working on adding support for PDF X1-a and Quark might have a better time reading them. I didn't realise Quark was so bad at rendering PDF files, no wonder InDesign won the war.

I would be interested in seeing the actual PDF from Infinity Designer, not the one back out from QXP. I suspect I can pass it along to an appropriate person at Q.

Mike

Just used some native AD PDF files.

It went through Quark's PDF process and came out the other side looking OK(ish) but I did get the "Failed the PDF X/1" warning.

I'll put a few more formats through the process and report back.

Stephen

BTW, I just took a closer look at the Q PDF. Unless there is an OS reason, you should update to the current version. It's a few past where you are at, and 10.5 is due out in a week or two.

There have been several improvements to the PDF placing and output since your version.

Mike

Quark upgrade produced no improvement.

Won't create a PDF using a PNG now - that's more or less all avenues closed.

Still can't understand why it would show a Jpeg as having 1 DPI and negative dimensions?

Do you think it stems form using a PDF to create the initial AD document?