You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hello all! To celebrate Affinity Photo's first birthday, we're releasing a short set of beginners videos to help people who are new to image editing and the concepts of layers, adjustments, filters and exporting.

The videos have all been transcribed (English UK) and the subtitles are available via the "CC" icon in the bottom right of the video player. You can watch each video from the links below, or see the album at http://affin.co/photobeginners

Additionally, you can download the practice files for the Adjustments, Filters and Exporting videos here: http://affin.co/photobeginnersfiles

Here's the list:

• Opening and Saving: covers how to open and save your images, and explains the benefits of using the Affinity Photo document (.afphoto) format.
  • Layers: explains conceptually what layers are, how they're used, and how they affect your image or document.
  • Adjustments: looks at what Adjustment Layers are, and how you can use them to tonally alter your images.
  • Filters: learn how to use filters to manipulate your images, and get to grips with Photo's unique "live layers" feature.
  • Exporting: find out how to simply export and share your finished images.
We hope these are of great use to people who want a more straightforward grounding in the basics of Affinity Photo, and do stay tuned for further beginners videos in the future.

Main Shortcuts differences between the Mac and Windows version

Windows keyboard shortcut equivalents:

Mac 'Command' key = Windows 'Ctrl' key

Mac 'Shift' key = Windows 'Shift' key

Mac 'Alt' key = Windows 'Alt' key

Mac 'Ctrl' key = Windows 'Right Mouse' button

NOTE: Most recent Affinity videos and tutorials have been made to reflect both Windows and Mac keyboard shortcuts. However there are still some that currently refer only to Mac accelerators.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thank you so much for these very informative videos.  Having just returned to photography after very many years away I purchased Affinity and slowly working through it (being in my late 70's it was a bit of a struggle), now the fog has been lifted.  Once again thank you very much.  I now have a lot more confidence to enhance my photo's.

• Staff

Just after Mark Ingram yet another dog-avatar...  :ph34r:

Cheers James!

Dogs are the new cats! I think I had my dog avatar first though... ;)

You are welcome Gyles, glad the videos are of help, they've long been needed and I'm glad to be able to finally release them!

Hi James - Well done as usual, very nice intro to the program and concepts.  Just one note for someone opening Photo for the first time, they will get the splash screen first by default, not the "blank interface" that you have in the first video.  I had finally turned it off myself, although I do miss it a bit....

• Staff

Hi James - Well done as usual, very nice intro to the program and concepts.  Just one note for someone opening Photo for the first time, they will get the splash screen first by default, not the "blank interface" that you have in the first video.  I had finally turned it off myself, although I do miss it a bit....

Hi Donato, you're right, thanks for the feedback!

• 1 month later...

As instructed in the video in order to select the picture you wish to edit the video says to go to file - open - documents. All of my pictures are stored in my Photos app on my iMac and I do not see Photos appearing as an option when doing this even if I click on the drop down arrow.

Also do I have to import one picture at a time or is there a way to import multiple shots into Affinity?

• Staff

Hi NYC Guy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To access Apple Photos library go to menu File ▸ Open, scroll the list on the left down until you find the Media section then click on "Photos" in that section. Then select Photos on the right section (top) and select the images. To open more than one click on them holding ⌘ (cmd) in your keyboard and press Open.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there.... please could you advise for the "copy right" sign ... have looked around in a couple of places. Have layered my logo on but couldn't figure out where to find ©. I know ctrl/cmd and space bar get it here... but in Affinity I couldn't find it.

• Staff

Hi Debster2016,

Assuming you are using a British keyboard, press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) then press G.

If not go to menu Edit ▸ Emoji & Symbols in Affinity, write copyright in the search box on the top right and double-click the symbol you want to insert it (note that some fonts may not contain it).

I think Debster2016 asked this in another thread. When I type ⌥ (option/alt) 1 I get ©   EDIT, I dont use Brittish keyboard.

When I press ctr cmd space I get the emojis and special signs. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi Debster2016,

Assuming you are using a British keyboard, press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) then press G.

If not go to menu Edit ▸ Emoji & Symbols in Affinity, write copyright in the search box on the top right and double-click the symbol you want to insert it (note that some fonts may not contain it).

Hi MEB

the (option/alt) then press G was a winner. many thanx. 

Sorry Madame, yes I did post my question on another thread. I didn't mean to be rude. ( I couldn't find where I had posted it) and so thought maybe I'd made a mistake in the process. Am really enjoying using Affinity . The forums are great together with the vids and tutorials. I am really pleased with my investment so far this is the first grown up editing/creative tool I've had. I am learning lots. 

Debster, it's fine, we are all beginners at one point. :)
-Glad your enjoying it as much as I do.

A tip is to go up on the top of the site where you can see your nick. Click on the name and choose "My content".

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 2 months later...

its no really hurry yet since the next issue will be in December. But since I always have to work like a madman when time is due I thought about being a little ahead this time

Maybe you who are interested can write a dummy here on this thread so we can all give input and such? Help each other make the best beginners guide there is