Firstly, thank you to MBd for starting this topic and secondly, thank you meachp for directing me to Dan Margulis.  I did some searching and found out that I had heard of him before, in the past, and was mystified by his knowledge.  However in my search I found this/his website 

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com

and under the heading resources-private resources 

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/private-resources

were these incredible tutorials.  Just a few hours of many hours of resources has shown me that there is so much to learn and so much this AP program is capable of.  

Really worth a look.

And now I have to thank all 3 of you for the information each supplied.  Extremely helpful all of it.  I've dabbled with LAB but not to this degree.

actually bought + read his book "Photoshop LAB color" after your recommendation 

it´s terrific 

thank you very much! 

Firstly, thank you to MBd for starting this topic and secondly, thank you meachp for directing me to Dan Margulis.  I did some searching and found out that I had heard of him before, in the past, and was mystified by his knowledge.  However in my search I found this/his website 

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com

and under the heading resources-private resources 

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/private-resources

were these incredible tutorials.  Just a few hours of many hours of resources has shown me that there is so much to learn and so much this AP program is capable of.  

Really worth a look.

And now I have to thank all 3 of you for the information each supplied.  Extremely helpful all of it.  I've dabbled with LAB but not to this degree.

I sometimes used to have the feeling that there were only Dan and I who bothered with LAB (and I have to admit that most of his stuff goes way over my head) so it's nice to see others are interested too.  Glad to have been of assistance.

has anyone a good suggestion as of how one can "visualize" the LAB input/ output curve?

in RGB it´s pretty straight forward:

the left bottom is black and top right it´s white

- if I want to alter more of the shadows range I pick a point on the bottom

- if I want to make changes to R, G, B or master in the highlight range I modify the curve in the top right part

the L channel in LAB works just the same as one expects from RGB

but I find it really hard to distinguish whether I have to/ want to modify the mid point of a LAB curve or one of the points closer to the ends (as it is now, I just try it out)

Visualization: 

AOponent:  Left is Green <=> Right is Magenta
     down on left side -> more green,
     up on right side -> more magenta,
     middle point: white, up magenta, down green cast

BOponent:  Left is Blue <=> Right is Yellow
     down on left side -> more blue,
     up on right side -> more yellow,
     middle point: white, up yellow, down blue cast

Generally keep the middle point in the center. Move it up or down to correct white balance color.

Example:
With BOponent you can add some warmness moving upper right point to the center but you have to keep the middle point and left part of the curve under control.

Attachement:
WarmFilterInLAB

post-18190-0-36720900-1470014390_thumb.png

MBd said: "the L channel in LAB works just the same as one expects from RGB" - almost.

With RGB you change all color channels with Master curve. Until this is a S-shaped curve, and the midpoint is centered then LAB master can give you very similar effect. But do not even try to move center point up or down with LAB master.

With L component of LAB curves you do not change any colors but only lightness. To obtain a similar effect to L component of LAB with RGB curves you have to use master in RGB curves and HSL layer with HSV mode and with the saturation shift decreased.

This is the beauty of LAB curves. In one place, you change contrast, color contrast, white balance, color casts etc. You can also add to LAB curves blend options.